What do you do at your job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very kewl! Although I understand the main board in the foreground, but what do the two dudes in the farground on either side of the room do?

My room runs an internship program where students can come and work full time in my room as a sound effects editor. It is post graduation, so they can see what would be expected of them in a full time situation before heading to big markets like LA, NY and Atlanta. My room is a hybrid, professional/classroom facility, so those guys in the front are cutting all of the sound effects and dialogue tracks for a student thesis film we are mixing tomorrow.

Switchman/ conductor for the railroad ..I work In the yard and build trains with a remote controll strapped 2 my chest that operates the locomotive ..100 car trains getting pulled with a remote controll pretty crazy stuff

I sit in a place where not everyone can get into, interact with the world remotely by what appears to be invisible magic, speak only to a select few people, do things that others think is completely unreasonable, and sometimes hear their protests about it, am rarely seen, and control the lives of billions of organisms much smaller than myself.

animal tester for pharmaceutical company?

i sit in a place where not everyone can get into, interact with the world remotely by what appears to be invisible magic, speak only to a select few people, do things that others think is completely unreasonable, and sometimes hear their protests about it, am rarely seen, and control the lives of billions of organisms much smaller than myself.

scada, wwtp

I'm a philanthropic adviser and Fundraiser of major gifts. Amazing to see what peoples perceptions of money are...

I used to think $1000 was a lot of money... Now even $100K isnt really considered a big donation these days... Damn kids and their facebook and gameboys.

scada, wwtp

This is control. Go ahead. :D

I started as a muck raker. Quickly got into the control room. Took some dev classes, and became a sort of short order in house developer. Mainly graphic and housekeeping stuff. Alarm management. I make squiggly lines out of numbers, too, and build gigantic spreadsheets. And sometimes, they even still let me operate the plant. They don't like it much though when I call it a Nintendo and say I'm playing SimShty.

And some of you, what your job title is and what you actually do doesn't quite match with what I imagined. I know how that goes.

I'm a philanthropic adviser and Fundraiser of major gifts. Amazing to see what peoples perceptions of money are...

I used to think $1000 was a lot of money... Now even $100K isnt really considered a big donation these days... Damn kids and their facebook and gameboys.

A grand is a large amount of money for a normal person.

Sort of. I consider myself to be a normal person and a grand is a good bit to me, but when its a contract's money... Not so much.

Network Administrator / IT / Systems Administrator / Render Farm Wrangler

I do all the IT support for an automotive stock photography company. I handle all the end user support requests, keep our SAN running (currently 2 Xsan deployments with 4 Volumes - 244TB, 144TB, 78TB, 36TB) Admin all our servers (12 Apple Xserves & a couple of HP's running Cent OS) and run our render farm (40 RenderBOXX nodes running Cent OS and 70 Mac Mini's running Cent OS)

So ya most of my day involves reddit, and waiting for support requests. The rest of the time is asking people if they've tried turning it off and on yet, and installing / testing **** on the render farm.

Nice to see some WwT guys here. I'm currently a telemetry systems engineer for a Water and Wastewater company here in England. Lots of top end systems integration stuff trying to get our local SCADA and simple PLC networks to play nice with our integrated control centre master system.

One day I'm going to build that one touch brewing system I've been talking about (and scavenging components for) for years.

I teach in South London, innit bruv. I get 13 weeks holiday each year :)

I've just finished a half term of volunteering to run an after school STEM club in one of our local schools one day a week. Great fun to see them engage with science and engineering but it has to be the closest thing to herding cats I've ever done

I've just finished a half term of volunteering to run an after school STEM club in one of our local schools one day a week. Great fun to see them engage with science and engineering but it has to be the closest thing to herding cats I've ever done

Haha! It can be like that at times...

I weld farm sprayer parts and airport support system parts. I also show people how to weld things they should already know by now. our old boss didn't like cross training and I apparently know more about proper weld procedure than guys that have been there for nearly 20 years. I like helping others learn things like direction of pull and proper tacking/welding order. from time to time I also make small fixtures to help different jobs go easier and more consistently. our new certified weld inspector is happy with my work so I'm happy.

I am a Deputy Sheriff on road patrol in somewhat rural Missouri, real estate agent (barely), and I own my own 100% Dirt to Shirt American Made apparel company called Old Glory Grit. I just started the last approximately a month ago and do all the artwork down to making my own screens and printing press. Using brewing as a means to blow off steam and do something I've always wanted to do.

I run a major pizza place, and I've never met Peyton. Next time your pizza is late, be nice to manager. He's trying to modivate millennials and minimum wage adults to show up to work, and then do thier jobs in a timely fashion.

Airport Superintendent of Operations
Run the day to day operations at Los Angeles International Airport. Ensure that airport in within compliant of 14CFR139 and that it is safe for air travel. I run daily inspections in both the terminals and the airfield. Also, I work with gate management, assigning airlines and cargo carriers their gates, ticket counters, etc. Its great work and a lot of fun.

I teach fourth graders from around the world how to read, write, and think at an international school in Bangkok. I also supervise the other primary teachers at my school and direct the curriculum and instruction. Since I only work about 9 months out of a year, I get a good bit of traveling and brewing done as well. :cool:

aerospace engineer for turbo-fan jet engine nacelles.
it's not as cool as it sounds...wait, yeah, it is actually just as cool as it sounds :p

Back