What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
French-style lamb stew. OMG that stuff was good! It was actually way beyond good.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/french-style-lamb-stew

french-style-lamb-stew.jpg

Made some homemade tomato soup today from my gardens' tomatoes.
Ran the tomatoes thru the juicer, simmered all afternoon then finish it off with some balsamic vinegar, onion & garlic powder, soy sauce, brown sugar and basil. Top it off with fresh basil and Tabasco and served it with homemade biscuits.

Dan6310

Question: what did you do with the pulp from the tomato juicing? If you have a dehydrator and line it with parchment, you can dry it and then pulverize it into a powder using a food processor and use it in soups, stews and other dishes.

Roast pork with onions, carrots, turnips and garlic cloves, on a bed of onion and mushrooms that were sauteed in the butter and olive oil used to brown the meat. I brushed everything a couple of times with the same butter and olive oil...

I used a Santa Maria-style dry rub on the pork, and let it set in the fridge for a few hours before cooking it.

roast pork and root veggies 005.jpg

Yesterday we smoked 12 half-racks of baby back ribs, a package of linguica, 8 spicy Italian sausages, 2 pastrami-rubbed corned beef flats, and 2 boneless pork shoulders. Today we vacuum-sealed most of it and it's in the freezer, except the pastramis, which are vacuum-sealed and being bathed in the sous vide for about 4 hours. Then they'll be chilled, sliced, and sealed up for freezing.

We always put the sausages on the top rack above the other meats (except the hanging ribs) so that their yumminess drips down on everything beneath them and adds some great flavor.

That's some gorgeous looking meat!
Regards, GF. :mug:

French-style lamb stew. OMG that stuff was good! It was actually way beyond good.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/french-style-lamb-stew

french-style-lamb-stew.jpg

Looks & sounds good podz, but the recipe seems to be missing something:

1⁄2 cup (125 ml) red wine
3 tablespoon Olive Oil
6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 clove garlic sliced

4 of what? What did you do for this missing item?
Regards, GF.

Looks & sounds good podz, but the recipe seems to be missing something:

1⁄2 cup (125 ml) red wine
3 tablespoon Olive Oil
6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 clove garlic sliced

4 of what? What did you do for this missing item?
Regards, GF.

Just ignored it!

Question: what did you do with the pulp from the tomato juicing? If you have a dehydrator and line it with parchment, you can dry it and then pulverize it into a powder using a food processor and use it in soups, stews and other dishes.

My juicer has 2 mesh screens, a fine and a coarse. I used the coarse which gets almost all of the pulp. Just skins and seeds are in the waste bucket.

I use the dehydrator to make "sun dried" tomatoes. I just finished drying some jalapeños to grind into a powder.

Dan6310

Today I'm fixing up some Texas caviar to snack on for the next couple of days. Having friends over and making some Apple Crisp for dessert.

If we weren't having friends coming over with food I'd probably just eat that texas caviar all day long.

Last week made a jalepenos meatloaf (50% pork, 50% beef) stuffed with pepperoni, mushrooms and a half pound of whole milk mozzarella. On top is a caramelized red onion, and a honey-ketchup-dijon glaze.

DSC_0865.JPG

DSC_0867.JPG

Well, made dough yesterday, stopped in at whole foods to pick up a pint and figure out the toppings I wanted.. Grabbed a Deschutes fresh squeezed and proceeded to make bad life choices. Same ingredients on both, but the first is a can of san marzanos reduced down in a pot with fresh oregano, thyme, and Genovese basil from the garden with a clove of garlic and salt, the second pie is a garlic cream/gravy base with fresh parsley from the garden.

Ingredients: Applewood smoked bacon, "Tuscan" style ground pork, and chicken (both cooked in the bacon fat), Cremini mushrooms, green onions and freshly grated whole milk mozzarella (I love this stuff!).

DG_HmJYrXdK3brn1v-_AJXo9lw3i97zXvIACErHa2Myv=w920-h612-no

DSC_0872.JPG

Second Pie:

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0883.JPG

I harvested 2 gallon bags worth of fermented sauerkraut.

Then I realized there are only two people eating solid food in my house...

It keeps well, and you can "can" it easily with water bath process, then keep in cabinets. Mason jars are really cheap. I have many jars of mine still in there.

In the brine or drained?

I just put the kraut in mine, then covered with brine (I think, maybe I added water to the jars?), then canned. Looks like the following pic. Now I'm hungry, think I'll make a hot dog and have some kraut and mustard on it (homemade mustard!).

_mg_7967-62244.jpg

I just put the kraut in mine, then covered with brine (I think, maybe I added water to the jars?), then canned. Looks like the following pic. Now I'm hungry, think I'll make a hot dog and have some kraut and mustard on it (homemade mustard!).

_mg_7967-62244.jpg

:off: If I liked Kraut, this would make me jealous and hungry, but kraut is gross, your other posts make me hungry PP :mug:

Won't you lose any probiotic benefit by heating it up to that high of a temp? Don't get me wrong, the taste is the most important factor to me, but the health benefits are an added bonus.

I made a batch in quart jars about 10 months ago and it keeps getting better in the fridge without any canning. It sounds like an excuse to have brats a few times a month if you ask me :mug:

Won't you lose any probiotic benefit by heating it up to that high of a temp? Don't get me wrong, the taste is the most important factor to me, but the health benefits are an added bonus.

I made a batch in quart jars about 10 months ago and it keeps getting better in the fridge without any canning. It sounds like an excuse to have brats a few times a month if you ask me :mug:

Yes. I did consider that, but upon further consideration, I get tons of probiotic intake, and I'm not sold that it's necessary at all. I think our bodies have so much flora/fauna that a little bit from some yogurt or kraut is pointless.

My biggest fear would be that the kraut would not retain it's body, and it would become a weak flaccid mass. I'd say it didn't change at all from the canning process. I really like the Silver Floss brand that the store carries because it's so crunchy. Not sure how they pull that off, since the fermentation seemed to affect the crunch. I might try some CaCl (pickle crisp) in my next batch.

Every recipe I have ever found calls for the cabbage to be shredded super thin, but I have always found that a rougher, thicker shred made for crunchier and more texturally interesting kraut. Of course, I used to make much less and it would consumed within 2 or 3 meals...

And then I discovered the magic time of year, autumn, when cabbage goes on sale for $0.29/lb or less...

Smoked pork loin stuffed with butter, onion, bread crumbs, cider, and cranberries from last weekend with some zucchini on the side.

Wife also made some pumpkin and kale mac n cheese last week. I was skeptical but it was some of the best mac n cheese I've ever had. The pumpkin flavor was barely there but it added a great creaminess.

pork dinner.jpg

mac n cheese.jpg

I harvested 2 gallon bags worth of fermented sauerkraut.

Then I realized there are only two people eating solid food in my house...

Keeps forever in the fridge, no worries. Might even get better over time. No point canning unless you are really hard up for fridge space.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Keeps forever in the fridge, no worries. Might even get better over time. No point canning unless you are really hard up for fridge space.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Our fridge is almost always full. Hard up for space most of the time. But since canning is so easy, costs nothing if you have the jars, why not?

I need to figure out what to make this weekend. I got some chops thawed, so that's a given. Trying to think of something special.

I have some broccoli and some velveeta for cheese soup. Maybe I should just cook the chops for one meal and make cheese soup for another. Not that special though. I do need to perfect the cheese soup recipe. My last batch was ok, but not quite exactly what I wanted. Wish I'd kept notes.

How do you feel about the idea of CreamyGoodness's famous stuffed pork chops with either rice pilaf or mashed potatoes?

Depending on how hungry you and Mrs. Cidal are, the cheese soup could go with it nicely...

Take your large bone-in chops (if you have the wimpy thin ones, no issue just use two and put stuffing in the middle like a sandwich.

In a mixing bowl you will want chopped parsley (flat or curly, dried works too) kosher salt, ground black pepper, grated parm/peccorino/sprinz whatever, a few ounces of provolone that has been cubed tiny, the end of a pepperoni cubed tiny, bread crumbs and an egg. Mix well with hands adjusting the moisture level with a little water or another egg if necessary. You are going for a thick, somewhat dry paste.

Open a pocket in your chop (or make a wimpy chop sandwich as in above) and stuff with a healthy portion of your stuffing. Now press about 1/4 an inch of the stuffing on the outsides, forming a breading. If the consistency is right this should adhere nicely. Pan saute in a little oil (olive is good, so is canola or veggie) and cook until the outside has a nice brown crust. Depending on the size of the chop you may have to put her in a 350 degree oven at this time to cook through.

Voila.

Awesome! I may have to sub the cubed pepperoni for some chopped slices. I have plenty of slices in the fridge for pizzas that need used up anyway.

I think my chops are what I'd call "standard thickness. I've seen thicker and thinner chops at the store.

Back