What do you drink when you come home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Skeptical Cat Is Skeptical^ :D

fwiw, I riffle through my tap list as needed. The last few years that means mostly neipas, with a wcipa for contrast, a fruited wheat, and a huge stout to put me to bed. Which I'm a few minutes from ;)

Cheers!

If I had a super stressful day, I go right for the DIPA. Something like 8% ABV. If nothing stupid happened, I head outside for yard work and take a break after about an hour and have something light like a lager or blonde ale or session IPA.

I try not to drink every day, and I usually save my day's pint for the time after dinner, around 9pm, when everything is done and I just sit back and relax on the couch or balcony.
I don't usually drink beer when I'm thirsty, and only rarely during meals (except at restaurants). I want to be able to really focus on the taste.

That said, when I do drink to satisfy thirst, there's nothing like a cold Helles or Pilsner.

I like to drink the beers that I brew and brew the beers that I like to drink. 5% Pale Ales are my favorite beer to brew, but American IPAs, Porters, Saisons, etc. I find a 4.8% Porter to be very refreshing and stratifying on a hot day while working in the yard. I am trying to brew more small batch big beers that I bottle. I have limited keg space so I avoid having a 9%+ beer taking up space for several months.

I have just never been a fan of pale lager style beers, and I have had many "good" ones. If I am drinking a beer I want flavor from hops, yeast or bold grains. If I am just thirsty I will drink a glass of water. Keeping a keg of carbonated water has been a huge help with keeping my weight in check.

I don't usually drink beer when I'm thirsty, and only rarely during meals (except at restaurants). I want to be able to really focus on the taste.

Yep! I found it was very easy to consume lots of extra calories just downing a beer because I am thirsty or as something to drink during a meal. A simple tip I got from a reddit post was: "If you are "craving a beer", drink a glass of water first; there is a good chance you are just thirsty."

After coming home from work, then getting farm chores done, then coming back in the house. I usually grab a cold home-brewed beer, of whatever type I've got in the fridge as I brew multiple types.

An NEIPA, or…
A Milk Stout, or…
A Gose, or…
An Irish Red, or…
A Dirty Martini with Blue Cheese stuffed Olives

most likely though are the first or last.

When I come home after a long walk (90-120 minutes at sustained pace, it's my training for the mountain), I drink a light, refreshing beer and I drink quite a bit of it (often an entire 66cl bottle). This has to quench thirst and it cannot be one of my homebrewed beers, which are typically a bit too strong both in flavour and in alcohol to be enjoyed alone.
So it's the usual Supermarket stuff (Peroni, Moretti, or some Czech or German beer, mostly Pilsner style, occasionally Hefeweizen) which goes down well and it's good for you, for me, for everybody. Never forget to fight dehydration!

I like to drink the beers that I brew and brew the beers that I like to drink. 5% Pale Ales are my favorite beer to brew, but American IPAs, Porters, Saisons, etc. I find a 4.8% Porter to be very refreshing and stratifying on a hot day while working in the yard. I am trying to brew more small batch big beers that I bottle. I have limited keg space so I avoid having a 9%+ beer taking up space for several months.

I have just never been a fan of pale lager style beers, and I have had many "good" ones. If I am drinking a beer I want flavor from hops, yeast or bold grains. If I am just thirsty I will drink a glass of water. Keeping a keg of carbonated water has been a huge help with keeping my weight in check.

Yep! I found it was very easy to consume lots of extra calories just downing a beer because I am thirsty or as something to drink during a meal. A simple tip I got from a reddit post was: "If you are "craving a beer", drink a glass of water first; there is a good chance you are just thirsty."
This is a good point. I had a bunch of beers last night because I was grilling. Ya gotta drink beers around the grill! But also I drank them because I was thirsty, ended up drinking 6 or 7. Wasn't feeling too bad this morning, but drinking too much always messes my stomach up the next day. Usually a few visits to the throne. Sorry for TMI...

I don't really "come " home since I work from home, but usually after logging off for the day, if I'm not doing anything like a bike ride or something, I'll pour a beer from the kegerator. I like helles, although it's been a while since I made one, and a simple wheat beer or hefeweizen, bitter/Irish Red, and something hoppy like a hazy IPA. I agree with the "if I'm having beer I want something influenced by yeast, hops or bold grains" but occasionally I like the subtlety of a helles.

I don't really "come " home since I work from home, but usually after logging off for the day

Yeah, that is something I have had to adjust to. Instead of getting home at 7:00 to fix dinner, it was way to easy to pour a beer at 5:00...and 6:00 (or course I never poured a small sample at 2:00 too!!).

I made a batch of "hop water" one time and it was sorta refreshing and hit that "carbonated beverage with a touch of hops" craving. I have thought about investing more time to find a better recipe or process. I moved to just having some carbonated water on tap that I either mix with some lemon/lime or (what I usually do now) add a squirt of a "water enhancer" flavoring.

Yeah, that is something I have had to adjust to. Instead of getting home at 7:00 to fix dinner, it was way to easy to pour a beer at 5:00...and 6:00 (or course I never poured a small sample at 2:00 too!!).

I made a batch of "hop water" one time and it was sorta refreshing and hit that "carbonated beverage with a touch of hops" craving. I have thought about investing more time to find a better recipe or process. I moved to just having some carbonated water on tap that I either mix with some lemon/lime or (what I usually do now) add a squirt of a "water enhancer" flavoring.
I have done the same with carbonated water on tap. Ice, salt, and lime, incredibly refreshing on a hot day.

An NEIPA, or…
A Milk Stout, or…
A Gose, or…
An Irish Red, or…
A Dirty Martini with Blue Cheese stuffed Olives

most likely though are the first or last.
I particularly like the Dirty Martini with Blue Cheese stuffed Olives (I love those olives). But, when I get home (leave my home office) I usually will hit the kegerator (right now it has a Cream of 3 Crops, an ESB and an Apricot PA), after that there is no rules. LOL :ban:

drinking too much always messes my stomach up the next day. Usually a few visits to the throne. Sorry for TMI...
I noticed that when I was drinking a bunch of bottle conditioned beers, sometimes I would ingest too much yeast that caused sugars to ferment in the gut causing gas and the scoots... Not so much of an issue if I decant properly or drink off the kegs.... I guess they knew this in earlier times..... Life much better once I identified that, problem solved..!
old label.PNG

Last edited:
I noticed that when I was drinking a bunch of bottle conditioned beers, sometimes I would ingest too much yeast that caused sugars to ferment in the gut causing gas and the scoots... Not so much of an issue if I decant properly or drink off the kegs.... I guess they knew this in earlier times..... Life much better once I identified that, problem solved..!View attachment 733957
For me I think it's the alcohol causing IBS, which I've read is an actual thing. It's always the next morning after eating something. It doesn't usually matter if it's homebrew, yeasty beer, or filtered commercial beer. It doesn't always happen though and I'm not sure why.

My go-to when I get home varies. Bad day? Something I can chug pretty quick to get the memories of the day fading, currently a mediocre Kolsch. Good day? Something I can sip on and enjoy the deep flavors of, currently American Strong, Black IPA a 'la Wookee Jack, or a 6-month-old breakfast stout that I still have some of. Really good day? Coming home to tap something new and discovering it's MUCH better than anticipated. That would be the latest lager, which at 8%ABV could be classed as an Imperial, I just call it damn good. Best day? Coming home to FOUR on tap and I can choose whatever I feel like. Damn I love my kegerator.

This thread took a turn quickly. LOL Actually I've never had that problems (Knock on wood). :mug:
You're lucky! Makes going out to breakfast the morning after drinking a bunch a crapshoot, there I go again...har har.

Funny, I had a friend in town last night and we went out and drank a bunch of beers, woke up a bit hung over, but no stomach issues so far...it's just random. I kind of wonder if it happens when I'm drinking too much too often.

I find it's really nice to come home and pour off about a 1/2 pint of whatever I have in the keezer that is pale and hoppy. It resets my brain so I can go out and do yard work, other computer work, cook dinner for the family, whatever. If I do more than 8oz, then I'm not going to get much other stuff done. Not that taking an afternoon or evening off is a bad thing, mind, just that a full pint leads to two, and....

Back