What do you use for IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
I have only made 1 other IPA and had used my lager yeast for it(dont remember which one right now that computer with promash crashed). I am going to make an all homegrown hops centennial IPA soon, and was wondering what everyone else uses/prefers for IPA yeast.

In my last IPA my i used the White Labs, California Ale Yeast 001.(It was an American IPA btw) It fermented really vigorously and cleaned up well bringing the FG down to 1.015 from 1.093. I had a buddy that used the Pacman yeast in the same recipe also and his turned out quite well but the 001 yeast is a lil cheaper i believe.:mug:

There are two that I use the most- WLP001 (S05 in dry), and believe it or not, Wyeast 1335- an English strain.

I love that English strain, because it's not "English-y" at low temperatures and it produces a super clear beer that is well attenuated but still with a great mouthfeel.

I also use S04 at low temperatures for some IPAs, as it produces a very clear beer and no esters when fermented at 62 degrees.

I made a two hearted clone that is all centennial and it called for wyeast british ale II.

I also like white labs english ale yeast for another ipa I make. Not quite as dry a finish as the california ale yeast or nottingham.

I like S-05, Wyeast 1332 and 1450... The first is just good overall, the last 2 provide a good malt balance without burying the hops. The 1332 especially I've found to help with a richer mouthfeel.

There are two that I use the most- WLP001 (S05 in dry), and believe it or not, Wyeast 1335- an English strain.

I love that English strain, because it's not "English-y" at low temperatures and it produces a super clear beer that is well attenuated but still with a great mouthfeel.

Because i live in Florida and dont have a Temp. controlled cooler yet, would you use the WLP001 for the beers you knew would be fermenting a little higher like 70-74? Or would you still try the English strain? I love IPA's and would like to experiment some more with them.

I really like WLP051 (same as WY1272) for just about any American style ales. Attenuates well (though not quite as well as 001/1056), flocs well, and produces a nice balance between hops and malt.

Depends what you are after.

Stone IPA uses Centennial as the finishing hops. Stone uses an English yeast; WLP002 or WLP007, not sure which, 007 will finish drier which to my mind is more appropiate.

Because i live in Florida and dont have a Temp. controlled cooler yet, would you use the WLP001 for the beers you knew would be fermenting a little higher like 70-74? Or would you still try the English strain? I love IPA's and would like to experiment some more with them.

You can use a Belgian yeast if you're into that. I'm in the same boat as you without temp control so I brew mostly with Saison and other Belgian yeasts in summer. I'm a hop head and like how the high hopping rates go with the Belgian yeast. I'm actually in the process of getting a temp controlled heater to crank up my temps even more for Saisons this summer.

Definitely NOT an English yeast at 74 degrees, as it would get too fruity/estery and with a distinct yeast character. I have used S05 at 72, and it was good.

For IPAs fermented in low to mid 60s:

*Loved Wyeast 1056, WLP001, WLP007

*Indifferent about WLP002

*Disliked Wyeast 1272

1056 is really popular for IPAs. It finishes pretty dry and really accentuates the hops. The latest BrewingTV episode split a 10 gallon batch of double IPA. They did one with 1056 and the other with a british ale strain I believe. They found out how much more hop forward the batch done with 1056 was

I didn't like 1332 northwest ale, too estery. Greenbelt was alright but the hops did not shine as much as I like and it did not drop out very fast. Denny's 1450 is good but it also is a pour dropper. Normally I use US-05 and most of the time by repitching slurry. It seems best on the second pitch. Now I have a bitter, hoppy red ale made with pac-man. It's eight days old and I'm liking it. 05 dosen't drop out near as well either. I'm defiantly using pac-man more often.

3 days ago i transferred DIPA to 2ndary for dry hopping, same wort in 2 carboys one fermented with pack of US-05, the other one with US-04, i have to say 05 is much better, it attenuated better (fg 1.012) so the hops are beaming, in us-04 carboy fg is at 1.021 and this is masking a lot of hop flavor, i just added champagne yeast to it to take fg down, hope it will work but for next time im using us-05 or over pitching 04 (i like its flavor i just need better attenuation)

S05...dry low yeast character max hoppiness... At least for me... I live in florida and ferment all these bad boys at 60-62 in a swamp cooler. Works like a charm.

ok thanks all. Since my lhbs does not carry wyeast it looks like im going with 001, or s-05.

Latest posts

Back