What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sculpin home brew.

image-156914363.jpg

Devil Dancer finally made its way to my neck of the woods. I was really excited, but it's not exactly what I was expecting. It's a lot fuller bodied than I was expecting, pretty much an American barleywine. It's a good beer, don't get me wrong, but if I didn't know it was a triple IPA, I'd tell you it was an American barleywine. Might seem like I am splitting hairs a bit, I just don't think it is what it claims to be.

20130706_182200.jpg

My white IPA

20130706_184036_HDR_Doris.jpg

White IPA isn't as dumb as Black IPA, but it seems like more imaginative or at least accurately descriptive names are in order for some of the newer hoppy styles.

Devil Dancer finally made its way to my neck of the woods. I was really excited, but it's not exactly what I was expecting. It's a lot fuller bodied than I was expecting, pretty much an American barleywine. It's a good beer, don't get me wrong, but if I didn't know it was a triple IPA, I'd tell you it was an American barleywine. Might seem like I am splitting hairs a bit, I just don't think it is what it claims to be.

I think Triple IPA is perfect for that one. Triple IPAs are always nasty.

White IPA isn't as dumb as Black IPA, but it seems like more imaginative or at least accurately descriptive names are in order for some of the newer hoppy styles.

I think Triple IPA is perfect for that one. Triple IPAs are always nasty.

Agreed, mine is more accurately a wheat ipa, but it's still more pils than wheat. Maybe just a hoppy Belgian wit? It's pretty citrusy

Sea dog was marketing theirs as a light ipa today which I thought odd.

"Hopluia". Spilker Ales in Cortland, NE, makes a mighty fine not-so-bitter but bitter just 'nuff and quite hoppy, aromatic dream. Available in 22's and various local outlets on tap.

Will be tuning my recipe to eventually at least come close. Ok, somewhat close. Ball park? Ball park parking lot? Well, I'm gunna try. Will tour the place hopefully soon to see if I can glean some ideas in that regard...

Agreed, mine is more accurately a wheat ipa, but it's still more pils than wheat. Sea dirg was marketing theirs as a light ipa today which I thought odd.

Light as in enzyme blasted for reduced calories or light as in 'a lighter shade of pale'?

Light as in enzyme blasted for reduced calories or light as in 'a lighter shade of pale'?

Don't know the waitress couldn't tell me why it was called a light IPA. so I went with a blonde.

It was with the Belgians on their menu

Edit: incidentally the waitress was blonde

DCHokie's Saison, bottled 10-7-12.

image-3415257609.jpg

image-1613443923.jpg

Brett bottled, with a nice, subtle Thai basil addition. Awesome aroma, obviously brilliant clarity from the time and Brett. Very tasty saison. Thanks Ryan!

Color is more of a deep shade of amber. Great beer. The smell is cloves and a little spice from the rye with a hint of citrus mixed in there and also a little preview of the 12%. Taste is sweet and tart with dark fruits and a little presence of alcohol. Oats and wheat give it a real nice smooth finish with lots of flavor. Good beer, gotta tell my friend at the bottle shop to save a couple for me.

ForumRunner_20130706_182221.png

A friends zombie dust clone. It's really good. I'm always amazed at how awesome his beers are since he has no temp control.

ForumRunner_20130706_173521.jpg

Weird Belgiany dry stoutish roasty dark ale I made last month. Through a British sparkler tap.

image-3804975172.jpg

Creamy and roasty.

Some white wine sangria at salt lick BBQ after jester king. Couldn't do a shiner after all the amazing JK brews. Just didn't seem right. Serious food coma now, time for a nap before heading back out.

Back