What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One still had the Dodo bird as "possibly extinct".

I've been to Mauritius a couple of times and I didn't see a single one. So I think you can go to 'probably extinct'.

But every shop on the island has at least one shelf dedicated to gaily painted carved ones, stuffed toy (not real) ones, pictures of them, Dodo shaped salt and pepper shakers etc.

Been reading Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Been around awhile but I just discovered it. Seems like a lot of good ideas.

The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis. I'm not sure I'm a C.S. Lewis fan. Seems to be a lot like Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars series, which was far superior to C.S. Lewis.
Regards, GF.

War at the Edge of the World by Ian James Ross. I haven't had a book grab me like this in quite a while. :)

Just finished this one. Page turner. Great airplane reading :) Supersonic jet accident, zombies attacking the cockpit, loads of people doing the wrong thing and covering it up, etc. Not classic lit, but... zombies :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FA5SS4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

51wpVgw4RWL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Do androids dream of electric sheep? So now I'm on to: The Philip K. Dick MEGAPACK ®: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories

That guy (Dick) never got the recognition other writers (Ray Bradbury, azimov, etc) got. But he was as good. I read half a book of short stories of his, then lost it somewhere.

I finally finished the Harry Potter series in Chinese about a month ago, and I wanted something I could page through a bit faster so I grabbed the unabridged version of Stephen King's "The Stand". Not my usual jam but it's alright, though if there was ever an author who preferred to say in fifty pages what he could have said in five, Stephen King's the one. I'm about 1000 pages in, which is to say I've got another third of the book to go. That's part of the reason I bought it, though; English books aren't as plentiful in China so when you find something that can hold your attention for a month for less than $10, it's hard to say no.

When that's done, I'll probably jump into "Vineland", one of two Pynchon novels I haven't read yet (the other being the one that came out a couple years ago), though I've got a Murakami novel waiting on the shelf as well.

I'm rereading all Terry Pratchett discworld books currently, still can't make up my mind which of the "miniseries" I prefer, although the guards and von lipwig series are leading by an hair's breath.

I audiobooked them all in chronological order of publication a few years ago and they're fun, but I'd probably stick to a few at a time in the future (and maybe group them by "miniseries" rather than chronological). After a while, they're just background noise - too much of the same thing. Some of the jokes are even recycled word-for-word across books.

Just finished up "The Guns of August" by by B. W. Tuchman. Now reading "The First World War" by John Keegan.

I've read extensively on WW2, but WW1 has never really interested me. Happily, Tuchman knows how to tell a good story, and captured my interest quickly. Now I'm good with getting the dryer play by play from Keegan, plus TGoA only covers the first month of the war, and Keegans book covers the whole shebang. :)

Frederic Pohl's Gateway is on my nightstand, though I finished it a couple nights ago. Next up is probably Richard Dawkins's The Ancestor's Story even though it is intimidatingly gigantic.

I'm busy with The Slow regard of silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss. A bit strange, but his style shines through. Just wish the ... Would finish book 3.

Currently in book 3 of the Dune series, "Children of Dune". I think it's the next book that totally lost me when I was younger. We'll see. This is is doing ok for now, although I feel it doesn't have the action or suspense like the first book or two did. It's engaging enough to keep me reading it though.

The Spice must flow!

Not really a "night stand book" but that's where it is. I'm working on "sit stretching" and "glide walking", but I'm only about half way through.
kid-friendly-018.jpg

Currently in book 3 of the Dune series, "Children of Dune". I think it's the next book that totally lost me when I was younger. We'll see. This is is doing ok for now, although I feel it doesn't have the action or suspense like the first book or two did. It's engaging enough to keep me reading it though.

The Spice must flow!

The first book is amazing, the second and third are decent, the rest is so-so
His son's books in the pre-series are pretty decent as well.

Currently reading through all the Ian Flemming Novels... Currently half way through Moonraker... side note... Ian Flemming was one racist bastard...

I don't read much SK anymore (used to!). The last one was the kennedy/oswald one, which I liked.

I was a big SK reader in my youth. I petered out on the dark tower series. I know for some it is their favorite, but just didn't grab me. I recently read Joyland. Seemed like he was trying to write a John Irving story. Not bad, not great.

I recently enjoyed Neal Stephenson's Anathema. Right now I'm re-relistening to American Gods. I'll probably watch the show at some point, but for now I'm happy to revisit the original.

I recently enjoyed Neal Stephenson's Anathema. Right now I'm re-relistening to American Gods. I'll probably watch the show at some point, but for now I'm happy to revisit the original.

The only thing that bothers me about Stephenson is that he doesn't know how to finish a book. Too often they fall into deus ex machina... Anathem was a very good example of that IMHO.

Gaiman to me has written some fun books, but part of me wonders why he's as popular as he is...

I'm a fan of Grisham's legal thrillers too, although I know what you mean about the titles. I missed Sycamore Row somehow. I know he has written other types of novels too but haven't tried any of them yet.

Reading Leviathan Wakes. About halfway through it. Pretty good so far. I want to read through all the books before watching the TV show. Probably take me years considering I am a slow reader and get easily distracted with other books.

Reading Leviathan Wakes. About halfway through it. Pretty good so far. I want to read through all the books before watching the TV show. Probably take me years considering I am a slow reader and get easily distracted with other books.

I'm already on Nemesis Games! I started watching and a friend insisted I needed to read the series and now I'm addicted.
The Planet Pirates*by Anne McCaffrey, Jody Lynn Nye, Elizabeth Moon is en route as well

About halfway through Children of Dune and Leto has taken the Spice Trip. It's suddenly very difficult to comprehend. I believe this is also where Frank Herbert ALSO took a spice trip!

I'm finally reading Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam trilogy, only I screwed up and read book 3 first.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oops.

Edit: maybe I should have cross-posted this in the "Don't Do That" thread.

I'm a fan of Grisham's legal thrillers too, although I know what you mean about the titles. I missed Sycamore Row somehow. I know he has written other types of novels too but haven't tried any of them yet.

I read his Painted House - not a legal thriller. I vaguely remember liking it.

Last legal one was King of Torts. Liked that one.

Back