What coupler type is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javert

Reaction score
Got handled a flash chiller system with a pair of couplers which I assumed they were D, but upon inspection didn't know what type they are:

Coupler.jpg

Those two ridges suggest it could be an S type but since the whole system belonged to Modelo that sounds weird.

An S-type coupler looks very close (borderline identical) to a D-type coupler. The principal difference is that an S-type has a longer probe. Since it looks like (though photos from other angles with coupler engaged and disengaged would be better) the probe is sitting flush with the coupler body I'm pretty sure it's D-type. I'm not 100% but fairly confident (would have to look it up to be 100% sure) that an S-type will have the probe stick out slightly below the coupler body, even when disengaged.

Upon further inspection turned out to be a regular D type. As explained by Qhrumphf, the probe is shorter and has a "claw" shape instead of the longer rectangular shape of the S. Thank you guys for the input.

I'm still skeptical of the flash chiller (like these https://www.beveragefactory.com/dra...aftbeer/dispensers/flash-chillers/index.shtml but older). It's quite noisy when it's cooling down to 3 - 4 °C, consumes energy like a wire heater, and has those long coils of a jockey box that seems to be a pain to clean through and emtpy of beer but gotta admit it's handy for fairs. Would rather have a kegerator for regular work on premises.

Back