What do you ride??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harley trikes are even worse!

I know a few older fellas that switched over to Harley trikes after they got too old and feeble to hold-up a two wheel bike at a stop. They just want to keep riding, in spite of the physical limitations that come with advanced age, and I can respect that.

I also know some younger fellas that ride Goldwing and Harley trikes and I just don't get it. To each his own, I guess. They are annoying to ride with though.

I know a few older fellas that switched over to Harley trikes after they got too old and feeble to hold-up a two wheel bike at a stop. They just want to keep riding, in spite of the physical limitations that come with advanced age, and I can respect that.

I also know some younger fellas that ride Goldwing and Harley trikes and I just don't get it. To each his own, I guess. They are annoying to ride with though.

Physical limitations excluded;)

I actually have far less issue with the trikes than I do the 49 cc scooters. Well, actually it is the riders of the 49cc scooters that bother me. They seem to, for the most part, ride like jerks and annoy the other drivers on the road.

I actually have far less issue with the trikes than I do the 49 cc scooters. Well, actually it is the riders of the 49cc scooters that bother me. They seem to, for the most part, ride like jerks and annoy the other drivers on the road.

I love watching people on scooters with their bodies tucked in like they are effectively shedding drag at a maxed out speed of 35 MPH. Or the guy who insists on wearing motocross chest protector/helmet/gloves on a powder blue Yamaha Razz 50. good times, good times.

I'd ride a Can Am. A Piaggio, too. I ain't skeered. It'd be nicer if the Spyder got better mpg and the MP3 had more power.

Honestly, I'd ride the hell our of a Honda Rukus, if it would survive my daily commute. And that's how I find time to ride. The C50 is my daily driver unless I need to take the truck.

And after low siding on a bicycle, at bicycle speeds, and rashing up a piece of my leg, I'm thinking of adding riding pants to my gloves, jacket and helmet.

I'd ride a Can Am. A Piaggio, too. I ain't skeered. It'd be nicer if the Spyder got better mpg and the MP3 had more power.

Honestly, I'd ride the hell our of a Honda Rukus, if it would survive my daily commute. And that's how I find time to ride. The C50 is my daily driver unless I need to take the truck.

Now a Spider that leaned....

Wow that's a big horse!

I'd like to have one of those Suzuki thumpers. They have a cult like following.

I dig it. I didn't get it because I was specifically looking for that model. I got it because it's a bobber (I was looking for one of those) and it was inexpensive.

It sure is fun to ride though.

1957 Cushman Pacemaker

I do have a 1960 Harley Topper, been a long time since I touched it, engine is in pieces, someday.
Not mine,same colors though.

1960_Harley_Davidson_Topper_Scooter_For_Sale_Left_Side_resize.jpg

I do like my apes. The key is having a good backrest you can lean back into and then your arms don't get tired. I just did a 14-hour ride a couple weeks ago. No issue.

Just don't take them to Illinois. And especially don't go there with apehangers and pull a wheelie or stand while riding. They're liable to lock you up and throw away the key.

Harley Softail Custom, quite modified though. Chopped out, tuned moter etc.

The Metric Sport Tour Ralley in Sturgis SD on June 17th this year... LOL

Concours 14? A PD around here uses one. I see the cop when I gas up some mornings. He likes it. Looks all future cop dressed out in black and white with all the cop gear on it.

He likes it.

I love it - very smooth bike, decent riding position, extremely fast, and even entertaining in the twisties. I've got the bars raised at least three inches, a taller windscreen, and Laam custom seat and did a 700 mile day (Missoula Montana to Custer South Dakota) without too much discomfort - and I'm 50 years old, 6'5", and have already had back surgery. It's no 'Wing, but its not bad... Maybe when I grow up I'll buy a wing... :rockin:

Had not ridden since '82, saw a new bike a dealer had for display in local bank here and it put the hook back in me bad. I ended up buying the Suzuki Boulevard 800. Almost had to teach myself how to ride all over again.

mc.jpg

I ride ATGATT (all the gear all the time) It is a pain at times and I get comments but I've been where you are and it sucks, your finger alright? I think I read one was messed up a bit or just the rash?
Really sucks when you can't get anything out of your pockets ;)

Heal up and ride safe:mug:

And a riding jacket. "Oh. I'll just leave it this time. I'm going the back way. It'll be fine." It wasn't.

35-40 mph

Ugh, that looks painful. Glad the damage wasn't worse though.

I'm the worst about not wearing my gear. Unless I'm going to be on the interstate for an extended period of time, I'm usually just wearing jeans and a shirt and boots. Seeing stuff like this makes me want to reconsider my clothing choices.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yeah. I was ATGATT for a while. Then, I became ATGMTT. I started leaving the jacket at home when I'd be in town or cruising between towns on the slow roads. Always a helmet, though. So glad I didn't go full dumb ass. But dumb ass is what hurts the most. Had I worn all the gear I have, and normally wear, I'd be nearly injury free.

If I can't set a good example, let me serve as a grave warning.
-Some dude

I too am bad about full gear. I tend to skip the jacket when it is hot out. Helmet is law so no chance of me going without that. I do not see the reason for helmetless anyway. Its just not worth it. Always wear your brain bucket. That rash looks painful though. I am sorry to hear you went down, but glad the damage to you wasnt any worse. Heal quick.

And a riding jacket. "Oh. I'll just leave it this time. I'm going the back way. It'll be fine." It wasn't.

35-40 mph

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but I'm glad you posted this (and that you're okay!).

It's a nice reminder... I was debating about going jacket less... Thanks mate!

35-40 mph

Ouch...

I've ridden around the block a time or two without a jacket... I need to quit doing that...

Word. I'm healing up now, but it's a lot of pain and inconvenience that didn't have to happen.

The bike will probably total. That's fine. Hmmm. Indian Scout or a thumper? Anyone ride one of those single cylinder 650s? Savage, S40, Yamaha or ??? Seems there was one in here somewhere. I've said for a while that I'd like one if a good deal came along. I dunno. They look like fun.

For those who haven't wrecked (good on ya) or don't wear a helmet. That helmet saved me. Flat out. I felt and heard my helmet hit the road with a thunk. If that didn't kill me or crack my skull, I'd at least had a serious concussion. Not a walk it off before you go to sleep bump on the head. A full on, head won't stop aching, can't see straight, ears ringing concussion. The kind that leaves a giant painful lump on your head for days. I'd have rode an ambulance to the hospital, and at least stayed the night. Brain swelling. Maybe skull staples. And that's if I wasn't dead. No joke. And all that would have been, no doubt about it, on top of my face and scalp being ground off, and my ear would've been mangled. The helmet may not look that bad because it's white. It's plenty bad enough. Imagine a whole side of your melon looking like my left arm. Imagine chewing food with that road rash on your cheek. Fuq that!

But, since I was wearing a helmet, I have no head injuries at all. None. It didn't even hurt. My glasses even stayed on. I was able to get up and ride the bike to a parking lot, and onto and back off the tow truck when I got home.

That said, even though I cleaned, used peroxide (only once is the rule of thumb now) and bandaged that night. I went to the doctor the next day to get antibiotics and cream. I still got an infection. This is the first wound I've ever had that got infected. My hand and arm to my elbow swole up, and fast. The redness was spreading almost to my armpit. I've now got two antibiotics, two shots of antibiotics, and am cleaning the wound and changing dressing twice a day. It no longer burns like acid on fire (let me tell you, that night, the peroxide pain was searing!), but it still doesn't feel good to touch. At least it didn't start to stink and i didn't get a fever.

I had a SR500, fun bike, slow even hopped up, kick only with a bum knee, she went away. I love thumpers but in my local you need something with some get up and go.
I know Hello on the forum has a Suzuki thumper, S40 or Savage I don't know.
Heal up and be safe.

DSCF0730.jpg

I always gear up no matter how hot it is (Full Face, Mesh Textile Jacket, Gloves, Draggin' Jeans and Boots).

My ride is a non-stock 2002 HD VROD (too many mods to list), bought it 5 years ago and love it. Gives me a sh**eating grin every time I ride. I love the power and it's tall first gear.

right side.jpg

rear view.jpg

I looked into a motorcycle. Then I got an insurance quote. Not happening. Even if I win the lottery I refuse to pay that much on principal. Forget it!

Looked into a summer car as an acceptable stand-in for a bike. Have a nice lead on a low mileage Skyline recently imported. Hoping the stars align for me on this one.

About $300 a year with good driver discounts for full coverage, comp, collision, uninsured and extra medical on a cruiser.

My '07 Honda Shadow was $400/year for full coverage. When I traded it in towards a new-ish (previous year's model) Harley, it shot up to $1600/year - same policy/coverages, only change was the bike being covered. :mad: Definitely going to shop around at renewal time. And will probably avoid buying newish bikes. Or Harleys. :p

Back