What do do for beer in Raleigh, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
So, I'm going to be in Raleigh this weekend. Actually Friday through Sunday.

What local beers should I not miss out on?

Any breweries in Raleigh that I should try to visit or tour?

Thanks for any pointers.

Big Boss is one of my favorites. Trophy Brewing is new and has really stepped up - great beer and really good pizza, but small and hard to get a seat at the peak times. Flying Saucer in downtown has a great beer selection. There are lots of others but Big Boss and Trophy are where I usually go. Boylan Bridge has arguably the best view of downtown from their patio area but the beer/food isn't that great.

I think foothills brewery is pretty good, I think it's un Greensboro though(kinda close). Their Seeing Double IPA and Hoppyum IPA are excellent.

For Raleigh specific though I would go with The Triangle Brewing Co in Durham, they're also very good.

If you can swing by Greensboro go to the Red Oak brewery. GREAT BEER! Also the Mother Earth Brewery is in Kinston. It's about 1.5hrs from Raleigh.

Cheers

If you're coming to Raleigh, I would recommend visiting Raleigh Brewing Company: http://raleighbrewingcompany.com/

They have a nice little taproom and... they connect to a homebrew supply company :)

I second this. I would definitely head to Raleigh Brewing Company Friday night. Start with a Blatherskite then move onto whatever they are tapping at 6 pm. I haven't heard of any tapping at 6 on Friday so ask first. If you decide to go on Saturday, they are tapping an Imperial Lime Basil Wit, which is a homebrew. That is pretty exciting as I've personally never seen a brewery release anything that is a homebrew Check their Facebook page or their website for details. Food wise, they have a food truck and Fridays seems to be a pork food truck.

If you're not lured in by the overall awesomeness of RBC Friday, then head over to Big Boss. It's about 10-15 minutes away and also home to some great beer.

If you're not completely lit by then, head over to the Flying Saucer where you can choose from a ton of beers and their food is good. At least what I've had there.

There is also Bottle Revolution that you may find pretty awesome. It is a craft beer store.

Or you can do this over a couple of days, if you must. :D

Raleigh is in no short supply of great beer and good people.

There is also Bottle Revolution that you may find pretty awesome. It is a craft beer store.

Tasty Beverage is also a great bottle store and is conveniently next to a chocolate factory and near the Pit (you must eat here). You get to go through a good selection of beer and the Mrs (if there is one) can go to the chocolate factory. Then you get to eat great BBQ. Sounds like an ultimate win.

Thanks everyone for the pointers! Looks like I will definitely be able to hit Big Boss and Triangle. I'll try to work some of the others in too.

Foothills is in Winston-Salem; about 2-hrs from Raleigh.

In Raleigh, my suggestions have already been made; RBC, Lone Rider, and Triangle.

The 2 main homebrew shops in raleigh both have brewing/bar extensions.

Brewmasters - downtown raleigh - lots of taps
Raleigh Brewing - west side of town - serves their beer, no food service but often has food trucks

Other breweries

Big Boss - hiding in an industrial park - serves their beer, no food service and often has food trucks
Crankarm - right downtown - serves their beer, no food but right next to The Pit (awesome bbq)
Natty Greenes - right downtown - offshoot of a greensboro brewery - serves food
Triangle brewing - downtown near NC State campus - serves their own beer + Pizza
Boylan Bridge Brewpub - downtown - great patio - open early - so-so beer - If you go on a brewday, the place smells GREAT!

Other notables

Flying Saucer - downtown - huge tap selection - opens early
Tasty Beverage - downtown - beer store with a small tasting room - You can also buy chilled bombers or singles and drink in the tasting room or on the patio out front.
Raleigh Times - downtown - kinda hipster, but good food and interesting beer selection
Busy Bee - downtown - associated with triangle brewing
Tylers Taproom - downtown - great place for beer lovers to catch a football game.

The 2 main homebrew shops in raleigh both have brewing/bar extensions.

Brewmasters - downtown raleigh - lots of taps
Raleigh Brewing - west side of town - serves their beer, no food service but often has food trucks

Are you referring to American Brewmaster or Brewmasters the restaurant/bar near the amphitheater? Last time I was at American Brewmaster (last week) they didn't have taps and frankly, I don't see why you would want to drink there as their space is tiny and located in an office/retail park....

Brewmasters in downtown is a bar/restaurant and doesn't sell homebrew supplies, or least did not when I was last there a couple months ago.

If you find time to visit Chapel Hill there is Carolina Brewing and Top of the Hill. I enjoyed both when I lived there in 2008.

Are you referring to American Brewmaster or Brewmasters the restaurant/bar near the amphitheater? Last time I was at American Brewmaster (last week) they didn't have taps and frankly, I don't see why you would want to drink there as their space is tiny and located in an office/retail park....

Brewmasters in downtown is a bar/restaurant and doesn't sell homebrew supplies, or least did not when I was last there a couple months ago.

They are owned by the same guy. Brewmasters downtown is the bar. American Brewmasters is the homebrew shop. The bar hosts "Homebrew Hump night" every month or so. A couple of friends and are actually scheduled to serve up some homebrew on oct 23 there.

They are owned by the same guy. Brewmasters downtown is the bar. American Brewmasters is the homebrew shop. The bar hosts "Homebrew Hump night" every month or so. A couple of friends and are actually scheduled to serve up some homebrew on oct 23 there.

Very cool. I actually try to hit up Brewmasters (the bar) whenever I'm near the amphitheater as the food and beer choices are good. Not a fan of the homebrew store but that's more a personal opinion.

I went by Big Boss last night. Sampled all their beers and took a growler back to the hotel since we didn't have any brews there.

The tasting room is really cool looking. I really like the decor. Sort of a retro World War II steampunk kinda thing going on.

I can't say any of the beers jumped out to me as something extrodinary, but none of them were bad.

Going to try Triangle today.

Went by Triangle yesterday. We got there a few minutes before they opened and couldn't find any parking... and the cops were there... and a ton of people were milling around in the road outside the gates (waiting to get in I guess). Not sure if that's normal or not, but we decided to skip it and went to Lonerider instead.

I did have Triangle's dukelweizen at a local restaurant and it was very good.

Lonerider was great. They gave us an impromptu tour and I had a pint each of their porter, apa, and brown and they were all excellent beers. Everyone there was really nice. Being an IT guy, I found it interesting that the owners are three ex Cisco guys.

Not in Raleigh but close by you have Bull City Burgers and Brewery great food and beer. South of Raleigh in Fuaqay Varina you Aviator Tap house and smoke house beer was good but food was above average. North in Wake Forest is a great young brewery called White Street Brewery. Plenty to see in the area. I would also suggest checking this tour it is a great way to experience the beer culture of the Triangle!

http://www.beltlinebrewtours.com/

Back