What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brined a big brisket into a corned beef, then coated with pepper and coriander and garlic, then smoked to make this pastrami.

The rest of the sandwich is homemade swiss (Jarlsberg) cheese, homemade cole slaw, homemade kraut, homemade mustard, and homemade rye with lots of extra caraway seed.

Also pictured is a super-drinkable homebrew amarillo / simcoe IPA, served from the keg through a randall holding 3 oz of leaf centennial. Nose full of hops, I'm loving that Hop Rocket.

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

I brined a big brisket into a corned beef, then coated with pepper and coriander and garlic, then smoked to make this pastrami.

The rest of the sandwich is homemade swiss (Jarlsberg) cheese, homemade cole slaw, homemade kraut, homemade mustard, and homemade rye with lots of extra caraway seed.

Also pictured is a super-drinkable homebrew amarillo / simcoe IPA, served from the keg through a randall holding 3 oz of leaf centennial. Nose full of hops, I'm loving that Hop Rocket.

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

That brings a tear to my eye:D

5# 2 row
5# Vienna
1.75 (total) oz US Golding (60, 30, 0)
US-05 slurry

while a couple of pounds of deer meat smoked on the grill... :)

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

My mouth is watering, and I just ate...

Im going to do a pork shoulder Saturday and make some Carolina BBQ sauce. I need something summer-ish to drown out winter

These spices are expensive but very awesome.

I found them because Federal Donuts in Philly uses them for some of their fried chicken recipes and they have some of the best chicken I have ever had.

I bought a couple and have been using them..mmmmm

Made a plain roasted chicken with the za'atar spice and it was great.

Not for evryone but very interesting stuff.

http://shop.laboiteny.com/collections/spices?view=all

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

If you were not so far away I would be knocking on your door about now wanting a big sammich.

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

Holy jesus christ that makes my pepe tingle.

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

Love everything about this post

Awe inspiring (and hunger inducing!) Only way to do more would be to make your own pint glass and plate!

Travis, you got a recipe for that Cake?

Here you go:

Chocolate Guinness Cake – Nigella Lawson
Ingredients
for the cake
• 1 cup guinness
• 8.83 oz unsalted butter
• ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
• 2 cups superfine sugar
• ¾ cup sour cream
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
for the topping
• 8 oz cream cheese
• 1 ¼ cups confectioners' sugar
• ½ cup heavy cream (or whipping cream)

Method
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 350ºF, and butter and line a 23cm / 9 inch springform tin.
2. Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the butter - in spoons or slices - and heat until the butter's melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the brown, buttery, beery pan and finally whisk in the flour and bicarb.
3. Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack, as it is quite a damp cake.
4. When the cake's cold, sit it on a flat platter or cake stand and get on with the icing. Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the confectioners' sugar and then beat them both together. Or do this in a processor, putting the unsieved confectioners' sugar in first and blitz to remove lumps before adding the cheese.
5. Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency. Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint.

Next time I make it I am going to ice it with a recipe I have for Bailey's Irish Cream Cheese Icing! But I can't find that one right now.

These are the baked beans I did to go with the ribs the other night. A new recipe for me, and it blew me away. Simple to make and everybody just loved them!! I will make these again and again this summer when grilling!

Bourbon BBQ Baked Beans – AdashofSoul.com

Ingredients

• 1 T. olive oil
• 1 T. butter or buttery spread
• ½ c. diced onions
• ½ c. diced bell peppers (I use mostly red, a little green)
• ⅓ c. prepared barbecue sauce (whatever you have lying around)
• ¼ c. ketchup
• ¼ c. brown sugar
• 2 t. molasses
• 2 t. apple cider vinegar
• ½ t. Worcestershire sauce
• ⅓ c. bourbon whiskey
• 40 oz. canned baked beans

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
3. When the pan is hot, add the onions and bell peppers and sauté until they are soft and just begin to brown.
4. Add the barbecue sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, and whiskey to the pan. Stir together and let boil for a few minutes.
5. Remove the skillet from the heat.
6. Drain the canned baked beans as much as you possibly can (I like to remove the top from the can and then press it into the can to squeeze the liquid out).
7. Pour the drained beans into the skillet, then stir gently to coat the beans in the sauce.
8. Spray a casserole dish or other baking pan with nonstick spray.
9. Pour the bean mixture into the dish and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the beans are bubbling throughout and brown on top.
10. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe by A Dash of Soul at http://adashofsoul.com/2013/09/01/bourbon-bbq-baked-beans/

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

That sir is a beautiful post. Ahhhh to be able to get to my smoker....

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

Dude. I just openly wept! LOL! That looks so damn good, and the thought of that IPA to go with it, served through the Hop Rocket ... just too much. :mug:

brewbama - you should try swapping the sugar out and replacing it with DME. It makes a world of difference :-D I've got a soft pretzel recipe (I think it was in BYO a few years back) that uses DME that is great. Everytime I take them to a get together they are gone in minutes, everyone wants to make sure they get one.

Nice work on the braid. I've given up and just make pretzel nuggets because it's easier than fighting with the dough. It always seems that as soon as I get it rolled into a snake that I think should work it shrinks up lengthwise before I can get it shaped.

Pretzels. Snowed in so time to make comfort food. I used Alton Brown's recipe ( http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe.html)

IMG_20150306_131451_zpslm71otcr.jpg

Those are pretty! I've done Alton's recipe before the everybody devoured them. I think I made sodium carbonate by cooking sodium bicarbonate for the base bath (or that may be what's in Alton's recipe, can't remember). I would like to get some food grade lye a try sometime though. Supposedly makes a difference.

That's just over the top awesome!! I was reading recipes Wednesday about brining my own brisket, but I saw I could not have it ready by St. Pattie's day and decided to wait a bit. I'm slowcooking a brisket today or tomorrow already, But after seeing the beauty on the grill and then sliced, I think I'm gonna buy two and get one corning!!!!

Wow, just awesome Pawn! :mug:

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

Good lookin cookin right there!

I'm in the midst of cooking two pounds of dried blackeyed peas with two big ham hocks.

The weather is in the 70s but we haven't HAD much in the way of cold or rainy stuff again for the 3rd year in a row so sun be damned, gonna have me some comfort food anyway!

_mg_9723-65166.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

Culinary acrobatics man, culinary acrobatics!
Regards, GF. :mug:

sauerkraut and bratwurst today

salmon, asparagus and hollandaise sauce yesterday

Toasted sesame seeds to make tahini, all I had in the pantry was a can of black beans. Black bean hummus with lemon juice, Cumin, salt, tahini and a bit of cayenne, them made spinach black bean hummus wraps. I think someone is volunteering to do a taste test!

Did you let him know it was vegetarian?:p

Latest posts

Back