What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So making candi sugar isnt necessary? If the wort can invert table or beet sugar itself, there would be not point in making candi sugar. The whole process of making candi sugar is to invert it. Boiling wort would not bring the sugar/acid up to a hot enough temp to invert it (260-275*F)

My understanding is that you don't need that much heat to invert it, the heat is required for caramelization/darkening. Also the boiling point of the mixture is much higher than water due to the high concentration of sugar. Check out the little chart here:
Invert Sugar chart

It's not very detailed, but the important thing is that time, temp and acidity are all factors in inversion.

The DAP version seems to talk about maillard reactions, separate from the caramelization (with acid). Not sure about that either...

I've read numerous times where people say that making candi sugar is unnecessary because the sugar will invert in the boiling wort anyway. I'm no expert on that subject, but I will offer my opinion. I personally wouldn't waste my time making clear candi sugar. I would just do what I've always done, and add corn sugar. Most likely get the same effect. What made me want to make candi sugar is the fact that I wanted dark sugar. That's the only advantage, to me, to making candi sugar, is if you want the flavor contributions that would come from amber or darker.

Agreed on this too.

Some frat boy just walked up to the bar asking to sample new IPAs. Reminded me of @coldcrash when I took him to his first bar. Owner, my buddy, said Troegs just began to distribute hard here in CT. Guy tastes Perpetual and says, "Amazing, amazing, amazing." With a lip smack. Good thing I'm not drunk.

You ever talk to someone, a month after the wedding, who did the disposables on the table thing?

Every person I know who did that said there were more penis pictures on those things than they could count. Booze + cameras + access to public restrooms = penises all over the place. You can check my math, but I'm pretty sure it checks out.

I ran the numbers. Your calculations are correct. ;) View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423249219.744734.jpgI'm obviously bored.....

I just use my wife's non-stick baking pan now.

I'm still not drinking and @Remmy can go @Hello himself for all I care :p

What does Hello'ing one self entail?

I may have had something to drink like Secret Stache Stout, Big Bad Baptist #48, and BA Groundhog whatever...and coke with a burger for ultimate fatness. I am sleepy as all get out.

What does Hello'ing one self entail?

I may have had something to drink like Secret Stache Stout, Big Bad Baptist #48, and BA Groundhog whatever...and coke with a burger for ultimate fatness. I am sleepy as all get out.

Not sure, you'll have to ask @Remmy

Got a couple hopslam and my first ever gose to try tonight :ban:

Still "working" so I'm still drinking water...
No pic for @coldcrash or for @finsfan for that matter

Salesman just sat his coffee down on the dwg package I been working on all day, was like .."yo you're going to leave a stain on it.."

He reaches for it and spills it all over my desk.

just-wanted-to-let-you-know-that-i-meant-to-put-my-two-weeks-notice-in-two-weeks-ago-aor.png

I think DC needs to chime in with his expert advice. :D

"Belgian candi is sugar. There is a slight difference though. Belgian candi is fructose and glucose. Table sugar is sucrose. The reason for the difference is Belgian candi has been inverted. Inverted sugar is produced by splitting sucrose into fructose and glucose. Yeast has a field day with fructose and glucose, but struggles a bit with sucrose. To break down sucrose, the yeast must first produce an invertase enzyme. It’s an extra step for the yeast, but the yeast (and most organisms) can do it.
Some people report the enzyme produced by the yeast can give the beer an off flavor. Just to be safe, it would be better if you can first break your table sugar down into the monosaccharides. To break down the sucrose, you can use an enzyme (from the yeast in your wort), or you can use acid and heat."

On our end its all speculative and dependent on what others have done research on. I would like to take wort and split it two ways with table sugar and clear candi sugar to see if you can taste the difference.

A little late to the party but I will chime in. Clear candi sugar is ablsolutely pointless, no different than corn or table sugar in how it will contribute to the beer but the malliard reactions that occur as you boil down the sugar in the process to get dark candi is what will give you the flavors. I use sugar in the raw for my dark candi sugar and use a pinch of acid blend (I also use this when making random wines). I boil mine for at least 2 hours between 260-275f making sure it gets a nice deep amber color and it makes all the difference for Dubbels and Quads IMO.

A little late to the party but I will chime in. Clear candi sugar is ablsolutely pointless, no different than corn or table sugar in how it will contribute to the beer but the malliard reactions that occur as you boil down the sugar in the process to get dark candi is what will give you the flavors. I use sugar in the raw for my dark candi sugar and use a pinch of acid blend (I also use this when making random wines). I boil mine for at least 2 hours between 260-275f making sure it gets a nice deep amber color and it makes all the difference for Dubbels and Quads IMO.

Good to know! When I make candi sugar, I typically will go a little darker than clear, probably pushing amber, just to give it some extra flavor. Ive used it in Saisons and tripels with good success. It is certainly a pain to make and the cleanup is even worse haha.

Good to know! When I make candi sugar, I typically will go a little darker than clear, probably pushing amber, just to give it some extra flavor. Ive used it in Saisons and tripels with good success. It is certainly a pain to make and the cleanup is even worse haha.

Tell me about it! Ever try making 31lbs of dark candi sugar for a 5bbl batch of Dubbel? Good times as long as you aren't on clean up...

Yo @remmy what does "hello'ing" one self entail?

Man, my damn head hurts. I really should take it easy.

Tell me about it! Ever try making 31lbs of dark candi sugar for a 5bbl batch of Dubbel? Good times as long as you aren't on clean up...

Haha that sounds terrible. I normally make a few pounds at a time and I have to take a razor blade to the stove after to clean all that junk off. Sugar somehow manages to get everywhere.

This would be for a quad, so also interested in the dark candi. So nobody here has tried the DAP method? It's a long thread, I'll have to keep reading I guess. The biggest appeal so far is that it sounds like it speeds up the process a lot.

Not in any rush, so I might try making a batch of each and taste testing the results. Won't really be the same as side-by-side in the same beer recipe, but should be interesting anyway.

EDIT: for anyone who really cares:
"DAP provides Nitrogen for mailard reactions (non enzymatic browning) to occur. These occur between ~270F and ~320F. Another source of nitrogen is ammonium bicarbonate. It is a leaven used by professional bakers.

As DAP breaks down around ~270F it separates into two molecules of ammonium and dehydrate-phosphoric acid. So it provides both the nitrogen for browning and the acid for inversion."

Back