What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where's the ham bone, gotta have a ham bone!
Not offended by some carrot, never added potatoes, I need a ham bone!:rockin:

Why? So you can throw it away?

If I can find a decent sized smoked ankle then I might use it, but in the end you have to pull out huge chunks of fat and lots of small bones from your soup before you can eat it.

Pork outer filet, what I normally use, is boneless and contains almost zero fat..

Do swedish people normally put potatoes and carrots in their pea soup? Sounds like a crime to me. When I make pea soup, it is 50% lean pork meat, 45% peas, 5% onion, a handful of black peppercorns and salt. Nothing else.

Potatoes and carrots wouldn't surprise me, though - those swedes...

Nonononono
Swedes DON'T put carrots and potatoes in. Sorry if I confused, but lots of Americans do, I was just pointing that out. Nice enough but it isn't the stuff I grew up with. (Mother's family was a bunch of Hansons and Johnsons from the area near Jönköping.)

In my case it is split peas, a nice meaty ham shank (smoked) with onion and a celery stalk. Salt and pepper. That's it. HWMO (who has actually been to Sweden and eaten pea soup during Christmas time) says it tastes authentic. On the bucket list to go there.

Why? So you can throw it away?

If I can find a decent sized smoked ankle then I might use it, but in the end you have to pull out huge chunks of fat and lots of small bones from your soup before you can eat it.

Pork outer filet, what I normally use, is boneless and contains almost zero fat..

Left overs, free for the most part;)

Do swedish people normally put potatoes and carrots in their pea soup? Sounds like a crime to me. When I make pea soup, it is 50% lean pork meat, 45% peas, 5% onion, a handful of black peppercorns and salt. Nothing else.

Potatoes and carrots wouldn't surprise me, though - those swedes...
Just so long as they don't put any swedes into it I have no objections to scarfing it down.

image_riviera_swede.jpg

Sorry.

Nonononono
Swedes DON'T put carrots and potatoes in. Sorry if I confused, but lots of Americans do, I was just pointing that out. Nice enough but it isn't the stuff I grew up with. (Mother's family was a bunch of Hansons and Johnsons from the area near Jönköping.)

In my case it is split peas, a nice meaty ham shank (smoked) with onion and a celery stalk. Salt and pepper. That's it. HWMO (who has actually been to Sweden and eaten pea soup during Christmas time) says it tastes authentic. On the bucket list to go there.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Potatoes in a freaking pea soup? Next thing you know, they'll be putting potatoes inside of chili.

I would probably not protest against the celery, but since SWMBO is allergic to it then I haven't eaten it in a very long time and I don't actually miss it at all - it's sort of like an inert ingredient IMO.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Potatoes in a freaking pea soup? Next thing you know, they'll be putting potatoes inside of chili.

I would probably not protest against the celery, but since SWMBO is allergic to it then I haven't eaten it in a very long time and I don't actually miss it at all - it's sort of like an inert ingredient IMO.

Allergic to celery? It may be inert in small amounts but is shown to be a flavor enhancer - I remember seeing an article about a study which showed that, in blind taste tests where soups made with the same ingredients except one batch with celery, the celery batches were usually considered tastier.

There's also Lovage, which is the same order but a different genus, which is a wonderful (even more flavorful) herb. (Edit from wiki: the Finnish name is liperi or lipstikka) But they might be too closely related.

Isn't it the middle of the wee hours in Finland??

Allergic to celery?

Isn't it the middle of the wee hours in Finland??

Yep, she's allergic to it. It triggers her asthma.

As far as herbs go, we stick to provencial and indian.

It's currently 7:16 AM, but hey - I regularly wake up at 4 or 5 AM and spend a few hours of quiet time on my laptop plus have a beer or two. Then go back to sleep for 3-4 hours. That's my rhythym :)

Putting potatos in a pea soup is also very common in Germany. The classic hearty pea soup here has potatoes as well as onions, parsley, and something like carrots or cellery root. Then bay leaf, smoked bacon type thing (German style), and Wiener sausages for serving. Nothing pureed or anything, just hearty stuff.

And on the potatoe in chili note....roasted sweet potato chili is delicious.

Here's what I made for dinner yesterday. I was feeling too poorly to make it in the morning. SWMBO loved it, saying it was excellent...

I made two one pound bacon bombs with Bob Evan's original style breakfast sausage chubs wrapped in bacon weave. Scrambled eggs, just barely done to preserve flavor quality. The potatoes I made with that buttery parsley'd gravy on'em. & of course, some hot, home made biscuits. I saved the drippin's from this to add to some chunky bacon gravy I'll make today with more biscuits. Good meals for a day of cold & snow.

I love pit barbecuing leg of lamb with ham for Easter dinner! A Memphis dry rub works pretty well here.:mug:

First time I've tackled a full leg on there. Usually I limit grilling to burgers, steaks, kebabs and stuff but this year I've promised myself I'm going to push the comfort zone and try some larger meals. What's in a Memphis rub then?

The wings look good I'm not feeling the beer batter. I don't have a deep fryer for a reason cuz I'll get stupid and beer batter is one of those reasons

DLTs. That is duck confit, lettuce, tomato sandwiches with spicy lemon mayo and avocado. Also I found horseradish roots at the farmers market today and made up two jars. First time doing horseradish and let me warn you that it is potent stuff! Nearly had to flee the room when I was chopping it in the food processor!

I wear my diving mask when I grind fresh horseradish roots.

Highly recommend it.

Saturday I brewed an IIPA (1.087/100+ Ibu) and smoked some pork/chicken wings. I blacked out around the time the wings went on. Managed to snag 1 drunk pic.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452521978.819277.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452521995.673969.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452522027.145617.jpg

Yesterday I did potato and ham soup. I used my premade pheasant stock cubes that I made a while back. Also used the bone from the ham steak for a short boil to add a little more flavor to the broth.

Thickened with a roux and half/half. Simmered all day and It was delicious.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452522291.118210.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452522307.388196.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452522316.085205.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452522362.803779.jpg

rutabaga is lanttu in finnish, and i bet you have had it as it is a very common ingredient here in many soups and such.

Yeah, I had to look up the translation for lanttu so that I found the word rutabaga...

I've never bought one and since I don't, as a principle, eat roots then unless somebody put some into my lohikeitto then I haven't eaten it either.

Only roots I eat are piparjuuri (horseradish?) and inkivääri (ginger). My kids won't usually eat roots, either. Very rarely, they will eat some mashed potatoes, like once in 2-3 months or something. They refuse to eat the school lunches as well because they claim the food is so horrible - good thing Finnish kids get out of school so early - they come home from school and wipe out the refrigerator every day.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452529110.495140.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 82

Latest posts

Back