What can I do with this tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarawa

Reaction score
I am new to brewing but my son gave me this tank. It was used once by a friend to make some sort of adult beverage, but I am not sure what. I am cleaning it up now.
The specs are that it is about 12" in diameter and 40" tall. Heavy duty stainless steel. 20 gallon capacity. It has a side port thermowell. I am thinking about a fermentation tank. Any thoughts?

beer.jpg

I know what you could use it for but I wont say lol:mug:

I would make it a boil kettle or fermenter though, it should be air tight..

It has a valve on the bottom. It started out a brand new never used commercial filter housing and is definately air-tight. I believe that I will use it as a fermenter.

Valve on the bottom, air tight, definitely a secondary fermenter. You could let it the beer naturally carb in it and serve right from it. As a Primary you would need some way for the CO2 to escape.

Good luck,
Martin

Martin,
My wife purchased my supplies for father's day and my son delivered this to me. All I have to do is get started. Is there a way to use this tank for both primary and secondary? Have an airlock on top that could be shut off? I would still want to bottle my beer. By the way, I am practically your neighbor...in Loxahatchee.

MonsterMash is the guy who uses pool filters for Fermenters. You can look him up and get his details.

Tarawa,
Welcome to brewing! I did not see the airlock on top. I guess I missed that. The only thing you would have to do to use as a Primary is figure out how to attaché some sort of bubbler to that air lock. Open the air lock up, attach bubbler, and ferment away. WE are not far apart. Come to the next PBD meeting at Due south.
Martin

If you install a port in the lid, you can add a tee with pressure gauge and variable pressure relief valve. Is the bottom flat, curved or conical?

There is a side port directly below the top rim. This should keep me from drilling the top dome. The bottom is rounded like the top dome. Can you both primary and secondary ferment in the same tank by draining out the yeast from the bottom?

You don't need a secondary. I ferment in Sanke's with a variable pressure relief like Bobby suggested. That is the way to go. It's nice to have some way to pressurize the tank as well for transferring. You should check out the Sanke fermenter threads. With the removable lid, that thing is perfect for pressurized fermentation.

Where do I get a variable pressure relief that is suitable for brewing? i want to stay with all stainless steel if possible.

Mcmaster.com has a very inexpensive one in brass and since it won't be in contact with wort at all, there's no reason to fret about the brass. I'd come off that top side port with a tee, then a ball valve on one port for use with a blowoff for the initial ferment. Then the other top port of the tee, tee off again with one port going to a pressure gauge and the other to your variable pressure valve. You'd typically let the primary run about half way, close the valve and dial in the pressure.

I think that I ordered everything that I need. Wish me luck.

I picked up another tank at a local thrift store. $10.00! I guess living near the tank manufacturer has its benefits. Needs a little cleaning and some ports welded on. It has two 1.5" outlets on the bottom. Measurements on the tank is about 12" dia. x 24" tall

harms.jpg

Latest posts

Back