what does your hop yard set look like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herne

Reaction score
I am planting 14 new hops. MT hood, Magnum, Chinook, Casscade. I will post pic when my set up is complete. Can you guys post your set ups. Im not sold on mine. Its the original may pole idea with growing lines.

Give us a hint: aspiring pro type "hop yard" setup, or literally fourteen plants at home?

"May Pole" suggests the latter, but one can never tell around here...

Cheers! ;)

hops_17july2013_01.jpg

Here is the trellis I built this spring. My hops are in my front yard next to my driveway so they kind of have to look decent.

20150409_073142.jpg

I built a very basic planter box right outside the west/southwest facing wall of my house and I am going to run a few lines to the roof. Planted Mt Hood from a rhizome and have a nugget rhizome I'm gonna do a similar set up with on the corresponding wall of my workshop. Pics to come.

Nag may, would you mind sharing some details? I'm thinking of a similar build, but just one row. I'm planning on using treated 20 ft 4x4' sunk 2-3 feet and stringing a 3 mm cable Thanks Jem

I remember seeing some of your previous posts about HOA restrictions. That build is the embodiment of the phrase, "Necessity is the mother of invention"!

Thanks. It was a solution to a problem without having to join the HOA board to change the policy. :-D

Nag may, would you mind sharing some details? I'm thinking of a similar build, but just one row. I'm planning on using treated 20 ft 4x4' sunk 2-3 feet and stringing a 3 mm cable Thanks Jem

This set up is at a friends house. They are 16' 4x4's set 40' apart. They are for our hop breeding experiments, so maxing height is not critical. Attached is a panorama looking down from the porch.

At my place, I have a single 30' run that uses 20' 4x6's set 3' in the ground. The post holes are packed with gravel (not cemented), since it's really the trellis wire that holds them in place. At each end, the wire drops to a very large auger-style ground anchor.

My one recommendation would be to go with bigger wire. 1/4" galvanized 7x19 cable is awesome and cheap to since it is a standard for ziplines. You can pick up 250' for $50-60 on amazon or ebay.

Cheers!

IMG_6312.jpg

Uh... Brian4508 wins... By a massive margin.

I'm doing it more for fun than anything else, it's just a raised planter I built that has 4 2'x2' sections (1 rhizome per section). They will only have about 10 ft to grow, but I plan on training them into a criss-cross pattern to give them more length.

I'm doing it more for fun than anything else, it's just a raised planter I built that has 4 2'x2' sections (1 rhizome per section). They will only have about 10 ft to grow, but I plan on training them into a criss-cross pattern to give them more length.

This is what I do at my house. It does work but not 100%. But I'm more than happy with it as they are for homebrewing.

The big farm is my commercial hop yard for selling to breweries. We already sold our future 2015 harvest. Time to expand again!

This is what I do at my house. It does work but not 100%. But I'm more than happy with it as they are for homebrewing.

The big farm is my commercial hop yard for selling to breweries. We already sold our future 2015 harvest. Time to expand again!

Yea I just want the greenery and enough hops for a few beers. Hoping that all 4 make it in the Texas heat.

How big is your commercial farm?

Yea I just want the greenery and enough hops for a few beers. Hoping that all 4 make it in the Texas heat.

How big is your commercial farm?

We are just over 2 acres (2300 hills). Looking to put in another acre this year

I built boxes for my new hops. Made sure to give them plenty of space per rhizome. We plan on trellising them over our deck for shade. I'll post pics once I'm finished. Might even plant lettuce or spinach alongside them in the box. Has anyone ever tried that?

Hailed today and now im wondering if my casscades will bounce back from being mercilessly beaten from the heavens.

tmp_16563-20150416_155004437276076.jpg

tmp_16563-20150416_155009-2035512802.jpg

I'm growing them on a teepee/maypole. It works. Pole is 22feet tall, plants at the base of pole and in a ring 12' dia. I use some old galvanized trellis wire, anchored at each plant to a brick buried about 18" down. They get kind of congested at the top, and I can't just cut the wires to harvest - have to use a ladder; but then the wires are pretty permanent....

20140720-hops-teepee.jpg

I sure am jealous of the real estate people have to work with. This is me squeezing it into my little urban property. It makes a nice tunnel by the fall.

Tip, 5 different varieties in 20 feet is WAY WAY WAY too close together. If I did it again I would do one or two of my favorites.

Hops 2013.jpg

One the right I have my main hop trellis. The line is 550 paracord strung 80ft (only using center 45ft) between two large oak trees. The trellis height is 17 feet. I have 8 crowns in pots or buckets from six varieties. 3 cascade, 1 nugget, 1 centennial, 1 brewer's gold, 1 hallertau, and 1 williamette. All plants seem to be doing well, but the nugget, centennial, and brewer's gold are really starting to take off.

The second smaller trellis on the left is 30ft long and 10ft high. This trellis will be for the hop seedlings I am experimenting with. I have 10 cascade X unknown male seedlings in 1.5 gallon nursery pots that will be strung to the trellis in the next few weeks.

Additionally, this year I am experimenting with growing 2-row malting barley and super sweet corn. In the vegetable garden, the barley and corn are in small 3x8 plots. I'm not sure if I will try malting the barley or roasting it, but the super sweet corn I intend to use for cream ales.

hop yard.jpg

Back