What BJCP Category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aStoutObserver

Reaction score
What BJCP category would you enter this into? Understanding that you haven't tasted it of course.

My 3 options it seem are
20A) American Porter
9C) Baltic Porter
?) One of the Specialties

2 row = 11 lbs.
Crystal 60 = 1 lb.
Chocolate = 12 oz.
Flaked Oats = 12 oz.
Black Patent = 8 oz.

Og = 1.071
Fg = 1.014
Abv = 7.5%
Ibu = 52

Us-05 yeast

Looks like an American porter to me, or robust porter in the old guidelines. What's your hop schedule?

I think that fits best as a 16D Foreign Extra Stout. Review the guidelines and see if that fits.

Could also be a 20B American Stout. You might have just a little too much alcohol and hop bitterness to fit into Porter categories, so that's why I'm going with Stout (but like you said, I haven't tasted it). The alcohol is really what drives it there.

Compare the guidelines for all these while you taste it and see which one you think it fits best. Taste is what really matters, honestly... more than the recipe matters. If the alcohol is very very smooth, for instance, it could fit as a Porter.

:mug:

I assume you're asking for a competition? Otherwise, call it whatever you want.

As far as a comp, definitely more American Porter of the two you provided, but it's a bit big for that. I would absolutely NOT go Baltic Porter. American Stout is a possibility, but I don't know if the roast character is a) prominent enough or b) of the right character to do well there. You could always go with a "Mixed Style" beer, call it an "Imperial Porter" that the size of a Baltic Porter (although your FG is a bit low for that), but the character of an American Porter (assuming an appropriate hop schedule).

Thanks everyone. It really doesn't have a dominant or much of any roast characteristic, so I am hesitant to go Stout, but I appreciate all of the suggestions and will definitely read all of Stout categories to cover my bases.

And yes a competition.

Latest posts

Back