What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least the price of piggys seem to be dropping again. I prefer pork anyhow.

It is kind of sad that the traditionally cheap, undesirable cuts inflate in price due to demand. Or the that they might be able to charge it.

I hope so; cheapest butts I've seen lately have been ~$1.79/lb or more.

It is kind of sad that the traditionally cheap, undesirable cuts inflate in price due to demand. Or the that they might be able to charge it.

In fairness, if they're not longer undesirable, they ain't gonna be cheap.

The HEART of capitalism my friend. Usually the trendy meats cause a drop in price of better cuts.

Smoke a tenderloin instead of a shoulder!

Just don't screw with a Picnic cut for it. Tastes divine if done right but omg what a pita.

Also, if you're one who likes the traditional (read: high vinegar) sauces, you can do amazing things with pork with vinegar and a few additions. I pick up the 25% acidity bottles from the Asian market and injected in the right places it does amazing things.

Just don't screw with a Picnic cut for it. Tastes divine if done right but omg what a pita.

Also, if you're one who likes the traditional (read: high vinegar) sauces, you can do amazing things with pork with vinegar and a few additions. I pick up the 25% acidity bottles from the Asian market and injected in the right places it does amazing things.

Thus your LUST and username, eh?;)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403563507.964396.jpg
Egg muffins with ham, cheddar, inion and jalapeno.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403563555.146467.jpg
Served it with a simple little salad dressed with a cilantro lime vinaigrette I make. Very tasty tad under 300 calories.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd love to say I was that creative, but the true story is a bit more simple as I chose it just to be a prick when one of my other names got kicked. But it's funny how many people know me as Cid even IRL rather than by name now though.

Funny you say that. I was in SAMs club a few hours ago and the brisket flats were priced like they were injected with gold. #8.5 for $57. Ridiculous.

Yep, the guy at the grocery store weighed a choice flat for me and it would have been almost $70. Went to Sam's and got it for $56. Brisket has become a special once or twice-a-year treat.

Haha, post-carnage pic. Nice job cheeze.

I have a pre-carnage (but vegetarean carnage, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT????;)) but it is not so exciting.

Rarely, has a food been soooooooo satisfying!

I can not stress the EXTRA onions enough.

Fresh tomato, fresh habanero, fresh jalapeno, beans from dried. I didn't grow the onion, the beans, or the cheese.

Yep, the guy at the grocery store weighed a choice flat for me and it would have been almost $70. Went to Sam's and got it for $56. Brisket has become a special once or twice-a-year treat.

I made some currency and weight conversions with google...

Here where I live, you can't get any cut of beef for less than 6 bucks a pound. Even ground beef is well over 5. A few days ago, we found some entrecote steaks for about 9.50 a pound and got them. That's rare because it's almost half of the usual price. T-bones or rib steaks, 20-25 bucks a pound.

Even chicken wings, 2.50 a pound here.

Here where I live, you can't get any cut of beef for less than 6 bucks a pound. Even ground beef is well over 5. A few days ago, we found some entrecote steaks for about 9.50 a pound and got them. That's rare because it's almost half of the usual price. T-bones or rib steaks, 20-25 bucks a pound.

My heart goes out to you and your family for the injustice that is forced upon you......

Anyone else use chopsticks to cook?

From forming taco shells, to mixing seasonings in, I find chopsticks to be perfectly versatile.

Yup. I actually bought some of the bigger, thicker chopsticks to use specifically for cooking.

Mainly, because the kids use the rest of the chopsticks to play in the dirt. :eek:

Fajitas, stir fry, noodle dishes (Italian, chinese, etc., don't matter) - much easier to work with mixing ingredients in the pan than with a spatula.

Yup. I actually bought some of the bigger, thicker chopsticks to use specifically for cooking.

Mainly, because the kids use the rest of the chopsticks to play in the dirt. :eek:

Fajitas, stir fry, noodle dishes (Italian, chinese, etc., don't matter) - much easier to work with mixing ingredients in the pan than with a spatula.

Yep! I have some big oak dowels that I made into cooking chopsticks, but I still use the standard (real ones, not the chinese restaraunt cheapies) size the most for cooking.

99 cents at the chinese grocery for 8 pairs! can't beat that.

Yeah, my heartstrings would be twinged if I didn't know that pretty much every Finn is probably about to start their yearly 5-week summer vacation...

Anyone else use chopsticks to cook?

From forming taco shells, to mixing seasonings in, I find chopsticks to be perfectly versatile.

I use chopsticks to eat sushi & other Asian food when I eat out, but at home I usually cook with a large fork or a wooden spoon. I tried cooking with chopsticks a time or 2, but they were the small eating size. I had such a rough time with them I gave up & went back to my fork & spoon.
Regards, GF.

Yeah, my heartstrings would be twinged if I didn't know that pretty much every Finn is probably about to start their yearly 5-week summer vacation...

It's 4 weeks during the summer and 1 week (skiing vacation) during the winter. People normally start their summer vacation around midsummers (June 20th).

Not having much of a summer here this year, though. Temps have been like a high of 11 C (51 F) for this entire month. Last year, I had tomato plants taller than me. This year, they won't even grow.

I use chopsticks to eat sushi & other Asian food when I eat out, but at home I usually cook with a large fork or a wooden spoon. I tried cooking with chopsticks a time or 2, but they were the small eating size. I had such a rough time with them I gave up & went back to my fork & spoon.
Regards, GF.

I still use a spatula to scrape sides and a spoon to serve, but chopsticks are more verstile, controllable, and precise than a spoon for most everything else.

On vay-cay and cured a nice sized rainbow trout "gravlax" style, except no dill. Pulled from the stream Thursday...consuming on a bagel this morning, less than a hundred yards from where it was caught. Cream cheese, onion and tomato. No capers and store is too far away, but pretty stunning anyway!

IMAG3222.jpg

IMAG3226.jpg

IMAG3230.jpg

Grilling a brined whole chicken and a head of cauliflower.

I slathered the cauliflower with some plain Greek yogurt and topped it with some Kosher salt and Garam Masala spice. We shall see if it's good. SWMBO had her doubts.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404001644.861135.jpg

My second breakfast after a relaxing brew day, this may be my favorite breakfast in the world! Huevos Rancheros, much more satisfying than the smoothie I had this morning, a HB on the side didn't hurt;)

That looks flippin' fantastic!

Second trout was coated in Italian bread crumbs and pan fried in half olive oil and half butter. In a vacation rental with a partially stocked pantry. For what I had to work with, this was fantastic!

IMAG3232.jpg

On vay-cay and cured a nice sized rainbow trout "gravlax" style, except no dill. Pulled from the stream Thursday...consuming on a bagel this morning, less than a hundred yards from where it was caught. Cream cheese, onion and tomato. No capers and store is too far away, but pretty stunning anyway!

Matt, care to share your gravlax recipe?
Regards, GF.

Matt, care to share your gravlax recipe?
Regards, GF.

Sure! You want to use 1 part salt to 2 parts sugar for the cure. I used about a cup total for my trout filets. If you were doing salmon or other, bigger filets, you just need to scale up. Use skin-on filets and lay them skin down. Generously coat them with the cure. If you have or can get fresh dill, that is traditionally added on top of the cure. (I was in a rental vacation house with a limited pantry. I just added some cracked pepper and a sprinkle of a steak seasoning blend for flavor. It was surprisingly good!) You can use other herbs or flavorings to your taste.

Sandwich the two filets together, flesh side to flesh side and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place on a tray with a lip or sides to contain liquids that will be drawn out. Top with another tray and add weight...like cans of food or a brick...whatever is handy. Refrigerate for 12 hours. Drain liquid and turn over the fish. Replace weighted tray and return to the refrigerator for another 12 hours. At this point, my trout was done...bigger filets, like salmon, may require another 24 hours, turning again after 12 hours.

Unwrap the filets and rinse under cold water. Discard any herbs. Pat dry with paper towels. To serve, slice thinly, on an angle. Store any leftovers tightly wrapped and put in a Ziploc bag. If you have a vacuum sealer, that's even better. Being cured, the filets should last awhile in the refrigerator; but mine are gone long before I have to worry about spoilage!

Back