What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been just swamped lately and have not been able to play. Tonight I'm cooking just for me, so I'm experimenting with some spicy grilled chicken thighs. Marinade is chipotle peppers, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, olive oil, and black pepper, along with some lime juice.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433719110.106519.jpg
Gonna let these soak in half the mix for a bit, then grill them slow basting with the other half. Have a tater baking to go with!

image.jpg1_zpsjmi7ipgd.jpg

Peel and eat shrimp with chorizo broth, smoked paprika, and lemon. :mug:

Can you put that lake in your photo? Lol. Just great food and an awesome picture!

Uh, do you know how many lakes there are where I live? ;-)

In less than 2 weeks, most of the people in this country will be starting huge bonfires right on the edges of lakes.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery and I got to have me some of that shrimp!

Okay, you can put a lake in the background, granted. But I'm after that shrimp too! Wife has gone home to visit family in Gulfport Mississippi. She will be bringing home shrimp!! I've been out for too long!

Had a nice zucchini in the garden, let it get big enough to stuff - made a Greek-influenced ground lamb mixture, stuffed that puppy, put it in the roaster oven outside because it was too hot to turn the oven on in the house - ate it with some cucumber raita and some soft whole wheat pitas.

I DID take a picture, when I put it in the roaster, but dang if I didn't forget to get another one when it came out. Well, it was delicious, anyway!

Had a nice zucchini in the garden, let it get big enough to stuff - made a Greek-influenced ground lamb mixture, stuffed that puppy, put it in the roaster oven outside because it was too hot to turn the oven on in the house - ate it with some cucumber raita and some soft whole wheat pitas.

I DID take a picture, when I put it in the roaster, but dang if I didn't forget to get another one when it came out. Well, it was delicious, anyway!

Do you eat the zucchini flowers? I stuff them with mozarella and fry them in olive oil. Absolutely wonderful! Tried it the first time in Italy at a restaurant on a cliff overlooking the sea with a bottle of white wine.

Boiled and roasted jackfruit seeds...interesting. Like little dry, firm potatoes. Nice little snack...skins a bit of a pain to remove. Canned the last 2lbs of fruit in syrup and processed in the pressure canner. I'll have to save some for the next time my sister-inlaw visits. She was born in the Phillipines and is the only person I know that can tell me if these taste right.

IMG_20150609_213253190.jpg

IMG_20150609_221352187.jpg

Been too busy to cook, but my wife made baked spaghetti last night. I think it's just regular spaghetti, but then put in the oven to bake with some cheese on top.

I was really craving it and didn't want the carbs, but I couldn't come up with anything better for an idea, so that's what we had.

Homercidal, we do it with either spaghetti squash or "zoodles" - zucchini cut into faux noodles. I use a Spirooli slicer to do that, but you can just use a veggie peeler and cut long thin strips the length of the squash. Saute in just a tad of butter and/or olive oil, then sauce it up!

Last night we had Greek chicken salads again, with lettuce, cucumber, and onions from the garden, then heirloom cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, lots of Feta cheese, marinated artichoke hearts, and chunks of avocado, with grilled chicken thigh strips and homemade Greek vinaigrette. And some fluffy (store-bought) pita breads. And a homebrewed Centennial Blonde ale!

Been a long time since I've posted, but I'm back! Catching up on reading all the wonderful things I've missed out on!

nFIbubJXKPckqmtvZMT3Q7ZDAd3-mf9dgqNiIxDEW5fs=w6020-h4000-no

Sourdough with basil pesto, thinly sliced fresh mozzarella, tomato, and lightly basted with olive oil on each side and cooked in the cast iron at a low heat with a lid over it. So good I could forgo the bread if I had to! Cheers!

Sourdough with basil pesto, thinly sliced fresh mozzarella, tomato, and lightly basted with olive oil on each side and cooked in the cast iron at a low heat with a lid over it. So good I could forgo the bread if I had to! Cheers!

So, basically, grilled cheese sandwiches.

Canned the last 2lbs of fruit in syrup and processed in the pressure canner.

Is there a difference between a pressure canner and a pressure cooker, or is it that if you write the latter then you're in danger of getting a visit from the men in black?

I've been wanting to buy one, but only very tiny ones are sold in europe and can't get a proper sized one shipped from the US because of the men in black.

Is there a difference between a pressure canner and a pressure cooker, or is it that if you write the latter then you're in danger of getting a visit from the men in black?

I've been wanting to buy one, but only very tiny ones are sold in europe and can't get a proper sized one shipped from the US because of the men in black.

This explains the difference better than I am able:

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/consumer/fact_sheets/pressurecannerandcooker.pdf

I have a 23 qt Presto brand, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYCFU/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=43458472502&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10573442573613713870&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8tfphtetr8_b

I'm getting bored of not cooking. Need to think of something interesting to cook this weekend.

Well, shoot. The kid has dance recital all nights so that pretty much blows up the need for cooking dinner ourselves. Probably have leftover baked sketty and pizza.

Every time I'm looking for something interesting, I look at Indian food. A pain in the ass to track down ingredients but the end result is usually well worth the effort.

Every time I'm looking for something interesting, I look at Indian food. A pain in the ass to track down ingredients but the end result is usually well worth the effort.

Yeah, I suffer from not having a good international food store in town. At best I can get some stuff at the Meijers store about 20 minutes away. But I'm often disappointed to find they don't have what I need.

Looking to get some tahini so I can make hummus. I hear tell it's required for good hummus.

Yeah, I suffer from not having a good international food store in town. At best I can get some stuff at the Meijers store about 20 minutes away. But I'm often disappointed to find they don't have what I need.

Looking to get some tahini so I can make hummus. I hear tell it's required for good hummus.

SWMBO is allergic to anything sesame, so she never eats hummus without checking the label...even some non-traditional hummus's include either tahini or sesame oil. I have made some good hummus without tahini, though. Garbanzo beans pureed and flavored with a little salt and cumin, and just a little peanut butter. Some vegetable or canola oil, to thin it to a good, smooth texture. (Using a food processor.)

Can ordering in bulk on the interwebz be an option? you'd have to think ahead but still...

Or... you could come to the darkside Luke :p

Bacon 'n Bourbon Anadama Bread.

I started with a basic anadama bread recipe (flour, cornmeal, salt, yeast, molasses, water and butter), and substituted bacon grease for the butter. Then I fried a couple of bacon slices until they were good and crispy, crumbled them into the dough, and added a 1 1/2 oz shot of bourbon.

The picture isn't all that inspiring, but it's tasty bread - especially toasted.

add: scratch the picture; I still haven't figured out how to attach them from my phone. It's just a round peasant loaf though, with a couple of crossed slashes in the top... it came out a tad heavy, but with a nice crust.

Got the brewery cleaned up, save for the last armload of bottles. Got the pit fired up, going to bbq some chicken leg quarters. Nice big roaster size ones too. My son brought home this big pouch of sauce from his 2nd job called cactus butter. Kinda orange with bits of stuff in it they say is good?

Pinto beans and Spanish-style short-grain brown rice tonight, and homemade salsa if I get my bunz into the kitchen and make it.

Tomorrow, buta kimchi - marinated and grilled pork steaks with stir-fried onions, peppers, and kimchi. Meat sliced up and tossed with the stir-fry at the last moment. Found my little camera that used to stay in the kitchen so maybe I can remember a picture or two! :D

Been a long time since I've posted, but I'm back! Catching up on reading all the wonderful things I've missed out on!

nFIbubJXKPckqmtvZMT3Q7ZDAd3-mf9dgqNiIxDEW5fs=w6020-h4000-no

But that's some fine looking sourdough:p

Back