What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some guac and grilled fish (striped bass) tacos this weekend....

guac1-63438.jpg

guac2-63439.jpg

fish-taco1-63440.jpg

fish-taco2-63441.jpg

Those look nice! I don't have a salad spinner or convection oven but I think low and slow with my "air bake" perforated pizza pan and then high heat after saucing will be good. I don't have corn starch but I might try pancake mix to see if I can make mine a little less crunchy and a little more crispy.

Did you soak, cook, then dry them? I've never bought bagged beans but decided to incorporate more in my diet so I want to save money over canned beans. I was wondering if I could soak chick peas and then slow roast them to cut out the boiling.

When I saw this just now I was inspired. I had a thought though. Has anyone thought to mix a little sriracha in the soaking water to see if you can get some of the spice inside the peas?

Tonight, I led off with Bacon-Wrapped-Tater-Tots and added some glaze with SWMBO's Pepper Jelly, brown water, and Sweet Baby Ray's. I wrapped them with my homemade bacon thinly sliced on a mandolin. I can highly recommend these served alongside a cool drank.

Bacon... wrapped... tater... tots? You have my attention.

Since I was at the beach all last week I did not get pictures of all the meals. We had homemade (not real) meatballs with spaghetti the first night. The second night was Taco night. Third night was fend for yourself night. Fourth? we steamed up 60 lbs of shrimp. I think there were sides, I really do not remember. Baked fish the fifth night, red snapper two ways (with a parm and fresh basil butter topper on one, the other was some Paula Dean recipe). I do not remember the next nights dinner. All I remember is we had a tequila tasting.

I wish I had taken pictures to share with you all, but when on vacation I try to keep the cell phone put away. You cannot relax properly with one of those things around.

... We had homemade (not real) meatballs with spaghetti the first night...
...I wish I had taken pictures to share with you all, but when on vacation I try to keep the cell phone put away. You cannot relax properly with one of those things around.

"Homemade but not real" meatballs? How does that work? you not talking about faux-meat-meatballs are you!
Why not engage flightmode on you cell, then it is just a camera... as long as you don't have games/apps that crave your attention on there.

"Homemade but not real" meatballs? How does that work? you not talking about faux-meat-meatballs are you!
Why not engage flightmode on you cell, then it is just a camera... as long as you don't have games/apps that crave your attention on there.

I misspoke. Homemade but nowhere near authentic. They are always a winner though. Moms recipe.

We had several families, some 60+ people overall with maybe 19 of them children under 6 at the beach. I somehow got branded as the fun one (my fault) and as a result I ended up soaked nightly and covered in sand. My poor phone wouldn't have survived the first night. And I still stand by the point that it is hard to truly relax with one around. The temptation to pick it up and check something real quick is too high.

Now for a week back at work followed by our families 8th annual pig roast this Saturday. I will try to get some good food shots for you all to share.

Blurry pic, so I apologize in advance...

More Mexican tonight. Early this morning I took a roast, rubbed it with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder, and seared the bejesus out of it in a hot cast iron pan. From there it went in the crock pot with more spices, garlic, onion, jalapeno, a nut brown ale, a pinch of cocoa powder, and the remainder of the morning's coffee. The roast went for about 12 hours and might have been one of the best I've done.

The beans were a huge disappointment. They were soaked overnight and simmered for a few hours today. I changed out the water and added some crispy bacon and onions (I'm not sure there's a better flavor combination to be found anywhere), some tomato paste, and spices. Maybe I didn't mash the beans enough or my seasoning was off but the whole thing tasted watered down and generally not good to me.

Cut up a green and red bell pepper, some garlic another jalapeno, and an onion and took that to same cast iron pan used for bacon and beef with a touch of tomato paste in each batch. Served on a storebought soft tortilla (usually make my own but ran short on time) with sour cream and shredded cheese.

If I didn't have a stupid job I'd be in the kitchen all day and no one would hear a peep out of me :mug:

tacos.jpg

Blurry pic, so I apologize in advance...

More Mexican tonight. Early this morning I took a roast, rubbed it with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder, and seared the bejesus out of it in a hot cast iron pan. From there it went in the crock pot with more spices, garlic, onion, jalapeno, a nut brown ale, a pinch of cocoa powder, and the remainder of the morning's coffee. The roast went for about 12 hours and might have been one of the best I've done.

The beans were a huge disappointment. They were soaked overnight and simmered for a few hours today. I changed out the water and added some crispy bacon and onions (I'm not sure there's a better flavor combination to be found anywhere), some tomato paste, and spices. Maybe I didn't mash the beans enough or my seasoning was off but the whole thing tasted watered down and generally not good to me.

Cut up a green and red bell pepper, some garlic another jalapeno, and an onion and took that to same cast iron pan used for bacon and beef with a touch of tomato paste in each batch. Served on a storebought soft tortilla (usually make my own but ran short on time) with sour cream and shredded cheese.

If I didn't have a stupid job I'd be in the kitchen all day and no one would hear a peep out of me :mug:

Seems to be a mexican vibe in the air! Care to share your tortilla recipe? Never attempted them but it has crossed my mind.

Chicken Souvlaki tonight. I've been making tons of greek yogurt, so why not. Chicken, gr peppers, red onion on skewers, grilled, then into pita pockets with souvlaki sauce from my yogurt. So easy, and my family loved it. I brined the chicken for an hour before grilling and the meat was juicy. Sorry, no pictures of the stuffed pita pockets, we were engaged in a soccer match on the TV.

_mg_8549-63447.jpg

_mg_8555-63445.jpg

I had my oldest daughter and her husband over for dinner Sunday night and I got busy and didn't take pictures. I grilled a London broil, seasoned with just Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder...nice medium rare, Caesar salad, Velveeta Shells & Cheese (younger kids had to get a concession), homemade macaroni salad, steamed broccoli with a Mexican style cheese dip drizzle, and fresh cherries to nibble on. I sliced the London Broil thinly and served with warm flour tortillas, sour cream and shredded cheese. I think I managed to eat a little of everything!

Seems to be a mexican vibe in the air! Care to share your tortilla recipe? Never attempted them but it has crossed my mind.

Few things go together better than Mexican food and summertime :rockin:
I tend to have the best results with this, but I use bread flour and a touch more baking powder and knead it more than the recipe indicates.

Chicken Souvlaki tonight. I've been making tons of greek yogurt, so why not. Chicken, gr peppers, red onion on skewers, grilled, then into pita pockets with souvlaki sauce from my yogurt. So easy, and my family loved it. I brined the chicken for an hour before grilling and the meat was juicy. Sorry, no pictures of the stuffed pita pockets, we were engaged in a soccer match on the TV.

_mg_8549-63447.jpg

_mg_8555-63445.jpg
Wow I don't normally salivate this early in the morning.

This past weekend I made herb roasted Cornish game hens & vegetables. The birds were stuffed with 1/4 Vidalia onion, 1/4 fresh lemon, 1 sprig each of fresh thyme, tarragon, rosemary & a teaspoon of chopped garlic.

The rest of the chopped fresh herbs went on top & a bottle of wine vinegarette dressing went over all. The veggies were red potatoes, celery, baby carrots, Vidalia onion, with a bit of garlic & herbs. 1st pic is the raw stuff about to go into the oven, if you look closely, you can just see the top of the herbed birds.

Then a pic of the green & yellow wax beans I sauteed in a bit of olive oil & butter with sh!take, enoki & white button mushrooms with a good healthy pinch of fresh tarragon & slivered almonds. And of course a couple pics (different angles) of the plated food. I think next time I'll replace the vinegarette with white wine & butter and add some fresh sage. Also I won't bury the birds in the veggies, this prevented proper browning of the birds; they were done, just not browned as much as I'd have liked.
Regards, GF.

EDIT: Not sure what happened to the 1st pic, it looked fine when I uploaded it. Regards, GF.

gamehens 001a1a1.jpg

gamehens 002a1a1.jpg

gamehens 004a1a1.jpg

gamehens 005a1a1.jpg

Can't easily get the pic from my 1st gen smartphone, but I made a batch of soft pretzels with DME in place of the sugar. Suffice to say, I made them Friday evening and by Sunday evening the whole batch was gone. Guess I'll just have to make more :-D

Hey Bucknuts, I made that tomatillo salsa you posted a while back (with a few substitutions for necessity's sake) just this weekend thinking I could use it when I made Mexican a few days ago.
That **** didn't even last the night, wife and I ate most of the batch in one sitting! Super easy too...thanks for sharing!

Hey Bucknuts, I made that tomatillo salsa you posted a while back (with a few substitutions for necessity's sake) just this weekend thinking I could use it when I made Mexican a few days ago.
That **** didn't even last the night, wife and I ate most of the batch in one sitting! Super easy too...thanks for sharing!

no problem glad you enjoyed it. It's easy and tasty and it goes quick here as well.

I like this focaccia bread we get from the food bank that looks like it's baked in a cake pan. Chef John on Food Wishes shows a simple Focaccia recipe I wanna try that way. I love Focaccia pizza!
Since today is retiree payday, I made toasted English muffins with pressed sage sausage patties,pepper jack cheese, & eggs like I saw them do once in SE Asia. One egg beaten with sea salt & pepper in a hot cast iron skillet, formed roughly into a rectangle. When almost done, fold it to put on the sandwich. It should be slightly golden brown as well. Since I cut 6 patties from the roll & into a hamburger press, they came out Big & juicy. Just right muffin size.

Huevos Rancheros, a favorite of mine, all the better with the salsa fresh from the garden, forgot the avocados.

LOOKS AWESOME!!!1

My cilantro has gone all spindly too. My parsley looks healthy as a horse, but the cilantro next to it is all flowers and wispy little leaves...

LOOKS AWESOME!!!1

My cilantro has gone all spindly too. My parsley looks healthy as a horse, but the cilantro next to it is all flowers and wispy little leaves...

Cilantro is cheap as dirt coriander seeds not so much I let my cilantro go to seed and harvest and dry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

LOOKS AWESOME!!!1

It seems to be a problem every year, the tomatoes are coming into their own and the cilantro is going to seed, at least the basil is still going strong this year.

It seems to be a problem every year, the tomatoes are coming into their own and the cilantro is going to seed, at least the basil is still going strong this year.

My oregano and sage are looking spindly too, but yes!, basil, tomatoes, and peppers are all kicking ass!!

Back