What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well dang, what an evening! I made roasted chicken leg quarters with some bulk Ortega taco seasoning we'd bought recently. I then got out the large chop pan & sauteed some red onion, celery & crimini mushrooms in some canola oil blend & tub margarine. Then added a one pound bag of brown rice & 4C water to simmer. I seasoned it with a little cumin, sea salt, black pepper & dried parsley. Went to take a pic of the plated food, darn camera batteries in the Powershot went out. And after I'd just installed fresh ones at the reunion Saturday evening! Then, to ad insult to injury, the power went out as we started eating. So no pics of my efforts. But it did go well with a glass of kottbusser...

just finished a batch of ABT's

abt.jpg

My Dad gave me a hunk of leftover prime rib. I'm not a fan of reheating beef "as is" so I sliced it all up nice and made a homebrewed Porter infused beef stroganoff, with plenty of onions and mushrooms and garlic sauteed in bacon fat. Fusilli pasta to soak up all the good sauce. Garden-grown sliced green onions on top.

Man what an array of incredible food pictures since I got on yesterday afternoon! Every one is just awesome.

My tomatilla salsa was the base for chicken enchiladas. I made taco meat too, and served it all with Mexican beans and rice. I managed to get a picture before I put the enchiladas in the oven and a picture of the first plate served. Oh, and guacamole too!

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

It takes a while, but this might by one of my favorite summertime meals

(From left to right)

Steak marinaded in beer, brown sugar lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, and chipolata powder
Veggie tacos (black beans, tomatoes, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, and corn, bell pepper, jalapenos, pineapple, and cabbage all done on the grill
Cilantro
Green Sauce (brown sugar, white vinegar, cilantro, roasted garlic, grilled jalapeno
House Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)
Shredded Monterey Jack
And tortillas in the middle...store bought :eek:

0725151855.jpg

For dinner, chicken gyros. Unfortunately, the chicken came off the grill, got sliced, and it all et before I could take pictures of the plated gyro. I guess use your imagination.

Tzatsiki, kalamata olives, red onions, fresh cilantro, lettuce, tomatoes, and feta cheese on homemade pitas and wrapped in foil. I made way too many pitas, so today we are toasting them to make pita chips.

Yogurt in the overnight marinade for the chicken, and also in the tzatziki sauce.

_mg_0820-65910.jpg

_mg_0827-65911.jpg

_mg_0813-65909.jpg

_mg_0835-65917.jpg

_mg_0833-65918.jpg

For dinner, chicken gyros. Unfortunately, the chicken came off the grill, got sliced, and it all et before I could take pictures of the plated gyro. I guess use your imagination.

Tzatsiki, kalamata olives, red onions, fresh cilantro, lettuce, tomatoes, and feta cheese on homemade pitas and wrapped in foil. I made way too many pitas, so today we are toasting them to make pita chips.

Yogurt in the overnight marinade for the chicken, and also in the tzatziki sauce.

_mg_0820-65910.jpg

_mg_0827-65911.jpg

_mg_0813-65909.jpg

_mg_0835-65917.jpg

_mg_0833-65918.jpg

All look delicious! Pita recipe?
I guess a cheese basket is not a uni-tasker and very cool tongs:D

Chef, recipe below. This is exactly what mine looked like, although the plate also had greek salad on it :rockin:
chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki3-alt-color+srgb..jpg

I wouldn't cut the dough into equal pieces like the recipe says. It's easier to roll into a sheet, cookie-cutter with a pan or other object, and re-press the scraps. Press as thin as you can, it will puff up quickly in the pan. Also, I had to add a lot more flour than recipe says. I know you're a bread guy and know this already, but for anyone else making these, don't take the dough out of the mixer if it's still sticky. It shouldn't be clinging to the bowl. I punched mine down twice BTW.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/09/gyros-chicken-souvlaki-tzatkiki-homemade-greek-flatbread/
pitas.jpg

That's awesome! I've been looking for a pita recipe!

I would also like a good Tzatsiki recipe. I've only made it once and the recipe I had was not good. I love gyros!

Tzatsiki depends on taste, but should have as few ingredients as possible, but needs to have time to infuse it's flavours.

Cucumber, scrape the seeds and rasp the rest, drain very well in a clean kitchen towel with some salt added.
Good greek yogurt, high fat, no light junk.
double as much garlic as most recipies say.
Pepper and salt to taste after it has rested in the fridge for an hour minimum.

That's awesome! I've been looking for a pita recipe!

I would also like a good Tzatsiki recipe. I've only made it once and the recipe I had was not good. I love gyros!

I've made it the traditional way with emulsified and compressed lamb/beef. See here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6258880&postcount=2080

Now I see there is a Tzatsiki recipe on the site with the pita recipe. Is that what you used?

Yep. I thought it was great. Pretty simple.

Tzatsiki depends on taste, but should have as few ingredients as possible, but needs to have time to infuse it's flavours.

Cucumber, scrape the seeds and rasp the rest, drain very well in a clean kitchen towel with some salt added.
Good greek yogurt, high fat, no light junk.
double as much garlic as most recipies say.
Pepper and salt to taste after it has rested in the fridge for an hour minimum.

That's pretty much what I did. I think it had some dill in there too.

SWMBO's birthday is Friday...and we got a bargain on a bunch of blueberries recently. I mentioned blueberry pound cake and got an "mmm" response. So it's in the oven. It's actually a lemon-blueberry pound cake, with zest and juice from a big lemon in it...no artificial stuff. Using an old two piece angel food cake pan that my mother passed along to me...nostalgia strikes again!

IMG_20150729_193124227[1].jpg

SWMBO's birthday is Friday...and we got a bargain on a bunch of blueberries recently. I mentioned blueberry pound cake and got an "mmm" response. So it's in the oven. It's actually a lemon-blueberry pound cake, with zest and juice from a big lemon in it...no artificial stuff. Using an old two piece angel food cake pan that my mother passed along to me...nostalgia strikes again!

Don't forget a pic when it comes out!

Back