What do you do with your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
Title is self explanatory. Tell us what your system size is, and what you typically do with your beer

For instance, heres me

Brew setup - 3vessel 120v e-herms setup with 5 gallon finished batch size

What i do with my beer - I brewed a lot in 2019 and found that except for the stuff that i personally love like NEIPAs and Milk Stouts, having people over in medium to large size parties made my kegs kick. But if we didnt host much, i would find my kegs would sit around for a while before they got finished. For instance i still have a gingerbread stout, a chocolate raspberry milk stout, and an Experimental hop IPA in my keezer that i brewed in late november, and they're like still at least half full.

Brew setup - At the movement i BIAB over propane on my back deck, for 5 G finished batch(eventually it will be EBIAB, keeping it simple).

What i do with my beer - I drink my beer, and give dad a few in bottles. Right now I have a blue moon in bottles and a boston ale clone legged. I try to only brew a few beers so that I can tweak my process and fine tune the recipes to my likeings.

Brew set-up - BIAB 5 gallon batches with 15 gallon Blichmann kettle over propane in garage. 3 gallon BIAB batches in 8 gallon kettle on kitchen stove in winter. Anvil Foundry is on my future purchase list.

What I do with my beer - Drink it, share it with friends, bring to club meetings. Also enter 15-20 comps a year, where I do fairly well, winning 36 medals/ribbons over last two years. Brew a lot of lagers and use the Low Oxygen method for those, as I continue to perfect the German "it" factor in my lagers.

Brew set-up: Electric K-RIMS 5-10 gallon batches run with a 30A BIAB controller. Two different fermenters depending on batch size.

What I do with my beer: Share about 2/3 of the batch with friends. Drink the rest with my son.

Now that I have everything converted to electric and have one batch under my belt (Bottling first batch this weekend), I am going to start experimenting around. Hopefully I can come up with some really good beers that I can send to competitions.

Bottling: Irish Red
Up Next: A Blonde, then likely a chocolate/oat brew. Then likely a large batch of my spiced heff.

Brew set-up: I brew 5 gallon batches with the 120V Digiboil. BIAB with a Wilser bag. I ferment in a keg, aiming to fill it pretty much to the top (where the keg starts to curve) and I install a blow-off. When that dies down, I use a spunding valve to carbonate.

What I do with my beer: I mainly drink it myself, but occasionally have some people over.

2.5 to 3.5 gallon batches, BIAB, in a five gallon kettle, on the stove top. Used to do five gallons split between two pots but found smaller batches more manageable and the fit my consumption better.

I drink most all my beer except for the occasional family gathering.

Lots of beers with lots of wheat last year. Went through as much, if not more, wheat as barley.

Trying now to come up with something about 4 to 4.5 percent abv with FLAVOR. Just bottled a Centennial Blonde. Got a Cream of Three Crops in the fermenter.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited:
10 gallon 3 vessel system. Fermentation chamber. Drink most of it, give some away. Most of my mates have really poor taste in beer, most are addicted to coors lite. Ohhhh the horror!
Eric

Brew setup - 3v2p single tier fully manual gasser herms, 11 gallons to the fermentors.
What i do with my beer - I have sons in their late 30s/early 40s, and a modest group of friends, that help the Spousal Unit and I knock off between 160-180 gallons per annum. Frankly I enjoy brewing too much to slow down so I'll drink more if needed ;)

Cheers!

I have a keggle, Igloo cooler setup to produce 10 gallon batches. I use 2 different chest freezers I converted into fermentation chambers, which allows to to ferment 2 10g batches simultaneously at different temperatures. I have a bottle cooler with 8 taps and a kegerator with 4 additional taps.

What I do with my beer:
I'm trying to go pro. I created a brewery called Brew All Day as we focus on roasting coffee and brewing beer. We travel to beer festivals and serve our beer for feedback and to test how receptive different markets are to our beer. Last year we made 350 gallons of beer and went to 10 festivals. Of course, I also drink a good portion of it for R&D purposes lol!

Brew setup: Grainfather

What I do with my beer: like most others drink it and give it to friends to sample.

2.5 to 5 gallon batches BIAB stovetop, but occasionally use mashtun/keggle propane, all consumed by myself and G/F. Sometimes provide kegs for events. Also make cider and wine. New years resolution is to brew session beers and drink less alcohol overall. So far, I'm doing it, but my large stash of high ABV brews keeps crying for attention......
:bott:

so out of curiosity, for those that give beer away, do you give 1 away, or a 6 pack, or a 12 pack( talking 12 oz bottles)? I do have a few co workers that have asked about me giving them some beer, but i'm not sure what to give. For the most part, i do drink all the beer that I do make.

30 gal Spike, 3 vessel system with homemade control panel and RIMS 120 V into a 20 gal SS jacketed conical and various other fermenters.

Drink with Family & Share with friends!

Last edited:
I brew 5 gallon batches using a 3 vessel system: electric 10 gallon Spike kettle one 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and another 5 gallon one. System is powered by a 240V Blichmann controller and includes a riptide pump and a stainless CFC. I brew in my cellar with the help of a Condenser Boss steam condenser.

My wife, son and myself drink most of the beer, but once a month or so, we open the bar up for neighbors, friends, other family members and guests. Everyone is so happy to help me consume the free offerings.

Title is self explanatory. Tell us what your system size is, and what you typically do with your beer

For instance, heres me

Brew setup - 3vessel 120v e-herms setup with 5 gallon finished batch size

What i do with my beer - I brewed a lot in 2019 and found that except for the stuff that i personally love like NEIPAs and Milk Stouts, having people over in medium to large size parties made my kegs kick. But if we didnt host much, i would find my kegs would sit around for a while before they got finished. For instance i still have a gingerbread stout, a chocolate raspberry milk stout, and an Experimental hop IPA in my keezer that i brewed in late november, and they're like still at least half full.
i drink it...marinate with it ...my wife (before she became allergic to tomatoes) would add a bottle of beer to her outstanding italian meatballs. Make up the raw meatballs ,pour a beer over the top and let them sit and marinate overnight in the crockpot placed in the fridge Then cook them the next day. She also adds a bottle to red sauce (spaghetti).
Otherwise , I brew for mainly my own enjoyment . I bottle (5 and 6 gallon batches) so we have a wide variety at all times.

Brew setup: 10 litre Braumeister for 2.5 gallon batches, Anvil 4 gal. fermenter or 3 gal. keg under pressure. I use 2.5 gallon kegs for serving. For styles I only want occasionally or for BYOB purposes, I also brew 1 gallon batch BIAB packaged in swing-top half litre bottles.

What I do with it: As the only drinker in my house, I make it disappear 1 pint a day at a time. Hence my small batches!

Brew setup: I brew 5 gallon batches biab on the stove top in my apartment kitchen.

What I do with my beer: My wife and I drink just about all of it. Every once in a while I'll give a growler to a friend.

Set up: SS Brewtech 11 gallon boil kettle, 5 gallon BIAB batches, recently got a second brewbucket and second ferm chamber.
I give away A LOT of beer. Gave as gifts one gallon UKeg Growlers to 2 family members and 2 friends. Unlimited refills. Started bottling with a TapCooler and now give out 6 packs to other friends (often 2 of each brew I have on tap). Weekly running/drinking event with friends that consume 1-2 gallons (whatever I bring, they drink). I enjoy brewing more than drinking but I do drink my share!

Set up: Batch sparge, 15g Kettle, 2 10g kettles, 3 mash tuns, 2 burners :smh:(This is why you figure out what you want your system to be instead of starting with 3g stove top then going to 5g set up, to split 10g batches to straight 10g batches)

I drink most myself but for birthdays and holidays people normally get a sampler 6 or 12 pack depending on what I have done

Setup: 5-6 gallon batches; 10 gallon SS Brewtech kettle and igloo mash tun on propane, batch sparges; Anvil bucket for fermentation (occasional 6.5 gallon carboy for high gravity aging);kegged in 3 & 5 gallon kegs served from 3 tap refrigerator.

I drink most of mine 1 pint a day. Friends and family get 1 liter bottles from the kegs. I have to consider smaller batches or drink more to have the variety I want. When son was in grad school locally, he and his roommates made it easy to keep a good rotation.

Brew Set Up: 20L Braumeister since 2012. Before that about 20 years graduating from extract to Igloo to BIAB. Ferment in SS Brew Tech temperature controlled (glycol and heating pad) Unitank and Chronical. Trying to do as much LoDO as I can.

What I do with my beer: Mostly experiment and attempt to clone different beers I've discovered through years of travel. Keep a constant rotation in a two-tap kegerator for myself, my son, my son-in-law, and selected guests. Take kegs to group camping excursions and college tailgates, as well as extended family vacations to the Outer Banks. Enter around 10-15 beers each year in competitions.

I have a 3 tier, NG HERMS, all manual, up to 20 gallons in the fermenter. 5 gallons was a horrible size for me.

I brew a lot of beers that condition well. I bottle those in 750ml bottles and drink those over the year. I have a nice basement cellar that stays nice and cool.
Lighter beers and IPA see the keezer. I give some of those away. I usually give beers away in 2 liter bottles. Generally I drink with friends that come by my shop.

Setup: spike 3 vessel herms electric 50A with home made panel. 30gal kettles I typically do between 12-16 gal batches and ferment 4 gallons at a time in corny kegs. I serve in the same kegs in a 6 keg keezer. Typically under gas and gelatin they are cold, carbed and clear in under 3 days from end of ferment.

What I do with my beer: I drink it! Share with friends or have a bud brew with me and send home with 4 gal for them. 4 gal batches clean up to around 3.5 gal once I suck the yeast cake out which is a nice size. I do a lot of split batches when possible different yeast or dry hop or add some post boil fermentables like sugar or honey etc for variety keg to keg. Just enjoying the last of a pale ale some Irish red, a light ipa and up next is chimay red clone and a German style Pilsner on kveik yeast.

Set Up: 2.5 gal BIAB on an induction plate. All bottles so far, but I have a keg waiting for it’s first beer.

What I do with my beer: drink it mostly myself. I am working on brewing BMC friendly beers to get my friends to try some.

10-15 gallon all grain batches, tremendous variety of styles, anything from English, German, American IPA, Belgians including sours.
Normally I let it sit around in kegs for a month or two, and then I start flushing it down the toilet on pint at a time. Seriously my garage used to be a hangout for lots of "good" beer drinkers, but now I've moved and live far from people so my brewing will decrease 90% to what I can reasonably drink by myself and my family.

Set Up: 2.5 gal BIAB on an induction plate. All bottles so far, but I have a keg waiting for it’s first beer.

What I do with my beer: drink it mostly myself. I am working on brewing BMC friendly beers to get my friends to try some.
We used to have an Oktoberfest every year-it started as strictly a homebrewer's party but eventually grew to be a neighborhood party with lots of BMC drinkers. Every year I would brew at least 20 gallons of rauchbiers using malt I smoked with different woods. Those kegs would always be the first to float, and it was the BMC drinkers who were the biggest fans of smoked beer. Don't underestimate BMC drinkers ability to adapt to something new-brew for yourself and let them try beers you like.

20 gallon 3 vessel Spike system I tend to brew 12 gallon batches some 6 gallon and occasionally bigger ones or double batches.

I have 3 18 gallon Speidel fermenters 2 7 gallon Speidels a 15 gallon spike and a 12 and 7 gallon Ss Brewtech acquired over many years.

I tend to brew Brett beers, mixed fermentations, Belgians and a few IPAs and Stouts. I really like the funky stuff and sours.

I have a 5 tap keezer. I also cork and cage the mixed fermentation beers, some Brett beers and specialties that can age really well. I have a Brett beer that I brew every year on or around New Year’s Day it is really fun to do vertical tastings of vintages dating back 8-9 years. I also can from taps.

I drink my fair share of the beer I brew. We also have a lot of parties that put a pretty good hole in the inventory. I give a lot away either in cans or some of the bottled beer. I would love to join a club and enter more competitions if I could find the time. Hoping to build a dedicated brewery/bar/party area in the very near future. I would love to have a cold room and cellar area for aging bottles.

Set-Up: Modified mash & boil / BIAB for 2.5 & 5 gallon batches

What I do: Drink most of it. I have a 2 tap keezer setup that always has something dark like a stout or porter (venturing into a dunkel soon) and something like a pale ale/IPA, cream ale or blonde. I drink at least 2 pints of something a night. I experiment with 2.5 gallon batches that I bottle for R&D and give the majority of it to friends for feedback.

5,10 and 15 gallon batches depending on the beer.

we drink a good portion of it ourselves, I take growlers to the office, parties, and neighbors houses as well.

I take growlers to my local breweries, the brewers are typically interested in what I have going on. I’m building the brewery/pub in my house for a place to chill and have people over.

I have a 10 gallon electric Kettle Rims System and I try to brew about 20 or so times a year...so hopefully 2 times a month or so. Depending on the beer, I'll make 5-10 gallons at a time. I usually brew for family cookouts so last year, the family went through 5 gallons in 3 hours so this year I'll have to make 10 gallons to keep the flow going, haha. I have 5 taps at home which I like to keep filled with 5 different beers since I like variety. I bring beer to work almost weekly and then to get togethers with friends. I'll usually have an IPA, NEIPA, some sort of porter/stout, a light lager for the BMC crowd and the uncles I have and a cider. I also enjoy brewing for the season's so soon I'll need to brew up my annual Irish Blonde Ale for the spring time and then it'll be crushable lagers for the summer.

Brew Set-Up: Mill with a JSP MaltMill. Rectangle blue cooler MLT lined with a BrewBag, recirculated thru a Brewhardware RIMS via Chuggar, controlled by an Inkbird PID. Boil on a 3.5kW induction cooktop in a 10 gal BrewBuilt kettle. BrewBucket FV in an old fridge ferm chamber controlled by Auber Plug n Play. Dispense and Lager/Condition/Mature in an old side by side fridge. Lager/Condition in the freezer side controlled by an Auber Plug n Play, mature and serve from the refrigerator side thru Perlick Flow Control faucets.

What I do with my beer: I have a two week rotation pipeline. One 5 gal batch = 30 Imp pints. 2-3 pints an evening = 10-15 days from tap to kick.

Every other week: one in FV, one in lager/condition, one ’on deck’ mature, one serving. One keg kicks, lift and shift: move beer from FV to empty keg into lager/condition, move keg from lager/condition to ‘on deck’ mature, move ‘on deck’ mature to serve. Clean FV, brew, fill FV and start pipeline all over.

Last edited:
Brew setup - Grainfather Connect 220V / 5 Speidel fermenters ( 30L/7.9 gal ) / I bottle condition all my beer ( not much of an IPA/NEIPA drinker ) / I always brew 5 batches - love the diversity / I usually get anything from 5.5 to 6.5 gallons finished product

What I do with my beer - I drink myself and share beer with people, like my father, my girlfriend's father, friends, etc. I

Setup: 13 gal. BIAB, 18 gal. vessel on 3,5 kW induction. Lately a lot of lagers, but all kinds of beer.

What I do with my beer: drink it myself with friends (never alone), share a lot with other homebrewers, use it as a gift for birthdays or whatever

Brew Setup: 15gal Brew-Boss BIAB electric kettle with COFI filter. Ferment in two SS brew buckets (7gal) with independent temp control for each. Brew mostly stouts and IPA's but starting to branch out and begin lagering.

What I do with My Beer: I'm in the process of building a keezer but usually have at least 2 kegs on tap at home that the wife and I drink most of. I also have two portable coolers with taps for serving on the go which has been great for family get together's and parties with friends. Most of my kegs get kicked at these parties which is great because it frees up kegs for more brewing. The ales and IPA's are usually the first to go. The stouts tend to last a few months.

Back