what are your beer chores?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Today I did what i think of as beer "chores."

• Cleaned and sanitized a couple of kegs
  • Emptied my keezer, cleaned and dried out some beer spill
  • Disassembled/reassembled/cleaned beer lines
  • Boiled and cooled containers for yeast

What are some other beer chores that HBT'rs can/should do with some free time?

Last night, as I cleaned out four carboys, two corney kegs and lots of lines, my 12 year old daughter noted: "Dad, it looks like brewing beer is mostly about washing dishes."

Out of the mouth of babes...

rinsing bottles, refilling the fridge, delabeling any commercial bottles, and rotating upstairs any bottled brew that needs warmer temperature (cold WI)

anything to do with cleaning. kegs, carboys, brew kettle, etc.

"brew day" used to be kind of a chore, but now I got a new tun that runs better and can get away with a single batch sparge, i'm lovin' it again.

• Pulled an empty keg out.
  • Cleaned lines.
  • Added fresh keg.
  • Drank.
  • Drank again.
  • Made label for keg...6.6% ABV. Maybe I didn't need the second one...

Seriously though, if I run out on a keg, it's usually going to involve about 30 minutes of work to pull the keg, clean it, put oxy in, flush lines, rinse lines, and put a fresh keg back on. I'm starting to worry since I've got no full kegs on deck now and 3 that are likely halfway gone.

I do a lot of my chores during my brewday though. Waiting for the mash, sparge, or boil to finish are great times to sanitize, clean, store...etc. All that "downtime" is well spent putting equipment back in its place.

I'd say any of the cleaning stuff that doesn't happen as a part of a brew day or a day I rack beer from one vessel to another is a chore.

I seam to spend more time cleaning up beer stuff then actual brewing. Kegs, bottles, fermenters, brew pots, tubing, etc... It's non stop cleaning.

When people ask me if it's difficult to make beer, I always tell them the following: If you can boil water and wash dishes, you can make beer.

Cleaning out fermenters, cleaning up after a blow out, chiseling crud out of my kettle the next day because I didn't have time to clean up after a brewed.

Brewing great beer is 99% cleaning and 1% brewing.
If you don't find a way to enjoy cleaning, you will not brew for long...

I'm not gonna go so far to say that I ENJOY the cleaning BUT knowing that it leads to beer is all the incentive I need.

Perhaps my house would be much cleaner, if it crapped out beer every so often.

Perhaps my house would be much cleaner, if it crapped out beer every so often.

How true.

I try to do something every night. It's either cleaning kegs, carboys, lines, or a part of the brewery; getting a starter ready; measuring salts, grain and/or hops out for an upcoming brew day; or just checking on fermentation temps.

Back