What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tossed some country style pork ribs in the crock pot yesterday...chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt. Drained and pulled the bones. Refrigerated at the moment. Defatted the liguid...congealed into a nice porky Jell-O. I'll fry some onions in the fat. Pork tacos for dinner tonight!

1431965475927657429507.jpg

Well...no photos of the pork tacos...forgot son had another baseball game tonight. Too rushed. Then oldest daughter and grandbaby came to spend the night to help with younger kids while I'm having the nose surgery...evidently, SWMBO promised her I would cook a steak for her. Never told me! Luckily, T-bones were on sale this week and I bought two yesterday. About to head to bed...have to be at hospital at 5:15 a.m. And so...people will have to make food for ME for at least a couple of meals!

Good luck, Matt! In which hospital are you having your procedure done?

Hmm, maybe I shoulda asked before now...

Well...no photos of the pork tacos...forgot son had another baseball game tonight. Too rushed. Then oldest daughter and grandbaby came to spend the night to help with younger kids while I'm having the nose surgery...evidently, SWMBO promised her I would cook a steak for her. Never told me! Luckily, T-bones were on sale this week and I bought two yesterday. About to head to bed...have to be at hospital at 5:15 a.m. And so...people will have to make food for ME for at least a couple of meals!

Good luck Matt! :)
Regards, GF.

Barbecued a chuck roast on the grill last Friday, 1st time I've tried to do a roast on the grill. Also grilled up some taters to go with it. The roast was a little overdone, but it was tasty nonetheless.
Regards, GF.

may2015a 007a1.jpg

may2015a 009a1.jpg

may2015a 011a1.jpg

I like to pit bbq a dry-rubbed chuck roast opposite the coals with wood on them for a few hours. Low & slow to medium rare or so is good! or just sprinkle with SPGO & slow bbq till done, then slather on your favorite sauce. My fil liked the latter.:mug:

Smoked a corned brisket last weekend. Finally got around to getting the rest of the ingredients for some Ruben sandwiches. I didn't have any homemade sauerkraut, so I bought a jar of Vlasic with Caraway seeds. I used 2 slices of pepperjack cheese and some simple sauce.

Not the best Ruben I've ever had, but still pretty good. I wish I had a meat slicer to slice that pastrami thin.

Last night I was in a hurry to get to the brewery to sample a firkin they were tapping, so I nuked some Gordon's Fish Fillets and stuffed them into some old hot dog buns with some mayo, relish, and pepperjack cheese.

It was actually really good. I only wish the fish were crispy on the outside.

We used to like the batter-dipped fish wedges Giant Eagle used to sell. I'd deep fry'em with some fries. Then hit'em both with some malt vinegar! :rockin:

Reprise of the slow-cooker pulled pork I've made a couple times as we're having friends over tonight. This time, I took roughly three pounds of pork, about 10% of it fat, and rubbed it with pestle-ground black and sichuan pepper mixed with salt. Tossed into a bag with a few dashes of black Chinese vinegar (up there with balsamic for best vinegar I've ever tasted), some dark mushroom soy sauce, flat Coca Cola, coffee dregs and grounds from my morning coffee in the French press, some star anise, bay, and a couple dried chilis. Marinated overnight, then tossed it in the slow cooker this morning on top of a rough-chopped onion and some more Coca Cola. It'll be sandwiches on toasted Uighur soda bread in the northwestern Chinese style with some good old American barbecue sauce and chopped onions. When I get home this evening, I'll take out the pork after about ten hours of cooking and toss some salt, pepper, and soy sauce marinated chicken wings in the juices and seasonings from the pork in the slow cooker for the last hour before everyone arrives. Corn on the cob on the side and homebrewed beer (of course!) to wash it all down.

Made crock pot pulled pork yesterday and then some big cookies with milk chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and pecan pieces.

IMG_20150521_184151727.jpg

IMG_20150521_182525393.jpg

Last edited:
Smoked a turkey the other day and of course had a ton of leftovers, so I threw together a pot pie. Onions and carrots sauteed, frozen corn and peas thrown in towards the end. Gravy made from a minimal amount of turkey fat, butter, flour, milk, chicken bullion, and just a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
Cheated on the crust and used puff pastry.

Dee-freakin-licious

I don't think this qualifies as cooking, but I'll toss it in anyway.

I had a yen for a Bloody Mary, but no Bloody Mary mix on hand. It was drizzling rain outside, I was barefoot with a couple of drinks down me already, and there was no way I was going to drive somewhere to buy some. So I started scrounging through the kitchen, and this is what I came up with.

25 oz Budweiser chelada picante
small (4 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 oz (big shot) vodka
2-3 dashes Worchestershire sauce
2-3 dashes Tapatio hot sauce
pinch of sea salt
touch of black pepper

Pour chelada gently into an empty 40 oz Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor bottle. I suppose you could use a pitcher if you haven't been slumming thru your local convenience store lately, but the bottle has a cap so you can stash any leftovers for later. :)

Add remaining ingredients, cap bottle, and turn slowly end for end a few times to mix.

Pour over ice a glass at a time; enjoy.

Were they world-class Bloody Marys? No, but they were definitely drinkable. I'm surprised no one has a carbonated Bloody Mary Mix on the market yet...

Not a lot tonight - Colcannon and pan seared scallops.

Prep for the party tomorrow - 16# of pork but in a brine, along with a turkey breast (separate containers, same brine). Plan to be up in 7 hours to get the grill lit prior to a run. Hope to have 10 hours of smoke on the pork, and 3 on the turkey. Have hot links an brats to throw into the mix.

You had me with colcannon! And I figure you 16 lb butt is just an attempt to outdo my 9 Kb butt. Man I love colcannon. Would love to know how you do yours.

You had me with colcannon! And I figure you 16 lb butt is just an attempt to outdo my 9 Kb butt. Man I love colcannon. Would love to know how you do yours.

C'mon, everyone knows my butt is big.

No, just have a large party. I use the basics of my mother's recipe, but kale, leaks, potatos and butter. Like, a whole cow's worth of butter. :drunk:

We start with whole potatoes, remove a portion of the skin but leave some behind. Boil, and then mash down. Then thin sliced leaks, sauteed. A little salt and pepper in them. Add fresh kale and wilt. Add the whole pan's worth of veg to the potatoes, along with some butter (not a lot), mix to integrate.

Next part is important - serve really hot, but leave the back of a spoon indentation in the colcannon. Add butter, top with more colcannon.

Dig in with a your spoon or fork and watch the butter cascade out. Mix in, and enjoy with a bit more salt and pepper to taste.

C'mon, everyone knows my butt is big.

No, just have a large party. I use the basics of my mother's recipe, but kale, leaks, potatos and butter. Like, a whole cow's worth of butter. :drunk:

We start with whole potatoes, remove a portion of the skin but leave some behind. Boil, and then mash down. Then thin sliced leaks, sauteed. A little salt and pepper in them. Add fresh kale and wilt. Add the whole pan's worth of veg to the potatoes, along with some butter (not a lot), mix to integrate.

Next part is important - serve really hot, but leave the back of a spoon indentation in the colcannon. Add butter, top with more colcannon.

Dig in with a your spoon or fork and watch the butter cascade out. Mix in, and enjoy with a bit more salt and pepper to taste.

Funny, last night I skinned potatoes, cut kale and green onions for colcannon tonight. I use green onions instead of leaks. I'm putting a big tenderloin roast on the grill tonight.

I'll definitely have pics.

Back