What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Homercidal sorry about your Grandma.

Thank you. I know she's getting the best care she can get at her age and they are making her comfortable. I'll have to fit cooking in with evening visits and helping my mom deal with this.

Chicken piccata is quick, easy and delish if you like capers. When cooking in a pan, I like to halve breasts so they aren't so thick. Chicken Piccata

I think you've mentioned this before. I'll check it out. My wife has a chicken something casserole that she makes once in a while. I originally pulled the breasts out for that, but now I'm anxious to get back to cooking so I might hijack those birds and try something new.

Last edited:
I think you8've mentioned this before. I'll check it out. My wife has a chicken something casserole that she makes once in a while. I originally pulled the breasts out for that, but now I'm anxious to get back to cooking so I might hijack those birds and try something new.

Actually I got that link from @Yooper.

I am done cooking where I am now. After making all that food for the Super Bowl & only two people even ate (me being one of them), I am not trying to cook for anyone else, and I don't get too complicated just for myself. Fried egg sandwiches, mac & cheese, home-made muffin sandwiches, smash-burgers, that sort of thing is what I cook for myself.

Sad, too... I miss my restaurant days...

:(

Salty pickled peas is the best way I can think of describing them.

I like 'em.

Some capers in jars are tasteless, and others have pretty good flavour but none of them come close to the fresh thing that you can get in Greek supermarkets.

Caper-mayo sauce is one of the best things you can have with a sirloin steak.

They are salty, but they taste nothing like peas!

I am done cooking where I am now. After making all that food for the Super Bowl & only two people even ate (me being one of them), I am not trying to cook for anyone else, and I don't get too complicated just for myself. Fried egg sandwiches, mac & cheese, home-made muffin sandwiches, smash-burgers, that sort of thing is what I cook for myself.

I'm the opposite lol I'm more likely to cook really good when I'm just cooking for myself. I keep it simple when cooking for a gathering. I'm not wasting the good stuff on people I don't know will eat it.

I don't miss the heat and the long hours, but I miss access to a large prep area and all the nice equipment. I get in a rut of quick stuff when I HAVE to cook. But when cooking is optional and I have time, I will cook...even if it's just for me. It's actually easier to afford better and more interesting things when I don't have to prepare dinner for three pickier eaters.

Starting an involved and not always successful process for Salt Rising Bread. No longer available in my area and expensive to mail order. But when it works, it is the most amazing bread for toasting. With just butter, or butter and strawberry jam...awesome. Also makes a great toasted pimento cheese sandwich.

And... I forgot about dance class. No time to cook with that and grandma too.

Tomorrow is movie date night to see Deadpool (With the kid and two friends tagging along...) and Saturday is the beer festival. Not sure when I get to cook again!

Some capers in jars are tasteless, and others have pretty good flavour but none of them come close to the fresh thing that you can get in Greek supermarkets.

Caper-mayo sauce is one of the best things you can have with a sirloin steak.

They are salty, but they taste nothing like peas!

I've never had tasteless capers. However, fish and chicken with capers always benefit from a bit of lemon juice. It's a great complimentary flavor.

Meatballs with capers is tasty.
_mg_8251-62710.jpg

I've never had tasteless capers. However, fish and chicken with capers always benefit from a bit of lemon juice. It's a great complimentary flavor.

_mg_8251-62710.jpg

This looks absolutely delicious. I've never actually had capers before. I might have to pick some up soon.

I have a jar of capers that I bought to use in an awesome recipe that I can't remember. I used to buy them all the time and eat something mind blowing but damned if I know what it was. 🤔

Starting an involved and not always successful process for Salt Rising Bread. No longer available in my area and expensive to mail order. But when it works, it is the most amazing bread for toasting. With just butter, or butter and strawberry jam...awesome. Also makes a great toasted pimento cheese sandwich.

Oh man... when I was a kid, my mom had a SRB starter, and it smelled SO bad! It made great bread, but that starter stunk like, well... it stunk. I hope yours isn't like that!

Oh man... when I was a kid, my mom had a SRB starter, and it smelled SO bad! It made great bread, but that starter stunk like, well... it stunk. I hope yours isn't like that!
If it don't stink, it won't taste good! (Pause for jokes)
But seriously folks, when the critters start bubbling, they make a strong, cheesy kind of smell. Actually, I kind of like it, though. It reminds me of parmesan cheese on buttered popcorn. I would make it after school and one if my sister's would get home right about the time I would have it ready. She said it smelled like vomit, but it sure tastes good. Here's a photo of the sponge, ready to use....

IMG_20160225_183531130.jpg

Been in cooking rut lately, too...

Lots of simple dishes and leftovers.

But, tonight I'm doing some grilled mahi mahi and striper with asparagus and parmesan crisps.
Tomorrow will be elk spaghetti and salad
Saturday will be cheddar & BBQ chicken & bacon sandwiches with some sort of side
Sunday will be sea scallop curry & rice.

Wow! Going to be an awesome weekend at your place! :mug:

Strawberry salad -> spinach, strawberries, toasted pecan nuts & goat cheese. Dressing - EV olive oil, raspberry vinegar & poppy seeds.

Goes down really well with a nice "minerally" Chablis.

Gorgeous salad! My favorite salads lately all share spinach, goat cheese, some kind of fruit, and some kind of nuts! I'm a big fan of the dried cherries I've been putting in salads lately.

Of course, with a decent bottle of wine, I would be happy just with the fruit and cheese :)

I've never had tasteless capers.

Consider yourself lucky ;-) There is one brand on sale here in Finland called "Veg-on-Table" where the capers have zero taste and they come in rather large jars, too. The brand I normally buy, Fragata, is pretty good.

I have a jar of capers that I bought to use in an awesome recipe that I can't remember. I used to buy them all the time and eat something mind blowing but damned if I know what it was. 🤔

Well, they are a pretty key ingredient to Greek Salad and a whole host of Italian recipes. We go through 1-2 jars a week here at my house.

I like to use them in tuna salad, along with chopped red onions, mayo and mustard. Also sometimes just eat them right out of the jar.

They are young, very small capers...and they are the best. Especially with a grilled trout, with butter, lemon and mushrooms. Yum!

_mg_8251-62710.jpg

Food looks great. Capers are fantastic. Never combined them with meatballs. Mind blown.

What's the beer. Crystal clear looking and delicious no doubt.

I like to take a couple tablespoons of capers and fry them in some olive oil til they get crispy. Drain on paper towels. Use the olive oil for something else, like salad dressing, if you want to.

We sprinkle those crispy capers on our smoked salmon pizza. They're killer good.

Crispy capers sounds great! I'll try that soon.

I forgot to get capers when I went shopping today... Oops. Oh well, I'll be having filet mignon with asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes tonight. Maybe if I have the money I'll run by the store and see if I can find some capers for another meal.

Back