What can I make from arrogant clone ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an extract clone kit for arrogant bastard and now it just does not appeal to me. What would be a good way to use many of these ingredients? Maybe do two different recipes as 3 gallon batches?

I also have a few pounds of 2 row, plus half a pound each of cara pills, Carmel 10L and Vienna on hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190601-203224.png
    Screenshot_20190601-203224.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 120
For the Amber LME/DME, Briess has a recipe database (http://brewingwithbriess.com/Recipes/).

Brewers Friend (and likely other online recipe web sites) has the ability to search for recipes based on an ingredient.

Assuming the ingredients are fresh and properly packaged, store them appropriately. You would then have up to six months (milled grains, LME) to a year or more (hops, DME) to brew with them.

What don’t you like? The malt profile or the hop profile. It wouldn’t take much to tweak this.

You can ditch 4 or 5 oz of the hops and brew an amber or brown (with very little additional/substitution to your steeping grains).

Sub out the yeast and do something fun with a lot of character.

Add 4-6 oz of simcoe and 4-6 oz of Amarillo and brew an awesome red IPA.

I am just not feeling like drinking such a hop intensive beer. Have not used Chinook hops so do not know what to expect. The grains are not milled yet, the malt extracts and grains are being kept in my repurposed wardrobe at approx 65. The liquid yeast and hops in the fridge. With summer here a brown or an Amber would be tasty.

So, knowing that, if I were you this is how I’d proceed:

.5-.75oz chinook for bittering, .25-.5 with 5-10 minutes remaining and make a tasty amber ale.

I’d also put the hops you don’t plan to use in the freezer.

So, knowing that, if I were you this is how I’d proceed:

.5-.75oz chinook for bittering, .25-.5 with 5-10 minutes remaining and make a tasty amber ale.

I’d also put the hops you don’t plan to use in the freezer.
Dang this actually has me thinking yum

Since it is extract what if I did a 45 minute boil,
.75 ounce Chinook at 45
.5 ounce at 10

I still have home grown nugget and Willamette to use so maybe an ounce of one of them at flameout or whirlpool for aroma/flavor?

Thank you for all the suggestions.

A 45 minute boil works. I’d adjust the bittering hops to meet your IBU desire, if that’s .75, then perfect.

I haven’t paired willamette or nugget with chinook but I think they’d play nice together.

Let us know when you settle on a recipe and how it turns out

Turned out great, bottle conditioning now but my 8 ounce samp!e glass was good with the residual fermentation co2. At this point it has a nice almost nut brown ale flavor. If it gets that Little bite from carbing it should be just right.

6# amber lme
1.5# Viking pilsner
1# special B
4 oz Aromatic
4 oz carapils
Mashed at 152 for 45 minutes

.5 oz Chinook at 45
.5 oz Chinook at 10
1 oz home grown Willamette 170 whirlpool for 15
Nottingham yeast
In the primary for 4.5 weeks, my how it was clear.

And is around 4.9%.

Last edited:
Back