What did you drink before craft brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daphne-weizen

Reaction score
I thought this might be a fun/interesting question. Before I discovered craft beers I started out drinking wine coolers. From there I drank Berringers white zin, thinking that was the height of sophistication! LOL! I expanded my wine preference to very very dry white wines. I love sauncere(sp?) My husband alway liked drinking BMC, well, more M and C and not B and I thought who on earth could possibly ever drink beer??? I thought it was quite possibly the worst beverage ever! It wasn't until I tried a Bavarian hefe at Snake River brewery in Jackson Hole WY. One taste and the heavens parted and the angels sang! I was hooked and the rest is history.:)

I drank a lot of imports back in the day. Guinness, Boddington's, Bavarian Hofbrau, Hacker-Pshorr, etc. That was back when craft beer in the U.S. was unheard of. Then along came Samuel Adams in the '80s, and that started my path toward craft brew. Say what you will about SA, they got a lot of people into better beer.

Guinness, boddingtons, red wine, dirty martinis

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Miller Lite and such (not Bud Light, gives me headaches). Though, I also would drink Boddington's and Guinness when I wanted more flavor. Then some buddies and I started looking for something different and now I can't really stand the "typical American Lager, i.e. BMC. I don't knock on those that like them, those just aren't for me anymore.

Lots of Paulaner. Saved the caps for the last 7 years. The 44 gallon trash bin almost full weighs about 70 pounds. Now just have to figure out what to do with them.

I didn't like beer until my mid-twenties. The first beer I could really dig was Warthog from Big Rock. For a long time I thought Stella Artois was the pinnacle of good beer. Kootenay True Ale was so awesome too. Then it was discontinued. I'd love to drink it now and see how my tastes have changed. In the end I think it was probably Maudite from Unibroue that opened my mind to possibilities of beer.

Beer has been such a wonderful life journey.

Buddies in high school/college drank Bud, and such, $5/case type beers. I did not ever care for them, putting it mildly, so basiclly, I drank ice-tea/soda.

My kung-fu instructor in Santa Cruz, CA was a bit more sophisticated. Thus when turning 22...many years ago... he turned me on to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Our classes were 3hrs, thus the beer got warm.To my surprise, IMHO, the beer got better also. This sparked my interest in craft beers and it's been a great ride ever since.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Benjamin Franklin..well supposedly...it's a great quote anyway

Whats brewing......
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary1: Falcons Flight IPA (Extract recipe from Austin Home Brew)
Secondary2: Burton Red (1st All grain recipe. Using home Built Mash Tun)
Planning 1: Resin Clone (Using 1st time BIAB Method)
Planning 2: Bum's Easy Brew I (My own creation. Pale Ale at 6.2%.)

Milwaukees Best 15 pack for around 4 bucks

I remember snagging beers from the fridge and admiring the artwork. It was Henry Weinhard private reserve. I would struggle to get the top off so I could drink it! I also remember dipping into the Jack Daniels as well. I was quickly turned onto Spaten Optimator by my step fateher and have never looked back. That was, well...... About 35 years ago. I'm 42.... Yes I started to develop a taste for the good stuff early in life...LOL

Cheers
Jay

My feckin "homebrew" made from cans of Blue Ribbon Malt from the grocery store and bread yeast from the same place. I was 14. Hmmm, that's been 60 years ago. My, how time flies.

Id have to say I started with busch light was in high school and it was cheap my how time and money changes everything.

Miller Lite here, too. I'd occasionally get some Sprecher Amber or Sam Adams or Guinness too. But mainly Lite.

black label and mogen david 20/20 (mad dog) in high school, finally settled on coors lite, natty lite as an adult. Ran across Redhook ESB few years ago and thought that was the Alpha and Omega. I really just started drinking craft beer within the last 2 years. The beer that really opened the door for me was Twisted Pine's Reilley's Oak Whiskey Red.

I was a huge liquor drinker before I found craft beer. Red bull and vodka, pineapple juice and vodka, pretty much anything with vodka lol. I hated beer, mainly because I didn't know anything but BMC existed, now I can't remember the last time I had a mixed drink.

Sent from my iPhone

Knyland, do you remember the puzzles under the Lucky Lager bottle caps?
The more you drank, the harder they were to solve

Before craft beer, I, like many college students, drank BMC and Bacardi 151, or whatever liquor what available

Drank a lot of red, white & blue in college, b/c it was cheap & they delivered to the frat house. $21 a half-bbl, I think. Also Bud light, miller lite, Genny cream (the good stuff, lol), pearl, buckhorn (the cans fit in our vending machine). Kind of went through phases. The occasional guinness or bass or heinekin. Discovered craft beer when great lakes opened up (1988 or so). Went to GABF in '92, I think.

BMC, anything I could mix cheap gin into. Shiner Bock or Miller High Life if we were splurging.

And then I saw the light. (I still drink Shiner Bock though, probably mostly from nostalgia).

Old Milwaukee or Labatt, depending on who was buying. Sometimes Olde English or cheap whiskey if people wanted to get smashed.

I was never a big fan of beer until I discovered craft brews. I did drink on occasion but it was all crap beer - mostly malts like King Cobra.

Then one night some friends and I were hanging out in the back of a parking lot late at night. A liquor store sold us (we were minors at the time) some Pete's Wicked Ale. And that was all she wrote. That was my "gateway beer".

Before we were legal my buddies and I would go in on a case of Mickey's or Bull Ice 40's. When I got older it was usually a 30 pack of keystone light or a bottle of vodka, rum, or whiskey before heading out to the bar to swill some coors light.

I drank the supercheapies as a teen/early 20s (Natty, Beast, etc) and malt liquor, and the cheapest distilled swill I could get someone to buy me. Then onto Molson and Heineken and the like. And then onto Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Guinness, Bass, and so on, and then further into craft beer. I also had things for Jack Daniels and Jameson. I still drink Jameson from time to time, but not as much a for the Jack Daniels. And then the occasional Scotch. Which I still drink.

Mostly whiskey and rum, but beer wise i drank Killian's irish red and yuengling. Usually went for the liquor though. St Bernardus abt 12 really got me into liking beer though.

Miller lite was the staple beer, but some of the standard imports would get mixed in here and there.

Probably more whiskey than beer though, which I still like but 90% of my drinking these days is craft and and homebrew beer.

Nothing actually. When I turned 21 I purchased a six pack of DFH 60 and loved it. Drained it in 45 mins and went back for more. They ran out so I grabbed Troeg's Troegenator and Stoudt's scarlet lady. Been a hop head ever since. Dabbled with guinness, harp, bass, etc as a youngin. Bass was alright at the time. Just never got hooked like I did with the good stuff. Within 2 months I was drinking Victory's Golden Monkey and V12. After V12 I wanted to learn how to brew.

I knew from dabbling around in high school that BMC type stuff was not in my wheelhouse. The drinking crew in school were always into corona, heineken and some other bs. I got drunk on corona a few times but never really liked beer at the time.

La Crosse Lager, for the most part. It was local, and, thanks to friends who were employed there, it was free.

I didn't. I thought that I didn't like beer for the longest time as all I had ever had was BMC. One day a buddy convinced me to try a Samuel Adams Boston Lager....it blew my mind! Ever since that day I have been drinking craft beer.

30 years ago I drank Old Milwaukee. Sometimes I stepped up to Molson Export.
25years ago I moved to Seattle and drank Red Hook. I eventually drank Deschutes, Hale's, Maritime, etc. oh and sometimes, Rainier. 😃. That's when I started to HB to have some fun.
15 years ago I moved to VT. Now I drink Long Trail, Battenkill, McNeils, and sometimes Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. But mostly HB.

Budweiser and coors lite mainly and whatever they had at whatever party I was at. I then started trying sam adams and the different ones I could get ahold of. Then I went to a bar one night with my cousin that had alot of craft beer on tap I remember I had anchor liberty ale and flying dog pale ale and never turned back after that.

Budweiser, Busch, Coors (banquet)... Never any light. When I was introduced to imported beer I usually would drink Moosehead, Fosters, Lebatt's, Dos XX's...

Guinness. For about 12 months from the age of 17 (in pubs, naturally), then straight onto the real ale in the first week of college.

Latest posts

Back