What category should I put this in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krebs119

Reaction score
Hello all... looking for some advice....

Yesterday I brewed essentially a Black Witbier. Basically a fairly typical Wit, but with cold steeped carafa added to turn it black. It looks pretty good so far.

It was a take on this recipe if you are interested: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/the-bruerys-black-orchard-wit/

I'm debating what category to place this in. Having not tasted it yet, I know I can't really decide, but assuming it tastes like a Wit, but looks like a Schwartz/Porter/Stout, I'm a bit puzzled.

I'm looking at 34B - Mixed Style Beer. It says the entrant must specify the styles being mixed. Obviously Wit is one, but porter? stout? schwartz? Something else? I haven't ever entered in the 34B category, so any advice is appreciated :mug:

I would think either 34A or 34C. Would be better choices.

Maybe go with clone beer if you know your beer tastes like The Bruery's and you are entering a competition where you think the judges will be familiar with that beer.

34C experimental may be better since you will be able to describe what you were trying to do.

You really need to taste it first.

Thanks. I don't think clone beer would work for me - you can't get The Bruery's stuff anywhere near here, and to my knowledge, there aren't many (any?) other breweries available making a black wit. I'm looking forward to tasting it.

+1 what NTex indicated, I'd go 34A or C. Don't be afraid to enter it as a clone, even if judges aren't familiar with it. Per the guidelines,

"The entrant Must Specify the name of the commercial beer being cloned, specifications (vital statistics) for the beer, and either a brief sensory description or a list of ingredients used in making the beer. Without this information, judges who are unfamiliar with the beer have no basis for comparison."

Long story short, if you give them some basic info, they should be able to judge it regardless of whether or not they're familiar with the commercial example. Bruery beers aren't distributed here either, but I took a silver medal with my Sour in the Rye clone in a local comp. I'd steer clear of 34B Mixed Style unless it really is apparent that you're blending two or more styles. The expectation there is it's a marrying of the styles, so you should be able to pick up some of the key characteristics of each style in the beer.

Back