What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few Christmas Newcastles (meh) with the family on Christmas Eve.
imgly_5176697231684144889.jpg

A belated Merry Christmas to y'all - bottle of Prosecco :)
PXL_20211225_202214225.jpg

And for this evening, a sour from OEC (@wstbrewing). I find OEC to be on the higher end of the week sour-o-meter. This was a bit much.
imgly_1472243532080045862.jpg

Christmas presents, one from myself
If a job’s gotta be done right, sometimes you gotta do it yourself

😄

[edit] I always buy myself at least one Christmas present every year because I know other people won’t and I don’t want to be disappointed.

Last edited:
If a job’s gotta be done right, sometimes you gotta do it yourself

😄

[edit] I always buy myself at least one Christmas present every year because I know other people won’t and I don’t want to be disappointed.
I was buying some French beers I'd never tried for my nephew and I decided a few looked interesting enough to buy for myself

Dastardly Deceased Dude while watching Eagles - Giants. Forgot how awesome Voss is... taking me on a ride from mouth watering caramel malt flavor and aroma through some citrus and to a refreshingly bitter clean finish.

Northern Brewer all-grain rogue dead guy clone. Highly recommend this kit. This is one of the top 3 beers I have ever brewed. 90 minute BIAB mash, pitched @90F with Voss Kveik. 2 week fermentation, 1 week on dry hop then kegged. Definitely use a hop bag for the dry hop.
Reached its peak flavor after 2 weeks cold conditioning. Boss!
View attachment 753476
I love Northern Brewer, they are my fave online brew supply store. But I'm a bit miffed with them right now. I was supposed to get a Mark II keg washer from them by Xmas Eve and it still isn't here 2 days after Big Red came through 😧😒

Worth saving for that long or just doing it for the sake of doing it?

It's a happy accident. I thought it was gone about 16 years ago but recently stumbled across one last bottle. I thought it might be nice to drink it over the holidays.

It's the best alcoholic beverage I've ever tasted without a doubt. No exaggeration. The honey nose is incredible. Pop the top off that decanter and it fills your nose at arm's length. All blueberry character is gone but the drink has massive body, I think due to the berries. It feels heavy and creamy in the mouth. The combo of knock-you-over honey aroma and full bodied creamy mouthfeel is wonderful and completely intoxicating, the alcohol not withstanding. Alcohol content seems to be high, more than the average wine.

The batch was very harsh and completely unpleasant to drink after 11-12 years. It seems that even the worst crap ages to magnificence if you're willing to wait 1/3 of your life to drink it.

I was totally clueless when I made it. There was little homebrew info on the Internet back then. The web was still a baby in 1995. Yahoo was king. Google wasn't a thing.

I threw many pounds of random wildflower honey from the local hippie food shop and a whole flat of fresh blueberries into a 5 gallon carboy, topped with water, and pitched a wine yeast. When fermentation ended I bottled it. I didn't know a thing about nutrients, fermentation temperature, finings, secondarys, or pretty much anything. I guessed on the honey and fruit amount. No testing or calculation of gravity. It took forever to fully clear...like years. It ended up with a lot of sediment in the bottles. It didn't look like yeast. I believe it was stuff from the berries. I've tasted it. It was extremely astringent.

I only wish I had misplaced an entire case...or two.

Back