What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever smoke beef heart?

We have been trying to cook beef heart a couple times, but I found some smoked slices at a local butcher shop and, wow, both of us liked it, the GF ate most of it, and she really turns her nose up at gamey foods.

sorry...edit...so would anyone know how to do this?

Smoked half a brisket flat. It was a lesser grade of meat as I'm still trying to get used to a new Kamado from an old metal/gas smoker. The old smoker, I had to pour on a ton of smoking chips to get a good smoke ring/flavor. The new smoker, wood chunks need to be used sparingly as the high moisture in the smoker imparts MUCH more smoke in the meat.

I was pleased with how the last attempt turned out. It wasn't as tender as I would have liked but I blame that on the lesser cut of meat. It was a big improvement over the first attempt in which I used several wood chunks, like I was used to with the older smoker, and the first half of the brisket was so over smoked, taking a bite was like smoking cigarettes. I'll get the hang of it yet...

:mug:

AND.....

My smoker is toast.

Plugged it in and it lit up like my welder. I tried to make an emergency repair on the cord, but the element looks to be rusted through where it passes through the bottom plate. Looks like I'm window shopping for a new one.

I did peel the skin off that tongue, and I almost took a taste, but it was cold. Nobody likes cold tongue.

AND.....

My smoker is toast.

Plugged it in and it lit up like my welder. I tried to make an emergency repair on the cord, but the element looks to be rusted through where it passes through the bottom plate. Looks like I'm window shopping for a new one.

I did peel the skin off that tongue, and I almost took a taste, but it was cold. Nobody likes cold tongue.

If its DRT (Dead Right There) just load the bottom up with some charcoal and make it into a temporary charcoal smoker. Rig something up, make due. Sounds like you have given up on the current smoker.

Hey Melana,
Making cheese is fun and not hard at all except for finding fresh unpasteurized milk. There used to be a farm in Bridgewater who would sells raw milk but they sold off the cows and retired. Now one else local that I've found. It's a pain in the arse to drive an hour for milk.

Man, that is looking good. From where do you get the sheep's milk?

It's blue cheese made from normal pastuerized cow milk. It's the Stilton Blue recipe straight out of my cheese book. I have no idea why I thought I made roquefort last night... there might have been alcohol involved :)

We do have a farmer's market here with a guy that sells bulk goat milk. If I ever get some of that, I'm going to do the roquefort.

Ohhhh, making cheese...one of the things I so need to get into. And then got the Mikkeller route and add beer and hops. That approach does not always work out, but a Porter Cheddar is great, and a blue cheese with a touch of something like Simcoe...you see where I am going with this.

Meanwhile I am feeling the end of the month as a student and just did a classic feel good stew of white & green beans with potato, garlic, onion, lot of fresh rosemary, a touch of ghost chilli, and most importantly a great hit of majoran and summer savory.
Again nothing much to look at, those come with december I hope, but just a simple joy to go with the first snow round here.

Ohhhh, making cheese...one of the things I so need to get into. And then got the Mikkeller route and add beer and hops. That approach does not always work out, but a Porter Cheddar is great, and a blue cheese with a touch of something like Simcoe...you see where I am going with this.

Meanwhile I am feeling the end of the month as a student and just did a classic feel good stew of white & green beans with potato, garlic, onion, lot of fresh rosemary, a touch of ghost chilli, and most importantly a great hit of majoran and summer savory.
Again nothing much to look at, those come with december I hope, but just a simple joy to go with the first snow round here.

Sounds great. You gonna leave us hanging like that. Make with the usual amazing pictures. Come on.

gob-bluth.gif

So milk for cheese making must be unpasteurized?

No. Raw milk is much better for cheesemaking, but it's also hard to come by. In fact, I think it's illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption. I make cheese with pasteurized milk. The only adjustment needed is to add calcium, which is destroyed in the pasteurization process. You can find non-homogenized milk though. The cream is at the top of those containers.

It's blue cheese made from normal pastuerized cow milk. It's the Stilton Blue recipe straight out of my cheese book. I have no idea why I thought I made roquefort last night... there might have been alcohol involved :)

We do have a farmer's market here with a guy that sells bulk goat milk. If I ever get some of that, I'm going to do the roquefort.

Except that goat's milk isn't used at all in making roquefort - it's entirely made from sheep's milk. But keep on with the alcohol ;-)

With goat's milk, you could make some good feta cheese. Then again, since you live near a Greek area, you can probably also buy good feta cheese.

So milk for cheese making must be unpasteurized?

No, but the flavor is like a thousand times better. Next time you visit Europe, make sure and buy a piece of "Brie de Meaux" from a supermarket or something and eat it in your hotel room with a bottle of red wine. You will never again appreciate a pasteurised brie.

Except that goat's milk isn't used at all in making roquefort - it's entirely made from sheep's milk. But keep on with the alcohol ;-)

With goat's milk, you could make some good feta cheese. Then again, since you live near a Greek area, you can probably also buy good feta cheese.

I make feta. From goose milk. Sue me.

No, but the flavor is like a thousand times better. Next time you visit Europe, make sure and buy a piece of "Brie de Meaux" from a supermarket or something and eat it in your hotel room with a bottle of red wine. You will never again appreciate a pasteurised brie.

And a baguette and a couple of figs man I'm there.

You get real gruyere cheese in the USA, or is it something made in USA that is labeled gruyere?

Parmesan (the word can not be legally used to name a cheese unless it comes from the Parma region of Italy and has been aged for at least one year, among other criteria), has a much sharper taste than Gruyere so I'm a bit confused how you would tone down the taste of Gruyere by mixing it with Parmesan.

I don't know what you consider expensive, but all of "the real deal" cheese is expensive in Europe.

Prices what I usually see, in Euros per kilogram:

Gruyere: 22-30
Parmesan: 22-40
Roquefort: 30-35
Brie de Meaux: 25-40
Blue Stilton: 20-30
Gouda: 20-30

I just bought a 2 year old Gouda the other day and man, the taste is mindblowing. Got some Blue Stilton in the fridge as well, waiting to go into an omelette when SWMBO wakes up ;-)

Umm, Roquefort turns green, not blue ;-)

I don't think I've yet seen trolling at this level of technical exactitude before. Please don't continue with this nonsense. Pictures of your delicious Finnish culinary creations would be most welcome.

I know it's getting dark and cold up there this time of year but really come on man. Do better. This is a fun thread. Take it easy.

It has been a bit chilly here in soda city the last few days, so I put together a pot of pho. I'll admit, this needs some green (basil would be great) but it was AWFULLY tasty.

Boiled some beef bones a few days ago and kept it in the fridge to make it easier to skim off the fat. The next day, I boiled a 2 lb hunk of brisket in it to give it more beefiness and to cook the meat. That broth went back into the fridge for fat skimming. Yesterday, I charred an onion and some slices of ginger in the oven, and some star anise and a cinnamon stick in a dry pan. That all went in with beef bullion cubes (mostly for salt content, partly for more beefiness) for about 3 hours in the evening. When it was ready, The spices came out and the chopped brisket from the day before went back in, along with some fish sauce and some rock candy.

Served on some rice noodles with some precooked brisket and some thin slices of raw brisket, which was cooked almost immediately in the hot broth. Topped with Hoisun, Srirracha, a Serrano pepper, and some fresh lime juice.

If there's a more satisfying meal on a cold night, I don't know what it is.

pho.jpg

It has been a bit chilly here in soda city the last few days, so I put together a pot of pho. I'll admit, this needs some green (basil would be great) but it was AWFULLY tasty.

Boiled some beef bones a few days ago and kept it in the fridge to make it easier to skim off the fat. The next day, I boiled a 2 lb hunk of brisket in it to give it more beefiness and to cook the meat. That broth went back into the fridge for fat skimming. Yesterday, I charred an onion and some slices of ginger in the oven, and some star anise and a cinnamon stick in a dry pan. That all went in with beef bullion cubes (mostly for salt content, partly for more beefiness) for about 3 hours in the evening. When it was ready, The spices came out and the chopped brisket from the day before went back in, along with some fish sauce and some rock candy.

Served on some rice noodles with some precooked brisket and some thin slices of raw brisket, which was cooked almost immediately in the hot broth. Topped with Hoisun, Srirracha, a Serrano pepper, and some fresh lime juice.

If there's a more satisfying meal on a cold night, I don't know what it is.

I was thinking about making pho last week. You have a pretty simple recipe there, although it takes multiple days! I prefer pho ga, and at home that's what we usually make because we have one kid that only eats chicken.

I was thinking about making pho last week. You have a pretty simple recipe there, although it takes multiple days! I prefer pho ga, and at home that's what we usually make because we have one kid that only eats chicken.

I've done it in an evening, but it's way easier and more efficient to skim fat when it's cold. I might try forgetting about the beef bones entirely next time and just use the brisket and bullion to see if it's worth the hassle of using bones.

If its DRT (Dead Right There) just load the bottom up with some charcoal and make it into a temporary charcoal smoker. Rig something up, make due. Sounds like you have given up on the current smoker.

I bought it for $10 at a yard sale years ago. I'm not really attached to it.

I could buy a new element for about $40, but at this time I'm looking at new options. If I can find one that's easier to work with for a low price I'll put it on my Xmas list.

And after I got back to work from lunch I remembered I actually have a heating element inside a ceramic dish. Was some kind of electric hotplate I bought at a yard sale. I *could* have placed that inside the smoker and laid the chip pan right on top of it.

I'm hoping to get out of work early today and rig that up. I've got the tongue wrapped in bacon in anticipation of smoking/roasting.

My wife seems excited. All she really knows is that I'm doing an experiment that involves bacon and my smoker. LOL!

Last night I pulled the "Giblets" out of the turkey and ran some lukewarm water over and inside of it to help it thaw faster, then I put it back in the fridge to thaw more.

I cut up a couple of potatoes, the giblets, threw in some baby carrots and tossed with some salt, pepper, and Belgian Wit Seasonings, and microwaved it. It cooked too long, so some things were slightly shriveled, but actually really tasty. (Except the liver. I'm not a fan. I could eat it if I were starving, but that's about it.)

I like that technique enough to do it again with fresh chicken and keeping a closer eye on the cook times. Maybe add a bit of oil or butter too.

Talking about raw, unpasteurized milk got me thinking about my pregnant wife and had to hit the googles.

Yep, breast milk cheese is a thing. Don't think I'll go down that rabbit hole though.

I make feta. From goose milk. Sue me.

I'd pay good money to watch you milking them.

Funny story about French bread and cheese. We were there a few years ago and bought a baguette and some cheese at a little corner market. Took it upstairs and that bread was literally the best thing I have ever eaten. Somehow it all disappeared while she was taking a shower. She was not amused.

You'd think I would be cooking and prepping for the holiday turkey dinner, but right now I'm cooking BIGOS, POLISH HUNTER’S STEW in a crock pot. Maybe later I'll use that pumpkin I cooked to make pie.:) clearing the home made krout from the fridge to make way for a new batch.

image.jpg

I don't think I've yet seen trolling at this level of technical exactitude before. Please don't continue with this nonsense. Pictures of your delicious Finnish culinary creations would be most welcome.

I know it's getting dark and cold up there this time of year but really come on man. Do better. This is a fun thread. Take it easy.

Not really seeking approval from you... I've been posting pictures to this thread before you ever thought about joining this forum.

That said, I agree, this is a fun thread. I'm into the technical aspects of cheese, so perhaps those are better suited to the cheese making forum. Just as the technical aspects of beer making are suited to the beer forums.

You may carry on.

Back