What do you guys think?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronFrom

Reaction score
I’m thinking I’ll be fine to boil out on my balcony. We own the place & no where did I agree to not cooking out here, and have used my bbq with no issues at all all year. The bike will be removed & BBQ moved out of the way. I’m going to get a 1/2” sheet of cement board to lay down underneath. I can’t really see any potential issues.. can anyone see anything that I’m missing?? Thanks fellas!

View attachment IMG_1693.jpgView attachment IMG_1696.jpgView attachment IMG_1695.jpg View attachment IMG_1694.jpg

In many jurisdictions you would not be allowed to run either gas appliance on a balcony in a multi-story/multi-family residential building.
That said, presumably HOA's resolve applicable laws with their own regulations, and if they don't have a problem with a gas grill it'd be difficult to justify banning a pot boiler...

Cheers!

Usually the only time there is a problem is when someone complains, then the LLE/FD comes out to "educate"

Where will the wort go (and the water to clean it up) should a significant boil over occur?

Planning on getting a sheet of cement board to lay down underneath, other than that, I’ll just be keepin an eye on it. Water level will be roughly 6” below the top so hopefully it doesn’t. Good observation though!

The fear is that if you knocked over 6 to 7 gallons of boiling water, that could be dangerous to those below you. Not saying you should or shouldnt just that these threads have popped up over the years and this is the discussion. I would keep my mouth shut to neighbors etc, so no one gets nosy. If someone messes with you play it cool and negotiate new brew spot, out of sight, or just find a dark corner. Best of luck.

If you were really worried about boil over or tip over, you could use a kiddie pool, put your cement board in the bottom of that. It would contain the liquids in the event of a spill. Basically the same concept as the trays they put under 2nd story washer/dryer installations (in fact, maybe just use one of those).

Just to add... this would be fine if you're only doing the boil. You may have an issue if you boil-over with cleaning up in a way that doesn't piss the downstairs neighbors off.

When i brew, i have a tendency to just spray water toward the rig/items and let it drain down the driveway. But i have the luxury of a driveway. If you want to just boil on the balcony you'll want to make sure you work out the logistics of using a wort-chiller (running hoses in/out the door to/from the kitchen sink) and cleanup (make sure you can clean out that pot in the sink, or plan to drag it downstairs and out to clean up).

I imagine if you clean up too many times flooding water over the balcony the downstairs neighbors may notice and report you. I don't know how much different that'd be than having some pots and plants drain down due to watering, except the beer/wrot may stank the place up something awful if you're hosing something out.

Back