What can I use this for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am a sucker for picking up 3 or 4 oz of every new hop the LHBS gets. I keep all the big boys around in bulk, but have a growing collection of hops by the ounce.

Short of searching each hop in the recipe forum, is there a place to look and see what some of the lesser known hops are used in? I don't really want to SMASH each hop, as I usually only get 3-4 ounces.

I have the subsitution charts, but rarely see stuff like:

Phoenix
Horizon
Rwaka
Santiam
Pallisade
Brambling Cross
WGV
Cluster
Apollo
Bullion
Sapir
Yakima Gold

Anybody?

I've heard the Rawaka is very good just by itself for flavoring and aroma. I'd do a SMaSH with at least that one.
Check the SMaSH enthusiast group andsee if anyone has used those and described profiles.

Wonder how many of those are in the same bunch as Columbus/Tomahawk/Zues?

Identical plants, different soil, copyrighted names and all. Haven't heard of many of them either.

Soper,

thats exactly what Iwas gonna do unless I could find a home for all of them

32 varities in the freezer right now. I dont need 32 choices.

Found this on byo Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Comparing and Selecting Hops It may not be exactly what you're looking for but the style drop down at the top at least gives you an idea of what types of beer each hop variety can be used in.

Found this on byo Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Comparing and Selecting Hops It may not be exactly what you're looking for but the style drop down at the top at least gives you an idea of what types of beer each hop variety can be used in.

Thats exactly what Im looking for.

THANKS!

That's really great! Thanks!

I'll just say that I used bramling cross in an oatmeal stout and was really impressed with how it turned out.

the riwaka is really popular down under. I would do an APA style beer with it.

Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Jade seem to be popular to.

I've heard the Rawaka is very good just by itself for flavoring and aroma. I'd do a SMaSH with at least that one.
Check the SMaSH enthusiast group andsee if anyone has used those and described profiles.

the riwaka is really popular down under. I would do an APA style beer with it.

++1. I had an all Riwaka APA up at Rebel Brewer the last time that I was there and it was excellent. As IP points out, great for bittering and aroma - a very balanced hop.

My go-to all purpose clean bittering hop, though it's getting harder to come by so I'll probably switch to magnum. Flavor and aroma, it's similar to Warrior.

Austin Homebrew has a KILLER Rwaka Red ale recipe. If you call them up and ask for the recipe they'll give it to you over the phone.

American Light Lager! Yeah baby!!

Yakima Gold

There are domestic EKG. I use them because they are cheaper than real EKG.

I use Phoenix all the time. Its a sub for Northern Brewer and my LHBS started picking them up during the shortage. I use it for bittering iin a lot of my beers - porters, stouts, brown ales, APAs...

Back