What do you wish you knew on your first E-HERMS brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's a system with homemade controls (I've got a master electrician friend who says I will not blow up) and spike 30gal kettles. I'm planning a 15 gallon batch of Saison.

I did wet testing yesterday and everything runs smoothly and no issues with temp control etc... my question is this:

What do you wish you knew when you first ran your E-HERMS that you do now?
What can I do to maximize efficiency?
Any cleanup tips?

Thanks, I'm beyond stoked... I've wanted to put together an electric system since I first started brewing and came across a great deal used on the kettles and I've been working to put everything together over the last few months... it's Canadian winter so I'm so grateful to be brewing indoors!

1) Don't rush the mash recirculation speed. Let the mash settle after doughing in for 5ish minutes, start the pump slow, let the stuff that made it through the false bottom cycle back on top, adn then slowly increase speed over a 5 minute period to your target recirculation speed. It shouldnt be more than enough to move the top of the liquid in the mash tun around
2) Clean every step of the way so you're not cleaning everything at the end
3) Recycle the hot water that comes out of your chiller's first couple of minutes and fill your HLT from that to use as cleaning water. Free 120 degree plus water!
4) Dont go crazy trying to make the kettles look brand new again. HLT just needs to be drained and dried. Empty the mash tun (Shop Vac works wonders for those last bits of grain after scooping the rest out), transfer your cleaning water + PBW/Oxiclean to the MT, recirculate for 10-15 minutes and give the sides a quick brush with a plastic bristle brush, switch hoses and drain that water over to the boil kettle and circulate again for 10-15 and scrub. Rinse MLT with clean water, drain and dry, then do the same for the boil kettle

A high percentage of rye or turbid mash that settles on the elements can scorch.

Back