What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2/1/2016 cellar fav
IMG_20191031_204751.jpeg
IMG_20191031_204943.jpeg

We are celebrating a colleague defending his thesis tomorrow at the YardHouse but there’s a crew of us pregaming at the new Fenway tap room. I hear the lines are as bad as Canton, and the beers at TimeOut market are way over priced. I guess the positive is that I’ll pick up some Sinister Kid bottles while at Trill
Honestly Canton lines aren't as bad as Treehouse and Fort Point isn't bad if they had quality people running the register. The Fenway is a perfect neighborhood location except for the mall. Easy parking and the Fenway is a nice place in the spring. I'd actually say the Bier Garden gets pretty bad too. We need more beer :)

In the end all the places are good in the off days.

EPIC

We had our first family Halloween but did not coordinate like y’all did.
IMG_8263.JPG

I spent the evening hosting the 2nd Annual Pints for Parents Trick or Treat event out front of my house. Handing out pints of HB Octoberfest to interested parents accompanying their kids. Handed out 16 pints total this year.

IMG_4625.JPG

EPIC

View attachment 650649

I spent the evening hosting the 2nd Annual Pints for Parents Trick or Treat event out front of my house. Handing out pints of HB Octoberfest to interested parents accompanying their kids. Handed out 16 pints total this year.

View attachment 650650
You guys look great too. I can’t take any credit though, came home from work and my wife said “put this on”... yes ma’am lol

Looks very good. Your own recipe or from online somewhere?

Not online, but my LHBS makes up their own extract / partial mash kits. I actually brewed several of these before I found real Old Chub at a local package store. The real stuff was pretty decent, I liked it, but the kit is actually a little more flavorful, and a wee bit higher ABV (9.5%).
In fact, I have one of these kits in the batcave, and will probably cook it up after I get back from Mozambique.

Great stuff! Trader Joe's usually carries it..at least here in S.E Michigan. It's where I actually first ever bought it.
It's like a tried & true here at Wegmans that no one buys. Whenever I see the Orval $5< or Rasputin 4pk<$10 is the best bargain in the world to put in cellar and forget. I think the rasp is pasteurized but if u age it for more than 3 years it gets even better. One of my fav bar owners use to be the only one who drank it and he aged it in their cooler. So good to go out to eat and get it at dinner for $4. I was in heaven. Waitress use to tell me that me and the owner was the only people to drink it

It's like a tried & true here at Wegmans that no one buys. Whenever I see the Orval $5< or Rasputin 4pk<$10 is the best bargain in the world to put in cellar and forget. I think the rasp is pasteurized but if u age it for more than 3 years it gets even better. One of my fav bar owners use to be the only one who drank it and he aged it in their cooler. So good to go out to eat and get it at dinner for $4. I was in heaven. Waitress use to tell me that me and the owner was the only people to drink it
I will try that! Be hard to forget a 6 of Rasps' though! Be calling me lol! Like my 2 Animator Doppelbocks I put away 3 years ago...think about them everyday! I'm trying to save them for last 5 minuets before the bombs go off! Screw a last meal! A dip and a good chug of something dark and strong!

For the price you can't go wrong so I keep the 4pk pushing back the other and eventually I get distracted by something else. Throw a couple quads or other RIS and it's a nice surprise. The Brett stuff like Orval changes dramatically from from amazing to hot to bland so Rasp is a fav. It could be in my head. I'm not a fan of Bigfoot but I have a bunch I've tried to offload because I'm not impressed but Paulie at Masstoberfest gave me some 5 yo and I was in love
I will try that! Be hard to forget a 6 of Rasps' though! Be calling me lol! Like my 2 Animator Doppelbocks I put away 3 years ago...think about them everyday! I'm trying to save them for last 5 minuets before the bombs go off! Screw a last meal! A dip and a good chug of something dark and strong!

@seanjwalker1

Old Chubby recipe

9 lbs light DME
1 lb 60L crystal malt
8 oz peated malt
8 oz melanoiden
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz Belgian aromatic

2 oz EKG (bittering)(50 min)
1 oz Fuggle (flavor)(10 min)
1 oz EKG (aroma)(flameout)
5 oz priming sugar
1 pk Muntons premium Gold dry yeast

Start with 3 gallons soft water
Steep grains at 155 for 30 mins. Squeeze out the bag. Bring to a boil, then add all DME. After another 10 mins, add bittering hops. Boil 40 minutes, add flavor hops. Boil 10 more mins, add aroma hops, flameout. Add 2 gallons soft water.

OG 1.087
FG 1.022
ABV 9.5%
SRM 16
IBU 28

@seanjwalker1

Old Chubby recipe

9 lbs light DME
1 lb 60L crystal malt
8 oz peated malt
8 oz melanoiden
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz Belgian aromatic

5 oz priming sugar

Steep grains at 155 for 30 mins. Squeeze out the bag. Bring to a boil, then add all DME. After another 10 mins, add bittering hops. Boil 40 minutes, add flavor hops. Boil 10 more mins, add aroma hops, flameout. Add 2 gallons soft water.

OG 1.087
FG 1.022
ABV 9.5%
SRM 16
IBU 28
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

@seanjwalker1

Old Chubby recipe

9 lbs light DME
1 lb 60L crystal malt
8 oz peated malt
8 oz melanoiden
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz Belgian aromatic

5 oz priming sugar

OG 1.087
FG 1.022
ABV 9.5%
SRM 16
IBU 28
Wouldn't happen to have the all-grain by chance too would you?

Wouldn't happen to have the all-grain by chance too would you?

No, I don't. My LHBS doesn't sell any all grain kits. Give me a day or two, and I can get a recipe for you.

Pointless info: anything less than 8% is termed Scottish ale and anything over 8 % is termed Scotch ale.
Who'da thunk it?

My clone recipe book has it, but at OG 1.078 and FG 1.020, ABV 7.4%, with a hellacious grain bill.

Last edited:
EPIC

View attachment 650649

View attachment 650650

I really like this idea!! May have to copy you

No, I don't. My LHBS doesn't sell any all grain kits. Give me a day or two, and I can get a recipe for you.

Pointless info: anything less than 8% is termed Scottish ale and anything over 8 % is termed Scotch ale.
Who'da think it?

My clone recipe book has it, but at OG 1.078 and FG 1.020, ABV 7.4%, with a hellacious grain bill.
Don't bother with it! Just if you happen to come across one! I don't mind extract just a lot more expensive. I've never used anything other than Fuggle, Willamette and E. Kent Goldings for my English/Scotch ales.

Back