What do you think about my system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I batch sparge and I finally got a pump, I want to continue to batch sparge because I get great efficiency already, but I want to use my pump to recirculate for wort clarity, and to cut back on lifting heavy containers of hot liquid.

I guess it would be considered a recirculating batch sparge, or auto vorlauf?

I tried it yesterday, and what I did was mash like normal, but at the last 10 minutes (60 minute mash) I turned the pump on and recirculated.
Once the time was up I switched the outflow from the top of the Mast tun to the kettle until it was drained.
Then I turned off the pump, poured in the sparge water, turned the pump back on and recirculated for 10 more minutes, then drained to the kettle again.

The wort seemed much clearer, although I tried this the first time with a stout so it was hard to tell.
My efficiency was I think 10% higher, but beersmith is being a ***** right now and I cant get my exact numbers, I don't really care what my efficiency is though, as long as it's consistent.
I realize that without heating it that it will cool down but I figure that it has already converted by the time I start recirculation.

Eventually I will have it all on one stand, right now I'm just testing how it works before I spend the money.

Here are some pictures.
I can't figure out how to rotate them upright.

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

That's really a nice start to what will be a fantastic setup! I hope you feed us some pics along the way.......great start!

Back