What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no leftovers for me since I went non- traditional for Thanksgiving.

Roast beef, Potato leek soup with crispy pancetta. Yellow beans with ****ake mushrooms, onions and red peppers.

mmmmm

What cut of beef is that?

I made two boxes of the cheddar bay biscuits to go with Turkey day leftovers yesterday. so that meant two pouches of the garlic/herb mix in 2/3C of real, melted butter. Was it just me, or does the resulting garlic/herb butter you brush on top of'em taste like garlic butter a couple people dipped their lobster in? Dang, that was good! After brushing 19 cheddar biscuits twice, I had plenty left & drizzled my turkey breast & thigh medallions with it. YUMMY! I gotta find out what sort of " powdered seafood" flavoring was in those foil pouches with the herbs & stuff? I'd swear it tastes like it? & I found it easier to use an ice cream scoop to dole out the dough onto the greased airbake cookie sheet. You're supposed to use about 1/4C each, so the scoop worked out perfectly. they rose up looking just like the ones at the restaurant! :rockin:

My daughter and i made these cookies nothing special but i won't ever get tired of making them with the kids. Alton brown recipe white sugar and more flour then the normal betty crocker which has less flour and powdered sugar. They are way less crumbly held up well browned nicely and frosted better. Then used 16 gallon (my old 2.5 g brewster) for first time to make mac and cheese and hige double batch beef stew. The mac and cheese is killer salt in the pasta water you know. A good recipe calls for Velveeta sharp cheddar mustard powder onion and we used some half in half in roux. Dug hard for beef stew recipe and found it on Once Upon a chef.

View attachment 1448754184937.jpg

View attachment 1448754194293.jpg

View attachment 1448754206963.jpg

View attachment 1448754219284.jpg

View attachment 1448754231013.jpg

^^ Reminds me of when I took my family to a fancy restaurant, place called Berns in Tampa here. The waiter talked my youngest boy into getting their famous mac n cheese. When dinner came, he watched us all eating our aged steaks with great envy. I think that's the last time I ever saw him order mac n cheese. It was an inflection point in his gastronomic timeline.

Berns is incredible from what I hear. My folks tell me they give tours as well. Would love to see that place.

Smile! (I could have gone a different direction...you're welcome!) Cooked on Thanksgiving for stock for the gravy, along with bird juice...nobody wants the giblets in the gravy, so I get to eat them! Also made a nice pâté mousse-like spread out of the liver...and nobody would touch it. Too bad father in-law is suffering from Alzheimer's. I used to be able to count on him to eat the stuff everyone else scoffs at.

IMG_20151128_191155046.jpg

I got voted down on the knoephla hot dish for turkey pizza. Made a double batch of biscuit dough with 3C shredded cheddar in it. I then rolled jalapeno string cheese sticks cut in half lengthwise in the crust. Pizza sauce, the turkey light & dark meat chunks, red & green sweet peppers & mushrooms. Topped off with more shredded cheddar;

The pastrami saga is over. After being smoked to 200 deg the other night, it's been wrapped in the fridge. Yesterday morning, I let it set out a bit, then steamed it back to 200 deg. Put it in a hot over for just a bit after that to crisp it up a little. The sliced it up after three of our kids and their spouses showed up. I served turkey, ham, and pastrami for sandwiches (and or Rubens).

Well the pastrami lasted about 3 minutes, but I can enjoy lots of left over turkey and ham! I am really pumped about the way it turned out. It was worth the effort. Next time I will be doing 8 -12 lbs instead of 4!

(P.S. Ignore the blob of fat on the cutting board from where I scraped the remaining fat cap off!) (P.P.S. I made the refrigerator pickles too, and they were better than the Vlasics!)

Pastrami.jpg

pastrami Sanwiches 90cw.jpg

The pastrami saga is over. After being smoked to 200 deg the other night, it's been wrapped in the fridge. Yesterday morning, I let it set out a bit, then steamed it back to 200 deg. Put it in a hot over for just a bit after that to crisp it up a little. The sliced it up after three of our kids and their spouses showed up. I served turkey, ham, and pastrami for sandwiches (and or Rubens).

Well the pastrami lasted about 3 minutes, but I can enjoy lots of left over turkey and ham! I am really pumped about the way it turned out. It was worth the effort. Next time I will be doing 8 -12 lbs instead of 4!

(P.S. Ignore the blob of fat on the cutting board from where I scraped the remaining fat cap off!) (P.P.S. I made the refrigerator pickles too, and they were better than the Vlasics!)

Slobber inducing posts like this and the other mouthwatering smoke related dishes I have seen here, led me to ask Santa Claus for a smoker.

Unfortunately Santa feels I have enough on the patio and has put my letter in the bold pile. :mad:

Some hang-dog looks and doe-eyedness on my part will be required over the next few weeks in an effort to sway his Nordic steely resolve.

I shouldn't tell you then I just put about 3 half racks of pork spare ribs on the smoker. It's only 21 today but the smoker did admirably cooking the pork tenderloin pork butt the other day in 10 degree weather. My mom gave me the ribs defrosted so I had to cook them

I shouldn't tell you then I just put about 3 half racks of pork spare ribs on the smoker. It's only 21 today but the smoker did admirably cooking the pork tenderloin pork butt the other day in 10 degree weather. My mom gave me the ribs defrosted so I had to cook them

Don't worry, I'd still be grilling in our near freezing weather if we weren't in the middle of the season-changing windstorms. Branches flying around everywhere...

Looks great! I'm going to do a pastrami with eye of round soon. Yours has great color!

Did you soak it after curing to reduce the salt?

I have rats !!!

I made a cake, put it in the fridge to set, went outside to do "stuff"
when I came back in, I think the couch burped at me. then I opened the fridge
this is what i found

2 egg layer banana pudding cake

2 cups flour [if self rising,omit next to ingredients]
2 teasp baking powde1/2 teasp salt
1/2 cup veg shortening
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teasp vanilla
1 cup milk
375, 25 minutes, 2- 8'' greased floured pans

if you use butter or lard instead of veg shortening
cut back sugar to 1 cup and milk to 3/4

take out of oven, cool
mix 1 package instant banana pudding
let set about 1/2 way,,,poke holes in the first layer with a fork
pour pudding over it
set the other cake on top
mix another pudding poke and pour
put in fridge and GUARD IT!!!!!

cake 001.JPG

yeah yeah,,I know, INSTANT PUDDING!!!!!!
if you wish, make sum ho made pudd'n

I have rats !!!

I made a cake, put it in the fridge to set, went outside to do "stuff"
when I came back in, I think the couch burped at me. then I opened the fridge
this is what i found

2 egg layer banana pudding cake

2 cups flour [if self rising,omit next to ingredients]
2 teasp baking powde1/2 teasp salt
1/2 cup veg shortening
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teasp vanilla
1 cup milk
375, 25 minutes, 2- 8'' greased floured pans

if you use butter or lard instead of veg shortening
cut back sugar to 1 cup and milk to 3/4

take out of oven, cool
mix 1 package instant banana pudding
let set about 1/2 way,,,poke holes in the first layer with a fork
pour pudding over it
set the other cake on top
mix another pudding poke and pour
put in fridge and GUARD IT!!!!!

View attachment 319616

yeah yeah,,I know, INSTANT PUDDING!!!!!!
if you wish, make sum ho made pudd'n

Looks delicious. Reminds me of a birthday cake one of my kindergarten students brought in a week or two ago. The entire "cake" was made up of pudding and sliced bananas, "frosted" with whipped cream. It was delicious.

Looks great! I'm going to do a pastrami with eye of round soon. Yours has great color!

Did you soak it after curing to reduce the salt?

Yes. Cured for 7 days (distilled water), thoroughly rinsed, the a soak in fresh water (tap) for 24 hours or so. Was not too salty at all.

Cooked down the turkey carcass in water yesterday evening to make soup or stew today. I also have the roasting juices in the fridge under a nice fat cap. The juices always turn to meat jello under there.

Slobber inducing posts like this and the other mouthwatering smoke related dishes I have seen here, led me to ask Santa Claus for a smoker.

Unfortunately Santa feels I have enough on the patio and has put my letter in the bold pile. :mad:

Some hang-dog looks and doe-eyedness on my part will be required over the next few weeks in an effort to sway his Nordic steely resolve.

BTW, my smoker died a while back (like years ago). I have been smoking everything on my weber. It's a bit more work than my electric smoker was without a doubt, but I have had great results with ribs, briskets, and now pastrami (more brisket, but what ever).

I bent a scrap of aluminum sheet that is the length I needed to form a makeshift fire chamber on one side of my grill and use a couple of rocks to hold it in place.

Weber Smoker Setup ii.jpg

Those Weber kettles have great heat convection though! I wanna get the one on the cart with the lil table like the bbq pit boys have to go with my rectangular pit. The fire tray on that one's warped,a s usual. got flatten it out. The big, long pits hold more stuff, but don't hold heat as well as the kettle-shaped ones do.:mug:

I really took it easy on cooking this weekend, 2 big family dinners will do that.

Yesterday my pregnant wife said she didn't care what I made for dinner, she just wanted French fries and broccoli with cheese sauce.

So, I decided to thaw out a chicken that was given to me by one of the farmers whose land I hunt.

Contrary to what some say, I still think roasted Coke butt chicken makes some of the juiciest poultry I've ever had.

First I pulled out the giblets (no helpful little baggies here), hit it with oil and my dry rub mix (Cajun, garlic, lemon pepper, sea salt and mesquite seasoning), shoved a half can of coke in the cavity and roasted at 350 for 1.5 hrs.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448893414.473481.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448893423.096014.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448893447.574952.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448893461.665242.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448893471.787570.jpg

Look at that plating! Lol.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448893792.486054.jpg

This farm-raised chicken was one of the best I've ever had. Don't know if there is some bias working its way in there, but it was just great. Easiest way to roast a chicken.

Look at that plating! Lol.

View attachment 319696

Haven't done a beer can roasted chicken since I got my rotisserie. This post has me hankering for one again. Instead of wasting a perfectly good can of Coke, you probably could do it with some of that Bourbon County Stout you've got lying around. ;)

Great looking chicken and plating.

Haven't done a beer can roasted chicken since I got my rotisserie. This post has me hankering for one again. Instead of wasting a perfectly good can of Coke, you probably could do it with some of that Bourbon County Stout you've got lying around. ;)

Great looking chicken and plating.

I used one BCBS for marinating steaks, going to make malt vinegar out of another one.

:D

Wife roasted a turkey for T-day. I carved most of the easy meat of of it for the table and set aside the carcass for later.

MIL "helped out" and got a little bit more meat off the carcass before throwing it in the trash. :(

So much for using homemade turkey stock for the turkey and wild rice soup I planned for the next day's party!

That said, it was still turkey and wild rice soup for Friday and I also made some Zuppa Toscana by request. No flour in either since my sister is gluten free.

Also, I boiled that beef tongue for about 2 hours last Tuesday. Wed I left work early and found the smoker shorted out, so I wrapped it in bacon and baked it for a bit.

I wasn't feeling well that day, so I set it aside in the fridge until yesterday (had too much to eat from T-day as it was!) and it was pretty tasty cold!

I heated some slices up in the microwave and ate on a sandwich with some brown mustard and an IPA. It was better cold.

I was going to try to get the family to taste it without knowing what it was, but 1) they are not the type to try anything without knowing what it is, and 2) you can't see or chew on tongue and believe it was just any other kind of meat. So I fessed up. I don't think either of them are going to enjoy it.

Last edited:
I got a few cuts of venison from my brother this weekend. I'd like to find a good way to use my uncarbonated ipa to cook with it. Might try some sort of stew.

I got a few cuts of venison from my brother this weekend. I'd like to find a good way to use my uncarbonated ipa to cook with it. Might try some sort of stew.

smoke the meat till trender and red smoke ring,
then, use in your stew .,,,the taste is amazing

WOOOOOOOO What ju talk'n BOUT!!!!!

and it's even better the next day after it sits and ferments in its own goodness

Wife roasted a turkey for T-day. I carved most of the easy meat of of it for the table and set aside the carcass for later.

MIL "helped out" and got a little bit more meat off the carcass before throwing it in the trash. :(

So much for using homemade turkey stock for the turkey and wild rice soup I planned for the next day's party!

That said, it was still turkey and wild rice soup for Friday and I also made some Zuppa Toscana by request. No flour in either since my sister is gluten free.

I would banish you MIL from your house!

Making Turkey Pho with my carcass as I type:D

I would banish you MIL from your house!

Making Turkey Pho with my carcass as I type:D

I just started the carcass boiling to make turkey noodle soup for tonight.

Sunday dinner was lasagna with noodles from scratch & ricotta from scratch, with freshly baked bread. I always wonder if making ricotta is worth it, and then you taste it and it is so much better than store bought.

I just started the carcass boiling to make turkey noodle soup for tonight.

Sunday dinner was lasagna with noodles from scratch & ricotta from scratch, with freshly baked bread. I always wonder if making ricotta is worth it, and then you taste it and it is so much better than store bought.

I NEED to go down the cheese rabbit hole, I bought a book, too many hobbies, so little time:mug:

Boiled down the turkey carcass yesterday, cooled & stashed in the fridge. Strained & deboned it this morning. got it on the stove now with potatoes, carrots, onion petals & celery. also saved the original roasting juices with a 1/2" fat cap on it that I defatted & added to the pot. all that pot likker gets turned into meat jello by today. Simmering on the stove now for stew over macaroni or something.

Well, I am sick. Bloody cold centered around my tonsils. Just about the only thing I ever catch. So, of course I need some comfort food, starting with spaghetti. Went into the past and did something very similar to the way my mum makes the sauce, which is simple.
Canned roughly chopped tomatos, properly colored ground beef (I use veggy), shallots, garlic, touch of Worcestershire and chili sauce, apple cider vinegar, concentrated tomato puree, salt and pepper, basil, and of huge importance is a lot of thyme.

For me the keys here are thyme for that family flavor and the vinegar to make the tomatos come back to life.

Lovely stuff to have right now.

DSC07418e.jpg

Back