What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modern chemistry. One with Peanut Butter Extract. One with Maple and Vanilla Extract.

PXL_20220608_224011421.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220609_004746936.PORTRAIT.jpg

Bastard!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? You too? It really is the flavor?

I hate you so much right now ;)

For the last five years I've been telling myself, "No, we're not going to set up a sauergut reactor in our apartment. All the electrical outlets are accounted for and where is there space for this thing?"

Oh, but it's summertime, I don't have to heat it. All I have to do is put it in a gallon jug and leave it on the kitchen counter, we'll call it an "experiment." You know, just to see. There's no way this could turn into something more involved, right?

And so it begins.

What has become of me? I used to be a halfway decent brewer of UK ales with a big blue cooler for a mashtun. Now I have a gigantic stainless monstrosity of a mashtun, multiple pumps, a bunch of oddly shaped things that I affix to that big mashtun, a big box full of various powders, several jars with mixtures of those powders and instructions written on the lid. And then there's the carefully bent metal surfaces that I float on all my liquids. So many of them... All to service the mighty LODO.

Where did I go wrong?

And now I'm going to make a bioreactor?! Sane people don't have reactors, of any sort, in their homes! It wasn't supposed to be like this!!!!!

Thanks for the final push, Camonick. I'm eager to see where it leads me. :bigmug:
Do you have a sous vide? It’s not too difficult.

Ok, @Bramling Cross , here’s one for you. HB Vienna lager. Could use a little more carbonation, but tastes and looks great. I’ve been chasing a flavor I get when I drink imported German beers. There are several threads running with the same discussion. A lot of research lead me to their (Germans) use of sauergut. I made a batch and packaged it in quart canning jars. I added some to a Hefeweizen I did a while ago and also this Vienna. I can say with 99% certainty, this is the flavor.
Not great lighting and glass is frosted over.
View attachment 771261

Any chance this is the hole in the Guinness attempts?

HB APA smash with Pils and Ella. Finally getting there.

19A0B90E-44A1-4DB5-B9D9-829A37073A42.jpeg

Any chance this is the hole in the Guinness attempts?
Funny that you mention that, because I made a batch of sauergut with stout wort and added it to my most recent attempt. It’s definitely closer, but there’s still something missing. It might just be a matter of dialing in my water minerals or mash techniques. Tastes better than anything I’ve done so far. I can say that all the suggestions on the internet that say to use “sour beer” are wrong… there’s a huge flavor difference.
381A8FAF-501E-465A-B164-7B8718FE9E73.jpeg

View attachment 771262
Grapefruit and rosemary mead, paired nicely with a grilled pork chop.
That is awesome your beer or mead should I say won the 2nd prize- there are probably different divisions but a friend Paul locally who brews super beers got a first place ribbon in that same competition for a nice stout he made

That is awesome your beer or mead should I say won the 2nd prize- there are probably different divisions but a friend Paul locally who brews super beers got a first place ribbon in that same competition for a nice stout he made
Thank you, yes I was told it was a tight competition and several flights were 10-15 entries, so kudos to all the winners.

Back