What are you reading now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccarter

Reaction score
Pale Ale: History, brewing, techniques, recipes. Terry Foster

About 50% into the book. Very interesting. Quite a bit of history and technical information about the style.

Pale Ale: History, brewing, techniques, recipes. Terry Foster

About 50% into the book. Very interesting. Quite a bit of history and technical information about the style.

Your thread. Lol

Also I picked up Craft Beers of the pacific northwest from my library and I will sit and reread How To Brew by Palmer often.

"The Poet" by Michael Connelly. Finished the Helles book by Horst Dornbusch a week ago or so. And I'm always kind of reading on books like "Microbrewed Adventures" and "Brewing Better Beer".

"Pale Ale: History, brewing, techniques, recipes. Terry Foster"

Great book, it was given to me by a friend who got it from a brewer at our local brewpub, it was bookmarked with thier pale ale recipe!

Right now I'm reading Norse Mythology (cant remember the author), and I'm Awesome by Jason Ellis <----hilarious!

Inferno by Dan Brown. I don't really like it but I will finish it anyway since I have nothing else on deck to read.

I generally juggle several books at once:

1) A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking (fascinating)
2) The Once and Future King - T.H. White (great so far)
3) The Wheel of Time, book IV: The Shadow Rising - Robert Jordan (okay)
4) Desert Heat - Joanna Brady (keeps putting me to sleep)

I'm giving Yeast another chance. After slogging thru chapter 2 for two months Ive managed to just about finish it in the past five days or so.

I'm giving Yeast another chance. After slogging thru chapter 2 for two months Ive managed to just about finish it in the past five days or so.

The first 2-3 chapters are painfully dry and technical, the rest is easy reading though.

Reading some cooking theory books right now regarding culinary processes and how they affect the flavors drawn from the ingredients based on temperature, cook time, oils used etc.

"The Poet" by Michael Connelly. Finished the Helles book by Horst Dornbusch a week ago or so. And I'm always kind of reading on books like "Microbrewed Adventures" and "Brewing Better Beer".

I just started Microbrewed Adventures, fun read and I'm looking forward to trying out some of the recipes in there.

Also have been dabbling in Radical Brewing and am finishing up a not-so-fun King novel.

I am also one of those who will read several books at the same time frame. I tend to be a voracious reader, especially in our long winters. I recently acquired a Kindle Fire HD for my 54th birthday and am growing used to having an ebook available wherever I go.

Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together by Sylvia Bernstein - Paperback

The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour - Paperback

A Wind Turbine Recipe Book by Hugh Piggot - eBook

Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes - eBook

Bought Pale Ale and Designing Great Beers at the same time. The next book will be Designing.

Recently read two books on Nook for PC. Tasting Beer: An insiders guide to the worlds greatest drink, and The Brewers Bible-The gold standard for home brewers.

Tasting beer was an okay book. Not really what I was after... wanted to learn about what makes a style. It was good reading, but not what I was after. The Brewers Bible was a disappointment to say the least. Especially in the eBook form. There are quite a few tables and charts that are just unreadable in that format. Neither the publisher or author has a website that the tables can be downloaded from and you can't copy/paste, or print from Nook, so I'm not able to see them. The other thing that bothered me about the book was that while the author included a number of recipes, they were all extract recipes. I'm an all grain brewer and would have to adapt all of the recipes. For a "Bible", I thought he should have at least included both extract and all grain versions. Nothing against extract brewing, it's just not how I brew.

Radical Brewing along with constantly referring to Brewing Classic Styles. Next up will be Designing Great Beers and perhaps Farmhouse Ales.

I'm about a quarter of the way into 'Ambitious Brew: the story of American beer' by Maureen ogle. I think you have to beer a history lover first and beer brewer second to appreciate it. She has really taken some left turns and departed on some strange tangents as she weaves a pretty interesting story about the beer moguls of the 18-1900s.

Yeast (terribly dry in the first couple chapters)
Farmhouse Ales (finishing up biere de garde)
Beer Lover's Colorado
Game of Thrones

The beer book I'm currently reading is "Designing Great Beers" ~ Ray Daniels

The non-beer books I'm reading are:
"The Road to Guilford Courthouse" ~ John Buchanan
"Andersonville A Story of Rebel Military Prisons" ~ John McElroy
"History of the Eighty-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, during its term of service" ~ John R Kinnear

...also listening to audiobook, "Enemies: A History of the FBI ~ Tim Weiner" while at my desk at work.

I generally juggle several books at once:

1) A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking (fascinating)
2) The Once and Future King - T.H. White (great so far)
3) The Wheel of Time, book IV: The Shadow Rising - Robert Jordan (okay)
4) Desert Heat - Joanna Brady (keeps putting me to sleep)

Interesting selection... Your #1 was definitely fascinating - until he got way too deep into describing what happens at the event horizon of a black hole. When he had to use the term "imaginary time" to describe one of the effects, I put the book down.

#2 is one of my all time favorites. I'm actually listening to an alternate telling of the same legend right now, "The Mists of Avalon." Really mixed feelings about it. Well written, but parts of the story just really fly in the face of the original source material, and not in a positive way.

Your #3 was one of my favorites of the Wheel of Time series. Loved that book.

I'm also reading L.E. Modessit's "The Order War", the fourth (I think?) novel in his Recluce saga... Definitely a cool set of stories there.

Radical Brewing along with constantly referring to Brewing Classic Styles. Next up will be Designing Great Beers and perhaps Farmhouse Ales.

Radical Brewing is the best brewing book I've ever read. Randy Mosher's knowledge is unbelievable. I'm still working up the nerve to make the chanterelle beer.

I'm reading Tricked by Kevin Hearn right now.

Re-starting "Yeast." After about 4 months of not having the time to read anything but comic books, it's nice to get back into my beer books.

Sword of Truth series for the second time. Highly recommend it if you enjoy fantasy, heck read for it's political points anyway. Waiting for next in Game of Thrones series to come out.

Sword of Truth series for the second time. Highly recommend it if you enjoy fantasy, heck read for it's political points anyway. Waiting for next in Game of Thrones series to come out.

It's funny you mention that. Look what I just got today. The first book was pretty good. I'm more of a Brent Weeks/Brandon Sanderson fan, but I plan on reading the whole series.

sword of truth.jpg

Back