What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
43028AD5-2C5E-4CCF-ADA2-FA1FE79248A9.jpeg
Not a mail delivery but still applies I believe. A very good friend of mine in our brew club dropped off these beers the other night. He knows it’s been hard for me to get to some of the releases during the week b/c my wife and I are still working and having to homeschool our daughters too.
The far left can is a Prison City Brewing collaboration IPA, followed by four OH beers and the bottle is a stout from Mortalis (Zuul I believe).

86DA9D77-7252-4F45-8607-D57E566353B6.jpeg

This did arrive in the mail. I’ve been wanting to try their beers but haven’t made the almost 2 hour drive but for $10 shipping, I couldn’t resist. I was just waiting for the All Together collaboration to become available to make one order. Bottles in the cellar and cans are chilling!

OK, I'm interested in trying this. Do you know what the recommended pitching rate is on a typical 5 gallon batch? Would it be better to under-pitch it (like liquid Kveik) for a neipa style beer?
I’ve not much experience with Kveik yet. I’ve used Omega hot head and White labs Opshaugh (sp?). Hothead is said to give more character with a small pitch and high temp Voss apparently ferments cleanly. Opshaugh had an incredibly well compacted yeast cake undisturbed when I accidentally crashed my siphon down into it. Here’s what the site says, I hope that helps.
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/TDS_LPS_BREWINGYEAST_VOSS_ENG_8.5x11.pdf

Anyone having any issues with some online retailers being exceptionally slow with shipping things out, and seemingly using the "Covid" excuse? I just ordered multiple things from multiple retailers last week on the same day. 2 of them have already been delivered, one took 3 days to ship (not including weekend, so 5 days total), which all seems really great customer service wise, yet one retailer still hasnt shipped my order, which was processed exactly a week ago. I emailed them asking whats going on, as its a prepackaged box that is shipped as is, not something thats non boxed that requires extra care packaging, and processing, and they responded really passive aggressively.

Anyone having any issues with some online retailers being exceptionally slow with shipping things out, and seemingly using the "Covid" excuse? I just ordered multiple things from multiple retailers last week on the same day. 2 of them have already been delivered, one took 3 days to ship (not including weekend, so 5 days total), which all seems really great customer service wise, yet one retailer still hasnt shipped my order, which was processed exactly a week ago. I emailed them asking whats going on, as its a prepackaged box that is shipped as is, not something thats non boxed that requires extra care packaging, and processing, and they responded really passive aggressively.
I’m experiencing similar issues. I’ve placed a few orders from 3 different online suppliers and received most of them in a similar timeframe as I had pre-Covid. I’m going on 8 business days now since placing an order from one of them who happens to have multiple warehouses across the country. One shipment was picked and shipped in a couple of days and the other is still “processing: in warehouse, not picked”. Fortunately it’s nothing I need right away, I was just stocking up on some ingredients.

I'm seeing the same thing with Amazon. They started out saying shipments were going to be delayed because they were going to prioritize 'necessaries' but I found disposable gloves, in stock, that they wouldn't ship for 3 weeks. I think 'prioritizing' is just code for 'we are so screwed'.

I’m experiencing similar issues. I’ve placed a few orders from 3 different online suppliers and received most of them in a similar timeframe as I had pre-Covid. I’m going on 8 business days now since placing an order from one of them who happens to have multiple warehouses across the country. One shipment was picked and shipped in a couple of days and the other is still “processing: in warehouse, not picked”. Fortunately it’s nothing I need right away, I was just stocking up on some ingredients.
Wonder if its from the same online company. They also mention their home location, but distribute from multiple warehouses around the country. Their covid on their site says orders may be delayed a couple days, where as they normally ship within a day, but i'm on day 7 still waiting.

I'm seeing the same thing with Amazon. They started out saying shipments were going to be delayed because they were going to prioritize 'necessaries' but I found disposable gloves, in stock, that they wouldn't ship for 3 weeks. I think 'prioritizing' is just code for 'we are so screwed'.
I've had the opposite experience with Amazon. I'm still ordering some brewing stuff from amazon prime and they'll say a week, but i tend to get things in under that

I’ve not much experience with Kveik yet. I’ve used Omega hot head and White labs Opshaugh (sp?). Hothead is said to give more character with a small pitch and high temp Voss apparently ferments cleanly. Opshaugh had an incredibly well compacted yeast cake undisturbed when I accidentally crashed my siphon down into it. Here’s what the site says, I hope that helps.
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/TDS_LPS_BREWINGYEAST_VOSS_ENG_8.5x11.pdf
H2bM, here's a David Heath video with some info on this yeast. I'd forgotten that I watched this a couple months ago.

To be fair - the prepackaged thing isn't going to change much if it's #300 in their pick list. If it's anything like the UK, it's a mix of homebrew retailers being swamped (like 10x the orders in some cases), fewer staff (due to self-isolation because they're a vulnerable group or have symptoms, or having to care for children or sick relatives), social distancing in the warehouse disrupting an efficient workflow and it can get worse once it gets in that hands of certain couriers - some next day couriers have been quoting "sometime in the next week" which is obviously not ideal for liquid yeast - and completely out of the hands of the retailer. Most of our homebrew retailers stopped taking orders for a week or so soon after lockdown was declared, just to catch up on all the flood of orders they'd received, then they opened either in small windows during the day, or eg not selling custom amounts of ingredients (which takes more time than pre-packed)

The whole system has been under immense strain, and some retailers have been coping better than others - not necessarily their fault, they generally have small teams and some may have been hit particularly hard by staff self-isolating. So be kind - accept that these are not normal times and accept that they are trying their best, you don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

To be fair - the prepackaged thing isn't going to change much if it's #300 in their pick list. If it's anything like the UK, it's a mix of homebrew retailers being swamped (like 10x the orders in some cases), fewer staff (due to self-isolation because they're a vulnerable group or have symptoms, or having to care for children or sick relatives), social distancing in the warehouse disrupting an efficient workflow and it can get worse once it gets in that hands of certain couriers - some next day couriers have been quoting "sometime in the next week" which is obviously not ideal for liquid yeast - and completely out of the hands of the retailer. Most of our homebrew retailers stopped taking orders for a week or so soon after lockdown was declared, just to catch up on all the flood of orders they'd received, then they opened either in small windows during the day, or eg not selling custom amounts of ingredients (which takes more time than pre-packed)

The whole system has been under immense strain, and some retailers have been coping better than others - not necessarily their fault, they generally have small teams and some may have been hit particularly hard by staff self-isolating. So be kind - accept that these are not normal times and accept that they are trying their best, you don't know what's going on behind the scenes.
I totally understand and respect that. And certain online retailers (such as Northern Brewer which has been fantastic with communication), have been responsible during all of this, and have been realistic with customers, just like a good portion of local businesses have been here where i live during quarantine. There are still outliers however who understand there are delays, but just arent realistic with them. Instead of saying "in this extraordinary time, shipments can be delayed up to a week or more" they're holding fast to "delayed a couple days", and then customers are finding their orders just staying without updates weeks later. ANd when the customers inquire, they're met with either silence, or sarcastic responses. Same goes for certain businesses here in my area, continuing on like its business as usual with no communication with its members just avoiding any awkward conversations. I'm a firm believer in being realistic with your customers, even if its something they don't want to hear. I work in sales, and i'm responsible for not only the sale, but the expectation after the sale to ensure its realistic and preserves the opportunity for repeat business. Downplaying or avoiding the current situation and then being snappy back at a customer when the customer calls them out on it, makes things worse.

I just kegged my first batch with my All Rounder and was very pleased with how it performed. I will probably buy another so I can pressure transfer off my yeast cake into a pressurized secondary for dry hopping.
Glad to hear I couldn't find any reviews on it but it fits in my chest freezer so I figured I'd give it a shot. I also like that I can take gravity samples with picnic tap.

I love it when my supplies are delivered.

I got my order from Austin Homebrew!! Today's delivery was the grain bill for a kind of Yuengling clone but made as an ale, order complete with yeast and hops.
I have never brewed it before so that will be new.

Got 3 lbs of Extra Pale DME to replenish stock, and a new bottle filler.

Just like Christmas!!
20200507_151130.jpg

I love it when my supplies are delivered.

I got my order from Austin Homebrew!! Today's delivery was the grain bill for a kind of Yuengling clone but made as an ale, order complete with yeast and hops.
I have never brewed it before so that will be new.

Got 3 lbs of Extra Pale DME to replenish stock, and a new bottle filler.

Just like Christmas!!
Cant wait for my 14 gallon BIAB setup gets here! Also 55lbs of viking 2 row and a lb of some experimental hops forgot the name. Supposed to have melony citrus aroma and some what bitter

15890698139121685263105282935719.jpg

I ordered a metro rack a few day ago and it showed up on my front porch this morning. Go FedEx. I have recently gotten into brewing, so I recently have acquired a lot of stuff and sense I have always worked in restaurants this was the first thing I thought of.
They are affordable easy to put together and take apart.

Over the last week I've received:
27l Fermzilla with insulation jacket
Reverse osmosis filter
Beverage to beverage line for closed transfer
Submersible pump to reduce water wastage when chilling
Several different liquid yeasts
Some calcium chloride for my first foray into water treatment
Waiting for the floating dip tube and a spunding valve for the Fermzilla too

My almost weekly Burial drop made it this morning. I’m sure going to miss this when things go back to “normal”.

21917334-C499-4B04-8EAD-F5DE4C541BB9.jpeg

I suspect breweries that have been successful with this service will continue. Why wouldn't they?

I’m sure they would, but I think I’m missing your point. I don’t understand what your saying.

Edit: never mind I reread your answer and now it makes sense.

Last edited:
I suspect breweries that have been successful with this service will continue. Why wouldn't they?

Judging by the context and later posts I assume this is supposed to be directed towards me.

Up until Covid-19, Burial had no issue selling out their weekly release beers. If they were exceptionally good, people would be lined up before 7am for a noon release. Oh yeah, this is also always done on Fridays.

They haven’t come out and said it for sure, but they have definitely hinted that this practice will most likely come to an end once they can allow people in the tap room again. Online sales are also given the smallest allotment between that and their two tap rooms.

There was supposed to be a beer festival under the Space needle this weekend. Because of covid it went virtual so the beers for the virtual tastings they are doing got delivered today.
It was advertised as ten beers and some brewery swag. The brewery swag ended up being a cardboard coaster and a sticker.
As for the "beers", it wasn't really ten beers it was 7 beers a cider and two hard seltzers. Out of the 7 beers there are 4 ipa's 1 hef 1 sour and a coffee milk stout.
Kinda bummed that it wasn't all beer and that its mostly ipa's but oh well I guess that's why they call it gambling

Back