What causes low SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixpack

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch tonight and the SG was 1.026 but was supposed to be 1.042-1.046. I don't know of anything I did wrong, everything went well. What could cause this and should I be concerned? Just a medium ale kit from Midwest. (Excelsior Altbier).

If this is an extract kit, 95% chance you didn't stir it enough. People hear so much about oxidation that they are afraid to mix the wort before pitching. This is the one time you can't flog it too much. More oxygen means more and stronger yeast.

BUT, if you put all of the extract in the fermenter, the yeast will find it. They are very good at what they do.

To help you, we'll need an ingredients list.

What can sometimes happen is that when you take your reading, the beer isn't well mixed and it's possible you took a reading of wort that didn't have the sugars evenly distributed in it.

david_42 said:
If this is an extract kit, 95% chance you didn't stir it enough.

This has been happening countless times over the past couple of weeks. Just try to remember if you did or did not stir the wort in after you added the water. If you didn't stir then it shouldn't be a problem. If you did stir ... i don't know where that reading would come from :cross:

Thanks for the replies. It was at about 75F and I did not stir it, so that is probably the reason. Its is fermenting very well right now so I'm sure it will be fine.

Back