What category to enter IPL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven1469

Reaction score
I'm about to enter my IPL into a local IPA competition, but I don't what BJCP style to list it as. Should I put it as a normal IPA (21A), or Specialty IPA (21B)? I'm thinking normal IPA category but just not sure.

I have no clue. I searched their guidelines from 2015 but it didn't mention IPL under IPA or the specialty category. I'm assuming just IPA since you went the lager route. Their is an International Pale Lager category though. Check out their guidelines here:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

I am thinking the same thing. Just enter it as a normal IPA.

If it's an IPA comp, just enter it as a regular IPA. I put mine in the NHC in the experimental category.

Depending on the flavor and aroma, why not category 2A? Read the description, and see if it fits? Or if you have time, and know a local judge, maybe have them try it and see what they think?

The stats for a beer in 2A are:

OG: 1.042 – 1.050
IBUs: 18 – 25
FG: 1.008 – 1.012
SRM: 2 – 6
ABV: 4.6 – 6.0%

You can see that the IBU maxes out at 25, which would be an extremely poor fit for an IPA. Also from the descriptors, "A highly-attenuated pale lager without strong flavors".

To OP, why not enter it in both 21A and 21B?

An IPL is a "mixed style" beer. It won't be an IPA, as it's not an IPA. If it's an IPA only competition (sounds like it is), then I guess it'd have to be entered as an IPA. But for a BJCP competition, it's a mixed style with the stated style(s).

I contacted them and they said to enter as a Specialty IPA and declare it as a IPL. It is a local IPA festival, but they said they will accept an IPL as well.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions!

Back