What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my order from Ritebrew the other day. Some PBW (refill in a bag), brown malt, Whirlfloc tablets, a new wine thief, and some W-34/70. I ordered 5 packets of the yeast, but only 4 were in the box. They didn't tape the bottom very well and one packet apparently escaped in transit. Ritebrew has a habit of just throwing everything in the box, willy-nilly.

20231219_133551.jpg

I sent an email alerting them; they said they'll send another packet.

Ritebrew has generally been good in the past, but I might switch to Brew Hardware, as their prices are good.

Bouncer Pro, which is HUGE compared to the Mac Daddy, which is large compared to the regular Bouncer Inline Filter. Can't wait to test it out on my latest Neipa! Also got a uKeg 64oz growler. Works with mini 8g CO2 cartridges to keep beer carbed and cold on the go. Used it once so far, and I think I need to turn the carb down a touch. Tons of foam...but cold beer!
20231225_102207.jpg
20231225_102215.jpg
20231225_133930.jpg
20231225_211756.jpg

You know it’s still good, but it should have been at a discount and with your knowledge.

The W-34/70 that was also in the order has an exp date of 05/2025, so not all their yeasts are expired. But yes, they should've been transparent on this.

I've been striking out with online vendors lately. Last month Ritebrew sent me stuff in a box with a hole in the bottom and an item missing. Now this.

Time to switch back to Morebeer and Williams. I'll pay a little more, but less chance of headaches.

Last edited:
One half of my two pound 2023 Citra T90 pellet order to YVH arrived today - which inspired an immediately issued missive back to their mothership fingering the packing perpetrator. I like the sticker though! The latest in their...I honestly don't know what...series of primordial goo residents :oops:

yvh_citra_shipment.jpg

Cheers!

Received my Apera PH60 meter and extra cal solutions from Amazon. I had the meter in my wish list and it was >$100 for quite a while. Then it dropped to $79 and I pulled the trigger.

Now to spend some time playing with it. First meter so I have some learning to do. And it will be ready for the next brew day later this week.

20240108_182055.jpg

Some goodies from Brew Hardware. An 11" BIAB false bottom for my 8 gal kettle, a Cold Crash Guardian, and a pound of Special B.

Just tested the CC Guardian for airtightness with some CO2, purged a couple times and refilled. Got it connected to the FV now and I'm dropping the temp toward lagering.

Received my Apera PH60 meter and extra cal solutions from Amazon. I had the meter in my wish list and it was >$100 for quite a while. Then it dropped to $79 and I pulled the trigger.

Now to spend some time playing with it. First meter so I have some learning to do. And it will be ready for the next brew day later this week.

View attachment 838570
That's the same meter I use. Super easy IMO. The probe does have a shelf life though, I want to say 1.5 years? No complaints, keep it cal'd and you'll be fine.

A replacement/duplicate Driver's License for the one that went missing a few weeks ago.

Really sucked when I was at the liquor store and got carded (one of those places where carding is inherent to their checkout system for beer/wine/liquor sales), went to pull it out of the wallet and it was not there.

Worst part was the line of people behind me watching me dig through the wallet and pockets but they're probably thinking this bozo doesn't even have a license and is acting like it's suddenly gone missing.

I had mentioned in another thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...ability-testing-results.728124/#post-10348720) that I had ordered a package of black keg o-rings based on what was shown in an Amazon placement and assuming they were Buna-N/Nitrile, only to receive what turned out to be a package of silicone O-rings (tipped off by the fat white lid O-rings) that I did not want.

Well, today - and totally unexpected - a package from the same vendor arrived - with all black O-rings.
And after I dinged him with my AMZ review :confused:

buna_n_o_rings.jpg

Crap. Now I have to see if I can revise my review

[edit: I could and did, going from 1 to 5 stars with an explanification ;) Now working on getting the AMZ credit cancelled so the vendor can get paid]

Cheers!

Last edited:
I don't disagree with that. But, the vendor response did sound like it was an inadvertent mistake on his supply side, and I don't feel right not squaring things away now that he made things right. I edited my original AMZ review with a preface explaining what happened since - leaving the original as fair warning - and advising that the product page be updated to clearly state what type of material is being sold.

And I'm trying to see if I can have the credit-back cancelled so he gets paid...

Cheers!

I don't disagree with that. But, the vendor response did sound like it was an inadvertent mistake on his supply side, and I don't feel right not squaring things away now that he made things right. I edited my original AMZ review with a preface explaining what happened since - leaving the original as fair warning - and advising that the product page be updated to clearly state what type of material is being sold.

And I'm trying to see if I can have the credit-back cancelled so he gets paid...

Cheers!

Yeah, I've shot from the hip with AMZ reviews a couple times, only to see that they had fixed it a short time later. In both cases I went back to edit the review and bump up to 5 stars.

Sort of like dining in a restaurant. I don't care so much if my order is screwed up. If they fix it, I act as if it never happened as far as the tip goes.

Cheers!
Secret 3rd option is that it was not a vendor issue but Amazon inventory issue. Amz is only as good as their team scanning and putting away materials.

I went back and forth with them about getting a size 3 soccer ball for my daughter in kindergarten. They kept sending me a 5. Clearly they weren't checking sizes when they received and put away the material to bin x, but the system thought that bin x was size 3 balls.

Talking with a coworker (a manger that came over from Amz) she said it was was not uncommon for that to happen. Amz was not going fall on the sword for the vendor, and the vendor was about to challenge amz and lose that distribution channel.

I am slow to point at vendors for mistakes ordered through Amz, but if it is the right product and 💩, I will likely escalate that.

I had a cordial messaging with the seller and he said he had resupplied with silicone without knowing it might not be received well. What he didn't let me know was he was working on getting things straight again. Blind-sided me bigly ;)

Cheers!

[edit] For anyone interested I posted an update/close-out here with a possibly interesting development (anyone remember "kegkits.com"? 😁)
[edit2] And it is indeed, "that" Tom Hargrave. Effin' amazing after 16 years to cross paths with him again...

Last edited:
I got two sets of Nukatap minis today with their mini shank kits. Happy to report that the threads on the tap handle screw are M6 x 1.0 not M6x0.75 as listed on the Kegland site. I don't know where I might have saw that the threads were M6x1.0 but I had ordered this set of inserts, which convert to standard tap threads. Thought I made a mistake after buying but they do fit! The inserts are short but my initial check shows they fit fine. The pack comes with five inserts so I could just use two per handle as I only have two taps. Building a new more portable jockey box!

Back