What do you think of this recipe: Pine & Citrus DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayFrae

Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wanting a pine/citrus double IPA and came up with this recipe. I want a very strong pine aroma with a citrus and pine flavor that leans more towards citrus. I am hoping for some critiques and/or suggestions. Thanks!

:mug:

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Yeast: Wyeast 1272
Est OG: 1.089

Grain:
15 lbs Pale 2-row
1 lb corn sugar
0.5 lb Caramel 40L

Hops:
0.5 oz Simcoe 60 min
0.5 oz Simcoe 30 min
1 oz Amarillo 20 min
1 oz Amarillo 15 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
1 oz Simcoe Hop Stand
1 oz Amarillo Hop Stand
3 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 5-7 days

Just did a DIPA and used White Wheat instead of Crystal malts. Same amount of head retention and it allows the hops to shine in the beer.

Also, I'd use a very clean fermenting yeast such as Safale US-05 or Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast Ale. Or, if you want to use liquid I would go with Wyeast 1056. Again, to let the hops shine through.

Just did a DIPA and used White Wheat instead of Crystal malts. Same amount of head retention and it allows the hops to shine in the beer.

Also, I'd use a very clean fermenting yeast such as Safale US-05 or Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast Ale. Or, if you want to use liquid I would go with Wyeast 1056. Again, to let the hops shine through.

Ok thanks, I will probably just use Wyeast 1272 since I already have it in the fridge. It is supposed to be a higher flocculating version of 1056. I haven't ever used white wheat before but I am trying to stay within the BJCP guidelines. The white wheat would make it too light colored to be within the guidelines. I guess it doesn't really matter but I would like it to be "to style."

Ok thanks, I will probably just use Wyeast 1272 since I already have it in the fridge. It is supposed to be a higher flocculating version of 1056. I haven't ever used white wheat before but I am trying to stay within the BJCP guidelines. The white wheat would make it too light colored to be within the guidelines. I guess it doesn't really matter but I would like it to be "to style."

If you wanted to stay in the style guidelines (style is honestly whatever you prefer) then use just 2-row. It'll give you a great color and would allow the hops to be up front and honest in the beer. I don't think adding 0.5LBS of Caramel 40L or even 1LBS of White Wheat is going to help/hurt much. The coloration on my DIPA was like "morning piss" (honestly the only way I could describe it without a picture). Even with just 2-row and White Wheat! VERY hoppy and great head retention. And at 9%ABV and approx 95IBU it is a very sneaky beer. Easy down then kicks your butt.

If you wanted to stay in the style guidelines (style is honestly whatever you prefer) then use just 2-row. It'll give you a great color and would allow the hops to be up front and honest in the beer. I don't think adding 0.5LBS of Caramel 40L or even 1LBS of White Wheat is going to help/hurt much. The coloration on my DIPA was like "morning piss" (honestly the only way I could describe it without a picture). Even with just 2-row and White Wheat! VERY hoppy and great head retention. And at 9%ABV and approx 95IBU it is a very sneaky beer. Easy down then kicks your butt.

Ok, I will have to give the white wheat a try. Do you get any wheat flavor from it? I am not a big fan of wheat beers but I figure a small percentage won't affect flavor but is just there for head retention, right?

Ok, I will have to give the white wheat a try. Do you get any wheat flavor from it? I am not a big fan of wheat beers but I figure a small percentage won't affect flavor but is just there for head retention, right?

Right!

I was anti-wheat in my IPAs and APAs for a long time, practically militant about my avoidance of wheat since I hate wheat beers, and I don't even eat wheat products!

AnOldUR convinced me that a pound or thereabouts in an IPA would be awesome- and he sent me a few beers to prove it. Since then, a couple of years ago, I also use wheat malt or flaked wheat in many of my IPAs and APAs now for a bit of body and head retention. The beer is still super clear, as it's not enough to give a haze, but it gives a wonderful mouthfeel and head retention to my hoppy beers that I just love.

Right!

I was anti-wheat in my IPAs and APAs for a long time, practically militant about my avoidance of wheat since I hate wheat beers, and I don't even eat wheat products!

AnOldUR convinced me that a pound or thereabouts in an IPA would be awesome- and he sent me a few beers to prove it. Since then, a couple of years ago, I also use wheat malt or flaked wheat in many of my IPAs and APAs now for a bit of body and head retention. The beer is still super clear, as it's not enough to give a haze, but it gives a wonderful mouthfeel and head retention to my hoppy beers that I just love.

Ok, awesome! I am excited to give it a try. I am planning to mash at 153 for 60 minutes. Does that sound about right?

I just brewed this today. I ended up using 16lbs pale 2 row and 1 lb white wheat for the grain. The guy at the LHBS seemed to think I was crazy for not putting any caramel malt in a double IPA. I went with a similar hop schedule but I moved the 30 minute addition to the hop stand. I also added a 1 oz simcoe addition at 15 min. I did a BIAB 90 min mash at 152. This was my first all grain recipe and I hit the estimated OG right on the nose! My brewing partner and I high fived over the OG! I am very excited for this beer. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back