What Did We Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckBrewer

Reaction score
We started off with this recipe for a vanilla stout and we had to change things up a bit due to circumstances (ie the local HBS out of certain items) and we ended up with an OG of 1.040 and a FG of 1.012.
I highlighted our changes in bold.

So....what would you classify this bad boy as? :confused:It's actually REALLY good! :tank: :ban:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: White Labs Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 19.0
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 46.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 70
Tasting Notes: Malty with a great vanilla after taste.

6 lb. Dark Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. Dark Dry Malt Extract <-----1 lb of Light Dry Malt Extract
.75 lb. Black Patent Malt <----Changed to .50 lb.
.25 lb. Roasted Barley
<----Added .25 lb of flaked oats
1 oz Cluster (7.00%) at 60 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.00) at 20 minutes
1 tsp Irish moss at 15 minutes
2.5 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract (add to secondary) <--- 2.5 TB added to bottling bucket as well
1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

Steeped grains at 150F for 35 minutes

Boil for 70 minutes

After 14 days move to secondary and rack on top of 2.5 tbsp of vanilla.
(I know I should have soaked beans in bourbon, but thought i would try this, so far so good) <---- Didn't move to a secondary. Fermentation was done in 15 days, then we bottled.

Primed with 3/4 cup of Corn Sugar. <-----Brown Sugar

Ummm.....

It may be a little more on the porter side or a brown ale than a stout as the alcohol content will be a little lower the color a little paler. I don't know this is not extremely frankensteined together. I'm sure you'll still get a pretty decent beer nonetheless.

Vanilla Oatmeal Roasty Brown Ale?

Not a bad name considering that's almost exactly what it tastes like....:D

Ummm.....

It may be a little more on the porter side or a brown ale than a stout as the alcohol content will be a little lower the color a little paler. I don't know this is not extremely frankensteined together. I'm sure you'll still get a pretty decent beer nonetheless.

It's a lighter color than a stout, but it has a big taste, almost like a porter or even the start of a guiness. The beer itself is actually really good. Just don't know what to classify it as...:drunk:

Beer! Haha! Congrats. Sounds really good.:tank:

Good answer! :D :tank:

I'm just wondering if it was because we used Light DME instead of Dark, or because we subbed in some oats that changed the OG and therefore the beer type or if it was something else.

Anyone have the specs for a "typical" porter laying around so I can see if this thing fits that category or if I'm just going to call it a brown Irish ale? I'm trying to get my BeerSmith recipes in some semblance of order.... :D

Back