What do you do with your sankey spears?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbognerks

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has found a use for the sankey spears they removed from their kegs when converting to keggles. Seems like a waste of some perfectly good stainless tubing.

I have sword fights with them. Beyond that...they just sit on my garage floor as I feel like they could be useful, so I don't want to get rid of them.

Well I searched before making this thread and came up empty. But after I made the thread, I looked at the bottom for "Similar Threads" and found that Bobby made sight glass guards. Some others have made mash paddles and sparge arms.

Can't wait to see some creative stuff here. I have a pile of them and keep thinking I should just take them to the scrap yard for cash... give me a better idea and I'm all ears!

Ive seen someone on here turn them into sight glass protectors by CAREFULLY runing them across what looked like a table top router. The router was used to plunge cut a section out of the middle then cut the top off at a 45 to allow you to put screw into the side of a keggle with a rubber washer to hold it in place.

wait what? what's the ID/OD?

i just bought a 72" length of 316 tubing to make carboy thermowells....

Just curious if anyone has found a use for the sankey spears they removed from their kegs when converting to keggles. Seems like a waste of some perfectly good stainless tubing.

Turned them into mash paddles by slitting them open and spreading them out flat except for a handle area.

got a pic of the mash paddle?

No, I don't. When my brew buddy moved, he got that part.

Just picture taking a paper towel roll, cut a slit a few inches long up the length of the tube, starting from the end, then another cut crossing the "T" so you can lay it out flat like you are flaying open a fish.

The top of the tube will stay intact so you have a nice round handle.

Back