What are your experiences drying kveik?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here has tackled drying their own kveik? What has your experience been? Have you reused it yet?
I'm thinking about drying a few strains.

not an answer to your question, but: i haven't tried drying yet, because i don't think i have to. in addition to tolerating drying, kveik yeasts can last a long time under beer in the fridge. i keep a slurry in a small jar in my beer fridge. when i want to use the yeast i'll make a small starter, pitch some of it (not much!) into the new beer and return the rest of the starter to the small jar. i've gone 7-8 months between uses and the kveik wakes up just fine.

Sweetcell- I’ve been doing the same with great results. I was really just wondering what everyone’s experience has been with drying- I think it might be a cool way to share kveik.

I’ve shared small mason jars of liquid

My voss mild was brewed with 1/4 cup of 4 month old slurry. Took it out of the fridge for 30 mins while I sterilised my fermenter and pitched. Krausen within hours haha. Very hardy yeast

I can’t remember which site it was but drying seemed fairly straight forward, don’t quote me but I believe they added some slurry to baking paper and dried in a warm oven?. No experience though

Latest posts

Back