What do you do with your spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
Just moved to a new place and brewed 2 beers on Sat. late into the am. Quickly remebered after I had 25lb of (dry) grain I had no plans for the spent grains after (they ended up in a garbage bag and are awaiting trash day Friday, yuck). Previously I was able to dump them away from where I was staying, now I am renting.

My dog loves them. They also make great compost for a vegetable or flower garden.

during the summer i would either put them in our compost pile or use them to mulch my hop plants...now that winter is upon us i'm going to make a pile behind the garden and in the spring use them to make a mushroom patch

I started using spent grains in homemade bread. No real recipe. Just half a cup or so added to whole grain flour, etc. I got the idea from an article at the AHA site. I didn't want to go to all the trouble of drying and milling like they did in the article. Doesn't even begin to put a dent in the used grain but makes for a robust loaf. The rest goes on the compost pile.

Todd

I put them out to the curb for yard waste pickup. It comes weekly on Mondays so it's perfect timing after a brew weekend. I think there is also an article in either BYO or AHA that provides direction on turning it into flour for baking.

We make dog treats from the spent grain. I don't do all grain batches so the amount of grain isn't large and the recipe only calls for 4 cups of spent grain.

All good ideas - compost (hard for renters), bread or muffins (if you or a friend bakes), dog treats (for you or a friend) -- also nice as feed for anyone you know who has livestock from chickens on up to cows or horses.

You can dry them and turn them into spent grain flour

Compost em

Save a few cups in the freezer and pull them out whenever you want to make spent grain pizza dough/rolls/whatever. I like to do 1:4 spent grain to flour...from personal experience any more than that can sometimes lead to an upset GI tract from all the fiber in them. But man is it filling.

Dog Treats! Really simple recipe:

2C Flour
1C Spent Grain
2 L eggs
1C pumpkin or peanut butter

Bake em at 325 for 30 min, then down to 225 for about an hour to dry out completely

I've been putting them either in trash or garden. I'm going to try the bread thing from now on. Maybe every batch of beer I'll do will have a matching loaf of bread to go with it.

I dump them on the edge of the woods. The next day I go see if the deer found them. Most of the time they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is great feed for livestock because the most sugar is gone and all of the protein is left. Breweries usually sell their spent grain as feed. If you know a farmer ask him/her if they want it. Because it is wet it needs to go straight to feeding or it will mold and be no good. Same for making bread. Dry it or put it in the freezer til you need it.

Try to give them to some kid with a 4H animal project...otherwise, trash.

The wildlife in the backyard love me! I just toss my spent grain behind the shed where all the deer hang out. The rabbits love it as well.

All spent grains go into the woods.

I've only made 2 batches of beer, but I used my spent grain on dog biscuits and pizza dough. My dogs went nuts over the treats.

You can dry them and turn them into spent grain flour

Compost em

Save a few cups in the freezer and pull them out whenever you want to make spent grain pizza dough/rolls/whatever. I like to do 1:4 spent grain to flour...from personal experience any more than that can sometimes lead to an upset GI tract from all the fiber in them. But man is it filling.

Dog Treats! Really simple recipe:

2C Flour
1C Spent Grain
2 L eggs
1C pumpkin or peanut butter

Bake em at 325 for 30 min, then down to 225 for about an hour to dry out completely

I compost mine, as my dogs are predominately grain-free. That treat recipe looks good though, might make some Brewer Treats!

I dump mine in the yard for the deer. Sometimes my dogs go out and eat them.

I compost 'em, or feed 'em to pigs at a farm near where I work.

I think over the holidays, I'm going to try make pine cone and suet feeders with some. Roll a pine cone in softened suet, and then in birdseed...in this case, spent grain.

Sounds like a plan...I have an excuse to brew a small batch, and then I can "do a project" with my cousin's kids, or SWMBO niece...beer+craft+nature study=happy me, happy kids!

The spent grain chef link is great! It even tells how to dry them for making flour. I dry them a few hours in a 200F oven till fluffy. That's how you tell if they're dry. Then I use my Mr Coffee burr grinder on the finest espresso setting to make flour. I doubled the recipe for the spent grain pretzel buns for burgers. Springy & good! Also good in biscuit dough for biscuits, or country style pizza dough. here's a couple pics;

These were made with spent grain flour mixed with regular flour. Spent grains from PM IPA.

My buddy's Chickens love when they see my truck pull into the driveway. We make some dog treats once and a while for the pooch.

I dump them in my neighbors yard because we have been feuding for about a year now and i do anything to make his life a living hell :mad: LOL! just kidding, he has a compost pile and he asked me to dump my spent grains in there

Chickens love grain. My parents chickens are good for over a pound per chicken per day. I swear the eggs taste even better because of it :)

I feed them to my chickens. They can devour 15# spent grain pretty quick. I pour in to a pile and they scratch it out and pick thru it.

Yep, Central Texas deer are small. Plus, it keeps them from getting hit by cars. Seriously- my dogs are miniature schnauzers. *sometimes my dogs go out and eat the grains, instead of the deer.* :)

What are you guys talking about. I eat my spent grain! It's delicious! My wife is extremely resourceful.

Spent Grain Granola (low fat version)
158 calories per 1/2 cup
Tasty and chewy

3 cups of spent grain from brewing beer (i.e., used malted barley)
2 cups of dry oatmeal (not quick cooking kind, just regular oats)
1/2 cup of wheat germ
1 oz. chopped walnuts
1 1/2 oz. sliced almonds
1/2 cup sucanat
2/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of applesauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
salt to taste
1/2 cup raisins
24 dried apricots (cut into small pieces)

1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Mix the following: (spent grain, dry oatmeal, wheat germ, chopped walnuts, sliced almonds)
3) In a sauce pan, heat the sucanat, honey, vanilla extract, applesauce, olive oil, molasses until it's all well combined and the sucanat is melted.
4) Add the sugar mixture from step 3 to the dry ingedients.
5) Spread into a thin layer onto two large cookie sheets.
6) Apply a sprinkle of salt over the ingredients on the cookie sheets.
7) Place coookie sheets on racks in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
8) Remove the cookie sheets and stir the granola on the sheets.
9) Place back in oven on reversed oven racks (the sheet that was on the bottom rack place on the top rack).
10) Bake for another 20 minutes.
11) Remove the cookie sheets and stir the granola on the cookie sheets again as in step 8.
12) Place back in oven on reversed oven racks and bake for another 10 minutes (for a total baking time of 50 minutes) Note: if you want the granola more crunchy bake longer.
13) Remove sheets from oven and cool to room temperature.
14) In bowl, mix granola with raisin and apricots (or any other fruit of your choosing).
15) Store the granola in an airtight container.

Add other fruits and nuts that you might like. Can be made crunchy by baking it longer but I like it chewy. Try it!

The last flock of chickens had finally stopped laying so they're all in the freezer now. The new flock is getting their first taste of brew grains today.
They're about 3 months old right now.

View attachment 241649

Curious...what do you mean by 'in the freezer now?'

Do you kill your chickens and freeze them once they stop laying eggs and get a new batch? I ask because I intend on getting chickens one day.

Local brewery puts theirs in a dump type trailer and the day of brewing the spent grains are hauled 2 counties away to a farm and used as cattle feed, still protein in the spent grains. No more than I use, mine are dumped in the garden. Ever wonder where the big breweries dispose of theirs? Look at ingredient labels on both livestock feed labels and dog food labels, listed as "brewers dried grain". There are companies that haul grains off and dry them, they are then packed and shipped (usually by rail car) to the end user.

Tony

Curious...what do you mean by 'in the freezer now?'

Do you kill your chickens and freeze them once they stop laying eggs and get a new batch? I ask because I intend on getting chickens one day.

Eggsactly.

They aren't as large (3 to 3-1/2#) and tender as store bought, but at least I know what they ate and how they lived. I just brine them overnight and grill them usually. My wife and I just processed 8 of them a couple weeks ago.

They are fine to just spread out in the grass.... I generally dump them around the base of my trees....

I've made dog biscuits before... but sometimes I don't have time or it is more work than I want to do.

Latest posts

Back