What "crap beer" do you secretly enjoy ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's no secret... I go through one of these a week:

0001820086031_500X500.jpg

I'm thinking that I don't mind Ballantine IPA all that much. I may go and buy a rack tomorrow.

I don't know that I'd call it 'crap' and I don't really enjoy them in 'secret' but, I do dig a six pack of rolling rock tall boys every now and then!

I shouldn't have gotten rid of my Rolling Rock bottles. I was using them for my redneck Christmas tree. :smack: Anyway, here's an interesting one. The other night, I was starting on some old Milwaukee premium & some vodka after writing all day. I drank the beer out of the can as I watched the first episode of The Invaders. This was one of those times where it tastes better out of the can. In a glass, it tastes like it has too much crystal malt in it for my liking.

I think enjoyment is directly proportional to how long I have been sober regardless of beer variety.

I still love to grab an ice cold lager from time to time. For those that don't need me to say Yuengling, you probably are right there with me.

PBR is another good one, and how about a Stroh's.

Harbin Wheat in the gold can from China's oldest beer brewery. It's the cream of the crap, to be sure, but among the domestic Chinese water-beers that go great ice cold with hotpot and spicy food and nothing else (aka "among domestic Chinese beers"), it's the only one I'll pick over any other.

PBR is quite good, and it's what I take when I go camping. But when I can find it, Stroh's is my go-to. But there's always a back-story. I was helping remove the main sail of a sailboat in August in South Mississippi (you know, 100*F). After about 45 minutes of sweating (and losing 5 lbs), one of the guys goes to his truck, pulls out a cooler, and offers me a beer that I'd never had before. An ice cold Stroh's. It was (and to this day, still is) the most delicious beer I've ever had. It was the circumstance, no doubt; however, I still attach that feeling to the beer, and it's always delicious ice cold when it goes down!

SP1012_1.JPG

I noticed the new Stroh's recipe is a bit different than the older one. The newer one tastes to me like they use dry & wet hopping? Maybe different hops too, as it has a bigger herbal/floral hit to it to me? But some cold Stroh's was always a favorite to pop & I. I still have a bronze belt buckle laying someplace that looks like the old Stroh's label.

One thing that I think is fun about being a community of craft beer enthusiasts and homebrewers is that we all still seem to have preferences when it comes to the different BMC offerings. We all sit around agreeing that this IPA and that bourbon barrel porter are great (not that we don't have strong opinions in this area too, but there's plenty of consensus), but put us in a situation where it's only BMC and suddenly you've got factions of people who like Coors but not Bud, Miller lite but not PBR, etc. It's a quirk of ours -- we're even connoisseurs when it comes to the "crappy" stuff, and I love us for it.

That said, I like a cold Budweiser or Bud Light in the summer, but can't stand Miller anything. I also saw someone else on here mention Tiger. I love that stuff.

Michelob is pretty good, but has gotten *very* hard to find -- probably an inBev thing. (not "Golden Draft" or "Ultra" or anything like that, just plain ol' Michelob)

Old Style. I actually think the krausening makes a huge difference. Great beer for the train ride home from work

logo.png

Old Style. I actually think the krausening makes a huge difference. Great beer for the train ride home from work

+1
I've downed more than a few Old Styles at Wrigley..

Plenty of people drink on the L, not just bums!

Dang, I thought it at least was still imported. WTF? :D:drunk:

Damn...looks like it just happened in 2012. I wonder if it tastes the same! It was what got my dad out of BMC, lol, a step in the right direction. Now he loves IPAs and Stouts. Silly guy.

I lied earlier...I'm drinking Modelo Especial right now. $2.00 or less per 16 oz can FTW when I'm doing a late-night grocery run with no stock at home!

Someone said Yuengling. I understand that. I also understand Pabst.

In the darkest of days, I have even been glad to have a Colt. If it was the firearm, I would hold my head high. Unfortunately, is was one made from fermentation as opposed to forging.

For some reason I'm craving a big green bottle of Rolling Rock. I wont go buy any, just odd that suddenly I really want some.

Back