What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the San Marcos brand chipotles in adobo much better. The La Costena brand are packed with onions in the can and arent as flavorful imo. I really like making salsas and sauces from the dried red chipotle chilis (chili morita) I'm making roasted tomatillo/chipotle salsa today. Tasty stuff

Roasted Tomatillo/Chipotle Salsa. salt to taste and add a pinch of sugar for balance. This is a staple in my fridge. This is quite spicy but delicious, like the Franks hot sauce ad says "I put that **** on everything"
tcs1.jpg
tcs2.jpg
tcs3.jpg
tcs4.jpg
tcs5.jpg
tcs6.jpg
tcs7.jpg
tcs8.jpg

Nice bucknuts!
That looks really good and simple...might need to give that a go this weekend.
Do you follow a recipe or make it on the fly each time?

Nice bucknuts!
That looks really good and simple...might need to give that a go this weekend.
Do you follow a recipe or make it on the fly each time?

My mother in law taught me a bunch of basic salsas she was born in Veracruz and grew up in Mexico City. I wrote them down at the time but I've made them so often I don't use the recipes anymore. My wife hates to cook and never had any interest in learning the food of her culture which I think is a shame. I have learned so much from my mother in law and aunts about cooking Mexican food both in terms of recipes and techniques. You can't buy the education you get cooking with a bunch of older Mexican ladies and they all love to show me how to cook different dishes. I swear I gain 15 pounds every time I go visit.

Roasted Tomatillo/Chipotle Salsa. salt to taste and add a pinch of sugar for balance. This is a staple in my fridge. This is quite spicy but delicious, like the Franks hot sauce ad says "I put that **** on everything"

That looks great! I made a roasted tomatillo/yellow chili salsa verde the other day, and it was just really bland. No real flavor and kinda disappointing. Chipotle would be a nice touch!

That looks great! I made a roasted tomatillo/yellow chili salsa verde the other day, and it was just really bland. No real flavor and kinda disappointing. Chipotle would be a nice touch!

It's anything but bland without the sugar to balance it the salsa is very spicy and smoky. I just use a pinch of sugar but it makes a difference in the flavor. I eat it on scrambled eggs all the time I like something spicy in the morning to wake me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Last night, carne asada tacos - soft corn tortillas, chopped cilantro/green onion, pico de gallo, seasoned crema, and guacamole, plus refried beans on the side.

Tonight, fresh wild-caught King salmon tacos - pretty much with the above, except I added some dill to the crema, and am making Mexican rice instead of refried beans!

Homebrew of course. Probably our nice Monterey Bay Brown Ale.

Last night, carne asada tacos - soft corn tortillas, chopped cilantro/green onion, pico de gallo, seasoned crema, and guacamole, plus refried beans on the side.

Tonight, fresh wild-caught King salmon tacos - pretty much with the above, except I added some dill to the crema, and am making Mexican rice instead of refried beans!

Homebrew of course. Probably our nice Monterey Bay Brown Ale.

Oh yeah? :)

Tonight - elk fajitas (marinated in orange/lime, garlic, cumin, mexican oregano, chili powder, salt & pepper), flour tortillas, chipped cilantro, homemade blackberry/habanero salsa, cubed avacado, homemade crema, and cuban black beans on the side. ;)

:mug:

View attachment 213397
View attachment 213398
View attachment 213399
View attachment 213400
View attachment 213401
View attachment 213402
View attachment 213403
View attachment 213404

I'm going to need tomatillo recipes, looks like a bumper crop for me this year:D

I'm going to need tomatillo recipes, looks like a bumper crop for me this year:D

My 2 plants are huge as well. That salsa was a little more than a pound of tomatillo weighed with the husks on, dehusked, rinsed and roasted under the broiler until blackened on both sides 4-5 min each side as you know oven temps vary. 4 chili chipotle morita(dried red) toasted on both sides in a hot dry pan 30 ish seconds each side then reconstituted in hot water for 10 minutes. I use the canned chipotle in adobo sometimes but I like the dried red ones better. Half of a medium onion sliced, 3-4 garlic cloves (those were huge I used 3) baked at 450 or broiled until darkened, color = flavor. then everything in the blender with a bit of the water the chilis were soaked in blend until smooth add water as needed to get to consistency you want. I like it on the thick side personally. My mother in law does not blend the onion but chops them as she likes the salsa chunky. I make roasted tomatillo/serrano salsa also which is almost the exact same recipe except sub serrano for chipotle and add cilantro to the finished salsa. Roasted tomatillo/serrano is my favorite condiment on earth.
edit: I did forget to note salt to taste about a tsp and a good pinch of sugar to create balance in the salsa.

My 2 plants are huge as well. That salsa was a little more than a pound of tomatillo weighed with the husks on, dehusked, rinsed and roasted under the broiler until blackened on both sides 4-5 min each side as you know oven temps vary. 4 chili chipotle morita(dried red) toasted on both sides in a hot dry pan 30 ish seconds each side then reconstituted in hot water for 10 minutes. I use the canned chipotle in adobo sometimes but I like the dried red ones better. Half of a medium onion sliced, 3-4 garlic cloves (those were huge I used 3) baked at 450 or broiled until darkened, color = flavor. then everything in the blender with a bit of the water the chilis were soaked in blend until smooth add water as needed to get to consistency you want. I like it on the thick side personally. My mother in law does not blend the onion but chops them as she likes the salsa chunky. I make roasted tomatillo/serrano salsa also which is almost the exact same recipe except sub serrano for chipotle and add cilantro to the finished salsa. Roasted tomatillo/serrano is my favorite condiment on earth.

I probably have half a dozen, they have taken over a corner of the garden, they came up wild again this year and if I didn't thin them I'd have a hundred.

I probably have half a dozen, they have taken over a corner of the garden, they came up wild again this year and if I didn't thin them I'd have a hundred.

they didnt grow worth a crap last year this year they are massive and full of fruit. My chilis on the hand arent doing well at all this year whereas last year I had a bumper crop.

My wife hates to cook and never had any interest in learning the food of her culture which I think is a shame. I have learned so much from my mother in law and aunts about cooking Mexican food both in terms of recipes and techniques. You can't buy the education you get cooking with a bunch of older Mexican ladies and they all love to show me how to cook different dishes. I swear I gain 15 pounds every time I go visit.

It's not her culture if she no longer subscribes to it ;-) My wife doesn't hate to cook, but let's say that her repertoire wasn't too advanced before she started standing in the kitchen with me several years back. Maybe you can help her to put the fun back into cooking!

Besides, you're right about the weight gaining- the very core of Mexican cuisine is high-carb. If you want to maintain an acceptable height-weight ratio, i.e. BMI between 18.5 and 25, and aren't performing manual labor all day long for a living, then you don't eat corn or corn-based products more than once in a fortnight.

Found a great recipe for tripe the other day.

Trippa alla Romana (Tripe With Tomato and Mint)

Attached is what it looked like when I was done cooking it. Came out stellar, but the wife wouldn't go near it! ;)

Some people have trouble with tripe. My idea of a heavenly Sunday breakfast or brunch is a big bowl of menudo at our favorite small restaurant, but my wife can hardly stand to watch me eat it. She usually orders a waffle buried under fruit or berries and whipped cream... :)

It's not her culture if she no longer subscribes to it ;-).

Don't let her hear you say that lol she is very proud of her Mexican heritage. Part of the reason I started to cook Mexican food was seeing how happy she was going home and eating her mom's food. A week before we fly in her mom asks my wife what she wants to eat mole, pazole, menudo, chilaquile etc she loves the food but hates cooking it.

Here's what I did. I used of can of chick peas, drained and rinsed, and spread them across a baking sheet. I set the oven for 150 degrees F and left it going while I did some morning errands. Returned to the peas about 4 hours later, tasted one for crunch and decided it was time to add some sauce. I mixed 1 part flour and 4 parts Trader Joes sriracha (more runny than the popular "rooster sauce" ) and stirred my peas in. I got everything coated nicely, spread across the pan, and turned the heat up to 200 for 30 minutes. I tasted a couple and they were a little soft (presumably from taking in moisture from the sauce) so I gave it ten more minutes.

I may try "double dipping" them next time, as they are crunchy but don't have the flavor punch I was expecting. I may also try throwing them in at a higher heat after adding sauce, just to see if I can do the drying without losing the flavor. My apartment smelled strongly of sriracha while they cooked, so I'm sure I lost a lot of flavor.

So, I tried my hand at the chickpeas. Dried them in the salad spinner after cooking, roasted at 375F for 20 minutes then tossed in mixture of 2 T. olive oil, 3 T. Sriracha and 2 t. corn starch and roasted another 20 minutes. Still a little soft, so I upped the temp to 400F and turned on the convection fan. Less than 10 minutes later, a few were burning, so I took them out. I should have stirred and redistributed at halfway point and skipped the temp change and convection and just let them finish up. Overall, the results were pretty good. Better next time!

DSC05115.jpg

So, I tried my hand at the chickpeas. Dried them in the salad spinner after cooking, roasted at 375F for 20 minutes then tossed in mixture of 2 T. olive oil, 3 T. Sriracha and 2 t. corn starch and roasted another 20 minutes. Still a little soft, so I upped the temp to 400F and turned on the convection fan. Less than 10 minutes later, a few were burning, so I took them out. I should have stirred and redistributed at halfway point and skipped the temp change and convection and just let them finish up. Overall, the results were pretty good. Better next time!

Those look nice! I don't have a salad spinner or convection oven but I think low and slow with my "air bake" perforated pizza pan and then high heat after saucing will be good. I don't have corn starch but I might try pancake mix to see if I can make mine a little less crunchy and a little more crispy.

Did you soak, cook, then dry them? I've never bought bagged beans but decided to incorporate more in my diet so I want to save money over canned beans. I was wondering if I could soak chick peas and then slow roast them to cut out the boiling.

Those look nice! I don't have a salad spinner or convection oven but I think low and slow with my "air bake" perforated pizza pan and then high heat after saucing will be good. I don't have corn starch but I might try pancake mix to see if I can make mine a little less crunchy and a little more crispy.

Did you soak, cook, then dry them? I've never bought bagged beans but decided to incorporate more in my diet so I want to save money over canned beans. I was wondering if I could soak chick peas and then slow roast them to cut out the boiling.

Yeah, I did these from dried beans...soaked overnight and simmered for about and hour and a half. I have actually bought a larger bag and pressure canned them in the past, along with blackeyed peas and black beans. They are cheaper and if you do a good sized batch and get several jars, it's worth it. Just need to find the time to do it!

It's been a while since I last posted. I've been drooling over all the great food posted lately.
Today I made a gazpacho. Most of the ingredients came from my garden.
I stopped at a farmers market and picked up some fresh picked corn and roasted it on the grill to go with the gazpacho.

That looks so, so good.

It's been a while since I last posted. I've been drooling over all the great food posted lately.
Today I made a gazpacho. Most of the ingredients came from my garden.
I stopped at a farmers market and picked up some fresh picked corn and roasted it on the grill to go with the gazpacho.

Dan6310

Looks great and you cant beat the flavor of veg you pick from your own garden.

a lightning storm is passing over while I was working on my books & cooking dinner. Power went out a couple times. good thing I saved my book files I was working on. Making a poor man's dinner. A cross between hot hot dog currie & general tsao's something or other. This Fried Rice Seasoning mix is some kind of hot seasoned sauce. Dang, is that stuff hot! My son makes it at Custom Culinary where he works. They get to take home the odd amounts. I put in 3 sweet Hungarian banana peppers, one red/orange sweet bell & 1.5 lbs of hot dogs, sliced length-wise & 1/8" chop. The peppers were sliced & chopped coarse. After frying the veggies a bit, I added 2C of beef broth & the 4C of seasoning sauce with 3C of brown rice. Then added one can each (drained) Sweet corn, peas & red kidney beans. Pics in a while...

Tonight, I led off with Bacon-Wrapped-Tater-Tots and added some glaze with SWMBO's Pepper Jelly, brown water, and Sweet Baby Ray's. I wrapped them with my homemade bacon thinly sliced on a mandolin. I can highly recommend these served alongside a cool drank.

I used this recipe for the chicken brine and rub. Again, I definitely recommend it. I did sub Chipotle Powder for Adobe Powder but I didn't even sauce it and it was awesome.

For sides, SWMBO made a little tomato and cuke salad and a squash and zucchini casserole with garden fare. Wondermus!

Of course, I served my Simple Sunday Supper with a homebrew Blonde Ale.

Getting some of the first canning done out of the vegetable garden. I put up 2 quarts of tomato sauce and three pints of a new super easy recipe for pepper relish.

20140726_211424.jpg

I'm growing 5 kinds of peppers this year: Fresno, ancho, banana, yellow bell, and chocolate. (Got a late start on the Habenero's, so they arent' in yet.) I blended a total of 1.5 lbs. all together along with a yellow onion. Turned out very colorful and fantastic!

20140727_212547.jpg

Thanks for looking! Cheers!

Thawed a small ham from the pig we had butchered. Baked it last night with some brown sugar and pineapple sauce on top. Turned out really good, and went well with the instant mashed potatoes. I went ghetto since we didn't have but a couple of small real potatoes on hand. I mixed some milk and a small cup of Little Ceaser's Butter and Garlic dipping sauce I found in the fridge.

The potatoes were just ok. I tried to go by the measurements on the box instead of doing it my sight (the end of the box and if I screwed up I would have no extra potatoes to add!) The garlic was too strong for my taste. I like garlic potatoes, but I would have preferred plain this time with lots of butter.

Well, if we're shooting' for gold on dinner plans...I have a canned ham in the fridge that SWMBO's Grandma gave us the Christmas before she passed in 1987, some grated cheese that was the last of a whole Edam cheese that I bought in Edam, Holland in 1983, a couple of Sauer's spices I bought around 1985-1987...the ground cloves will work to flavor the ham. Oh and for dessert, I have some Jell-o 1-2-3 mixed berry flavor...I don't even know when that was lat manufactured. Sometime in the 1990's?

I just looked it up... Jello 123 was discontinued in 1996. To put this in perspective, the first time my hand touched a female breast was in 1998.

Back