What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grilled swordfish coated with pesto and New Mexico Hatch chile powder and Mexican-style cauli-rice with pico de gallo on top.
IMG_0981.JPG

Ole, ole! That sounds awesome temptd2.

Made guac in mortar as first run after seasoning with lemon last night and rice tonight. So glad i got a little heavier nicer one. It quickly shredded the dry rice. No scent after the guacamole. Didnt chop anything and just threw it in....oops kids sleeping! Fail. Still really good. I can see other ones being awesome to buy will need some grinding to be ready. The solid thai granite seems a sure bet.

Really used the mortar today. Quickly broiled vidalia, garden tomatoes and poblanos, and jalopeno. Smashed with garlic, lime zest, salt, and lime juice. Its really good but the garlic was older, ugh. Made another batch of guac. Two avocados, lime zest, lime juice, poblano only, garlic, and onion. Feel like pestle tip should be flatter.

Later marinated chicken with garlic, lime zest, lime juice, vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, onion, and pampered chef lime chilli spice. My wife grilled to a perfect 160ish albeit maybe a little low on char. Yet left juicy chicken. Kids were stuffing their faces, should have been no surprise, but was. Finished off with chocolate, and simple cake with icing mixed with strawberry perserves. Layer of strawberry preserve in middle. Worked it a little warm, impatient.
Screenshot_2018-08-25-19-14-41.png
20180825_190629.jpg
20180825_184353.jpg
20180825_175954.jpg
20180825_100032.jpg
20180825_100028.jpg

My latest batch of wings:

On the grill, ready for some smoke:

9f7CpBY.jpg

Twenty-five minutes in, and ready to flip:

kYD7ihP.jpg

Fifty minutes in, and ready for searing:

6AIgQ2f.jpg

Seared and ready for sauce:

YLFhO7D.jpg

Sauced, plated and ready to devour:

wqvA0Bp.jpg

Turned out super tasty.

There were no leftovers.

Love this, looks so great! Also love how you added the smoke element on the weber

My latest batch of wings:

On the grill, ready for some smoke:

9f7CpBY.jpg

Twenty-five minutes in, and ready to flip:

kYD7ihP.jpg

Fifty minutes in, and ready for searing:

6AIgQ2f.jpg

Seared and ready for sauce:

YLFhO7D.jpg

Sauced, plated and ready to devour:

wqvA0Bp.jpg

Turned out super tasty.

There were no leftovers.

Just awesome and I love grilled wings on my Webber! But 50 minutes before searing? Wow, nice fire control!!

I did baby back ribs in the pressure cooker last night. Sauced them and finished off in a 450* oven. I was surprised at how well they turned out. Bklmt2000, Nice job on the smoked/grilled buffalo wings. That is probably my favorite way to do them.

I didn't have enough curry powder (hot madras curry), and didn't have enough garam masala, so I combined the two, poured the mix into a ziploc bag, added shrimp & shook it up, kind of like a dry rub. I let the flavor soak into the shrimp for an hour or so, then stir-fried in dark sesame oil with fresh ginger, garlic & onions, added coconut cream & a little chicken stock to thin, and simmered a bit. It's kinda hard to tell that's really shrimp under all that sauce, but it's there.
The veggies were broccoli, baby carrots, celery, onions, garlic & plenty of dried sweet basil; stir-fried in dark sesame oil. The spice combo worked out well & was tasty.
Regards, GF.

08272018cs.jpg
08272018cs2.jpg
08272018cs3.jpg

I got a new 14” stainless skillet and used it for the first time to boil spaghetti noodles in tonight. Now it has about 10 spots that won’t go away! I used a green scrubby with dish soap first, then brought out my OxyClean and can’t get rid of them. In the sink they looked black but in this light they look light. How do I get rid of them?
IMG_4173.JPG

I got a new 14” stainless skillet and used it for the first time to boil spaghetti noodles in tonight. Now it has about 10 spots that won’t go away! I used a green scrubby with dish soap first, then brought out my OxyClean and can’t get rid of them. In the sink they looked black but in this light they look light. How do I get rid of them? View attachment 585970

Not sure what happened to cause that, but it’s stainless steel so you can do just about anything to clean it that does not scratch it up.

In the future, in my opinion, don’t do pasta in a skillet. Pasta should generally be cooked in a pot with way too much water. Like big y’all pot with tons of water for even small amounts of pasta. If you tried to do that in a skillet you have pasta probably sitting on the bottom of the pan and not moving around, which burns pasta on the bottom of the pan, and you have a small amount of liquid being saturated with starch from the pasta that may also have burned on the pan. Try cleaning it with some vinegar and your scrubby thing. Otherwise just ignore it. If you can’t clean it off it’s probably not going to effect anything you are cooking in it anyway. Just my two bits.

My All-Clad literature says to put salt in once the water is boiling because it causes spots if you don't

If it is food stuck on, simmering water could loosen it. A paste of baking soda and water on the spots might work, it can lift burnt on food from corningware. Hopefully it isn't defective SS.

My All-Clad literature says to put salt in once the water is boiling because it causes spots if you don't
I've never heard that before! I always thought the main purpose of salt was to bring the water back to a boil more quickly and of course for flavor. It's been 30 something years since I purchased my SS cookware, and I don't recall that advice. Thanks, it's good to learn something new.

I got a new 14” stainless skillet and used it for the first time to boil spaghetti noodles in tonight. Now it has about 10 spots that won’t go away! I used a green scrubby with dish soap first, then brought out my OxyClean and can’t get rid of them. In the sink they looked black but in this light they look light. How do I get rid of them? View attachment 585970
Barkeeper's Friend. It will clean anything and it's safe for stainless.

Cook something acidic, or soak it in Starsan for a bit.

bnuts5a.jpg
Tried something new, well, new to me anyway; smoke-roasted butternut squash. Scored each to help hold some of the butter & brown sugar & smoked it on cherry wood. It wasn't perfect, but it was very tasty; as were the rosemary/garlic brats I smoked to go with the squash. Also stir-fried some brussels sprouts & mushrooms in a bit of EVOO, it was a tasty & filling meal.
Regards, GF.

View attachment 586461 View attachment 586462

Making a big pot of kimchi jjigae (stew) today. My kimchi is several months old now. Pork is marinating in...

Mirin (sweet sake)
Tiny bit of dark soy sauce
Gochugaru (Korean pepper flakes)
Minced garlic and white part of green onion
Black pepper
Dark sesame oil

Still need to prepare the dashi stock but im cheating by using the teabags so its quick to make. Nice bags though with dried anchovies, shiitake and seaweed. Good stuff from Japan or Korea.

Making a big pot of kimchi jjigae (stew) today. My kimchi is several months old now. Pork is marinating in...

Mirin (sweet sake)
Tiny bit of dark soy sauce
Gochugaru (Korean pepper flakes)
Minced garlic and white part of green onion
Black pepper
Dark sesame oil

Still need to prepare the dashi stock but im cheating by using the teabags so its quick to make. Nice bags though with dried anchovies, shiitake and seaweed. Good stuff from Japan or Korea.

Dashi tea bags! Awesome. Somehow I’ve never heard of those. It’s always a pain to strain the Benito flakes whenever I make miso ramen.

Yep. Mine are sardine and kelp. They also sell them with bonito. I found one that has sardine, kelp, shiitake and radish too. Some have a little shrimp also.

Tell you what though. Look for Riken dashi powder. I think its excellent. The sodium is super low and no MSG. My market hasnt had it in ages so i got the "tea bags"

Sardine
s-l225.jpg

Bonito
s-l300.jpg

Back