What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody in warm climates growing veggies? My tomatoes are about to explode. I've got long chilis and habaneros coming up, too.

OK, OK don't rub it in.... My garden has been dead for a long time now....

I do have some Rosemary, thyme that is still alive but everything else is long done.

image.jpg1_zpsgzioqf2f.jpg

Gochujang braised beef short rib, sticky rice noodles, and roasted carrots. :mug:

How do you like your smoker? I have the same one and have major issues with temp swings.

It has been good to me so far. When it was 41° there was a touchy spot on the regulator. Just a little pressure on the dial to raise or lower the temp when it was at 265° could change the temp 5°+-. Decided a 5° to 10° temp range, below 290°, wasn't critical since the cooking time for these ribs was 5 hours.

I do have some Rosemary, thyme that is still alive but everything else is long done.

My rosemary, thyme, parsley, and chives are downstairs under a grow light. Just started some Swiss char in a pot also.

My rosemary, thyme, parsley, and chives are downstairs under a grow light. Just started some Swiss char in a pot also.

Our climate is such that certain kinds of Roesmary can last for years if we do not get a hard winter. I had a rosemary plant that got to be huge. Stem coming out of the ground was about 3-4 inches around. It got so big that I used hedge trimmers to cut it back, and it was still about 4' tall and about 4' around. Lasted 10-11 years,,,,, but last winter was tough and it did not make it. I was sad.

Our climate is such that certain kinds of Roesmary can last for years if we do not get a hard winter. I had a rosemary plant that got to be huge. Stem coming out of the ground was about 3-4 inches around. It got so big that I used hedge trimmers to cut it back, and it was still about 4' tall and about 4' around. Lasted 10-11 years,,,,, but last winter was tough and it did not make it. I was sad.

I was surprised with the lemon thyme we planted. It has been in the garden for four years and still spreading. Only four inches high. That is one tough shrub.

I was surprised with the lemon thyme we planted. It has been in the garden for four years and still spreading. Only four inches high. That is one tough shrub.

The thyme always comes back. I have a huge patch of thyme. Dies out in the winter but next spring it will be back. Same with the chives.

I lost a huge rosemary plant two years ago and it's replacement last year, I have a very large sage plant that's been around for a very long time.

And PP, suck it, you can't beat a Jersey tomato:p

Are you going to the fair? Scarborough Fair? Ok ok I know. Lame. Anyhoo, those might be two of my most favorite herbs. I grew rosemary last year, but it withered. not sure why. I make a rosemary bread that's about the best bread in the world I think.

And PP, suck it, you can't beat a Jersey tomato:p

That might be - we'll just have to wait and see. But they are coming in on all my plants right now, about 1" diameter, rows of them. I grew them from seed in august. I recently built a bunch of self-watering 5g pots and when they got in there they just burst.

I've got an onion & chive cheese in progress. Adding rennet in a few minutes. I plan on pressing this one, then cutting it up into blocks, soaking in an oatmeal stout I have on tap, then repressing for a really cool effect.

And, I made a 25g batch of German Pils this morning! Suck it Jersey!

Wow, had a lot of catching up here to do today - so many great pictures!

Is it just me, or anyone else not fond of an entire fish, head and fins and tail, on your dinner plate though?

I will stand next to KOTC in the surfline, bait my own hook, catch them fishies, I have been known to clean them myself - but I just don't care for the thing looking back at me from my dinner plate! LOL!

Is it just me, or anyone else not fond of an entire fish, head and fins and tail, on your dinner plate though?

I will stand next to KOTC in the surfline, bait my own hook, catch them fishies, I have been known to clean them myself - but I just don't care for the thing looking back at me from my dinner plate! LOL!

Best way - you can eat the cheeks. yummy. SWMBO will go for the eyes, too. I don't, they often get hard when baked or fried.

I used to have an issue with food looking at me (at 6 or so), but not anymore.

Cheap and easy but brought me back to my childhood growing up in the Bay Area...fried up some Petrale with some russets and shrimp. Kind of a mixed bag dinner but I'm full and happy! Wasn't on my plate long enough for a picture! :D

Best way - you can eat the cheeks. yummy. SWMBO will go for the eyes, too. I don't, they often get hard when baked or fried.

I used to have an issue with food looking at me (at 6 or so), but not anymore.

:cross: Now, I like me some halibut cheeks, or some pig cheeks, and hamachi kama is wonderful, but I really don't want to pick at somebody's face on my plate while they're still lookin' back at me, TYVM! :p

Good thing everyone is different, right?

:cross: Now, I like me some halibut cheeks, or some pig cheeks, and hamachi kama is wonderful, but I really don't want to pick at somebody's face on my plate while they're still lookin' back at me, TYVM! :p

Good thing everyone is different, right?

I don't want the face. I'm not eating it, why is it on my plate? If they are going to leave the lips and eyes, why do they even bother removing the organs?

I don't want the face. I'm not eating it, why is it on my plate? If they are going to leave the lips and eyes, why do they even bother removing the organs?

Ha... My FILs best friend goes out and hunts with him quite a bit (guy is originally from IL) but doesn't cook many birds. He takes one here and there.

Last year he smoked one and got us all stoked to try it. Really was delicious, ate it all as we sat on the veranda.

I'm drinking a beer and picking at bones when I look in the cavity and see all of the organs/intestines, everything. I asked who cleaned that bird...

'I did! Good wasn't it? First one.'

It was good. But yuck. Haha.

When you leave the fish whole, just scale it and remove the guts, it stays juicy when baked. And the crispy, salted skin is just out of this world tasty. I stuffed it with some greek oregano, thin lemon and lime slices. OMG...

Of course, my kids only eat fish that comes from the factory.

THANK you! :rockin:

When you leave the fish whole, just scale it and remove the guts, it stays juicy when baked. And the crispy, salted skin is just out of this world tasty. I stuffed it with some greek oregano, thin lemon and lime slices. OMG...

Of course, my kids only eat fish that comes from the factory.

I'll eat the skin. I just don't like looking at the head or the fins on my plate. I cut that stuff off before cooking.

The carrots and onions I pulled this weekend turned into a nice little carrot salad. I wanted most of it to stay raw, but I used two of the GF's refrigerator pickles for zing and some spices to round it out. The color turned out great. It is better today, and actually flavors will probably get better over a bit of time.

The rest of lunch is wild rice, pulled pork and the remainders of a bag of frozen broccoli.

20151207_120418-picsay.jpg

Man, I made a delicious egg drop soup with some of my stock for lunch... So freaking good. No pics didn't happen.

Seriously though, I love egg drop soup but can never get my eggs to come out all nice and stringy like the restaurants do.

Any experts in the house? I drizzle through a fork and stir. Am I stirring too much? Broth too hot?

I stir the broth pretty fast until I've got a good whirlpool going in there, then slowly pour in the beaten egg - seems to work reasonably well!

Maybe that's what I need to try... I was reading a bit and some folks add a bit of corn starch/broth slurry to the beaten eggs, I'm sure that might help it stick together a bit.

I just want those long whispy strips and clear broth.

Man, I made a delicious egg drop soup with some of my stock for lunch... So freaking good. No pics didn't happen.

Seriously though, I love egg drop soup but can never get my eggs to come out all nice and stringy like the restaurants do.

Any experts in the house? I drizzle through a fork and stir. Am I stirring too much? Broth too hot?

Could be both I recon. Very little stiring is required. Just a gentle movement in a whirlpool way. Also you probably don´t want a boil and rather go for a simmer. Eliminating all the disruptions.

I´d try reducing stiring and heat. If that does not do the trick I´d look at other possible causes.

I use a whisk. Whisk like mad and pour the egg straight into the hot soup.

It also helps to make sure the eggs are as homogeneous as possible. Room temp eggs, beat them, let them sit for a while, then beat them again.

I've never made egg drop soup. I wonder is the principle of getting the egg to say together similar to poaching an egg.

I put a tiny bit of white vinegar in the water and the poached eggs come out IMO perfectly. (1 glug of vinegar to 1 small pot of water)

Maybe vinegar (white rice vinegar or something else that might work in the soup) could acomplish the same for the egg droppings.

Anyone make their own snack bars?

We just got a great new food processor (first use was juliening those carrots) and the cabinet appears to have half a container of dates left from GF's plan of bacon wrapped dates for Thanksgiving.

I have....coconut flakes, almonds, dates, cocoa powder, and oats as recipe candidates.

(Now I am also wondering about the sweet potatoes from previous post as interesting flavor in a snack bar.)

Back