What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a tendency to overuse packing materials to the point of borderline OCD. I make sure that nothing short of them running over the box will break a bottle. I'm trying to take extra care with the three JK 750ml bottles. It would be a shame for anything to happen to one of them.

I'm so excited I cant wait to try them I may age the kitty poo one though.

How is it I'll have to set up a trade in the future with you if you would like I'm thinking I'm going to want to try all of jester kings offerings ;)

Im always downvwith trades. Im sure I can find most jk offerings. I might find that one again. All is a tough order to fill haha

How is it?

Im enjoying it. Mild sourness suttle smokiness. Not my favorite of jester king but good neither-the-less

Currently enjoying a bomber of Long Ireland pale ale wet hopped with hops grown at a local farm. Yummmmmmmy.

First Long Ireland post I've seen! Their IPA is killer!

Drinking a HB Robust Porter... Used US-05 and it's good... s-04 would've made this fantastic.

Care to share the recipe? A buddy and I are doing our first saison next Saturday and we are looking for a go-to recipe.

Sure but I'm using a proprietary yeast. You should be able to get away with wy3724. Or the French saison one what is it 3711?

9.0 lb Belgian Pilsner malt
3.0 lb Wheat malt
0.5 lb Vienna malt
0.25 lb Acidulated malt
1.0 lb Candi sugar, 5 min
1.5 oz willamette pellet hops, 5.5% AA 60 min
1.5 oz Saaz pellet hops, 4.0% AA, 10 min I
0.25 tsp Corriander, coarsely crushed, 5 min
Peel from 1/2 an orange, grated, 5 min
aly11 Belgian Saison Yeast

Specifications:
5.5 gal
Original Gravity: 1.069
SRM: 4
IBUs: 34
Efficiency: 70%
Boil: 60 min
Directions:
Mash in at 120 °F (1.2 qt./lb strike water) for a 20 minute protein rest. Raise to 150 °F and hold for 60 minutes before mashing out. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops and spices as indicated. Add candi sugar with 5 minutes remaining in the boil.

Ferment at 65 F ambient slowly ramping up to 90 F then back down to settle in around 70.

Great recipe for bugs too, also have done open ferment, but I don't suggest it.

DisturbdChemist said:
Im enjoying it. Mild sourness suttle smokiness. Not my favorite of jester king but good neither-the-less

I might pick myself up one. If I do, I might put it away for a little bit.

Enjoying a Fuller's 2011 vintage ale. Now this a classy fantastic sipper.

This... can't remember for sure from who tho Billy-Klubb maybe. Good beer.!!

ForumRunner_20130527_180917.png

Billy-Klubb said:
you'll be wearing your friends flippity floppers on your hands before too long! and probably singing "We Are the World".

and my efficiency went up 10%! I was getting about 75%, but got about 85% today! only thing I did different was use that fancy new mill.

Which mill was that? I used to get anywhere from 70% down to 40% from HBS crushes before I got mine.

Sure but I'm using a proprietary yeast. You should be able to get away with wy3724. Or the French saison one what is it 3711?

9.0 lb Belgian Pilsner malt
3.0 lb Wheat malt
0.5 lb Vienna malt
0.25 lb Acidulated malt
1.0 lb Candi sugar, 5 min
1.5 oz willamette pellet hops, 5.5% AA 60 min
1.5 oz Saaz pellet hops, 4.0% AA, 10 min I
0.25 tsp Corriander, coarsely crushed, 5 min
Peel from 1/2 an orange, grated, 5 min
aly11 Belgian Saison Yeast

Specifications:
5.5 gal
Original Gravity: 1.069
SRM: 4
IBUs: 34
Efficiency: 70%
Boil: 60 min
Directions:
Mash in at 120 °F (1.2 qt./lb strike water) for a 20 minute protein rest. Raise to 150 °F and hold for 60 minutes before mashing out. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops and spices as indicated. Add candi sugar with 5 minutes remaining in the boil.

Ferment at 65 F ambient slowly ramping up to 90 F then back down to settle in around 70.

Great recipe for bugs too, also have done open ferment, but I don't suggest it.

I've been brewing a lot of saisons and belgian beers lately. That one looks good though I may have to give it a whirl myself.

bottlebomber said:
Which mill was that? I used to get anywhere from 70% down to 40% from HBS crushes before I got mine.

I never was happy with the LHBS crush either. I never got over 65%. I took a chance on a corona mill that was on sale and now I usually get 85%.

U have the huck honey on tap while there??

Not yet they have been expanding the brewery and its a mess there right now. I know they brewed it but I think its a few weeks away from bottling. They had 3 whim/brewery only beers on tap. They always have great beer wish I could share some of there on tap stuff! When the red dread runs out the honey will hit the shelves. Talking with the head brewer Tony and he said the distributors are always pushing for the huckleberry honey as its a big seller. Will snag some up for ya when they come out.

Had two magic hats out of the fridge that have been in there for awhile and had an abita restoration pale ale

I got the Barley Crusher from Northern Brewer. I was using a generic grinder mill called a Carona. one stationary round plate, one rotating. ok crush (very hard to dial in), but it shredded the hulls bad. I'd been using rice hulls most every batch just for a decent bed.

I got the Barley Crusher from Northern Brewer. I was using a generic grinder mill called a Carona. one stationary round plate, one rotating. ok crush (very hard to dial in), but it shredded the hulls bad. I'd been using rice hulls most every batch just for a decent bed.

Too late now, but did you ever try conditioning your grain before you ran it through that corona? I find that the husks come off much more whole that way. It'll work on that fancy shmancy BC two roller, too. :mug:

not mine, brutha! hand writing is way too good. taste like a Doppel Bock?

More like a dark hef with a touch of a sour finish. Good stuff I really like it.

I've never had the real dirty bastard before though he sent me one but I took it to the tasting at the lhbs last weekend and someone dropped it and a white oaked jai alai that allenh had sent me and they both broke :( oh well it was just beer... but bummed out I didn't get to try them.

Too late now, but did you ever try conditioning your grain before you ran it through that corona? I find that the husks come off much more whole that way. It'll work on that fancy shmancy BC two roller, too. :mug:

It's extra work, but getting the grain sprayed down makes a huge difference with the corona mill. Still get a ton of flour, but the husks come out more intact and lautering is much easier.

Finishing up the growler of hb amarillo saison. Didn't time the day drunk too well for the cook out, but managed to ride it out at the grill. ;)

Need my rest. Big day of grocery shopping for my anniversary dinner and then (hopefully) 8 good/rare Allagash beers on tap tomorrow.

Welcome home beer. I'm taking tomorrow off so I might have the DFH120 that's sitting in my fridge.

image-4185770993.jpg

It's extra work, but getting the grain sprayed down makes a huge difference with the corona mill. Still get a ton of flour, but the husks come out more intact and lautering is much easier.

I don't find it to be that much more work, I mean, I do use a hand-crank grain mill. Spraying on a little water and mixing it up isn't gonna fend me off.

Gravity sample from Stone Old Guardian clone got all the way down to 1.008!!!! F#ck yeah! And it tastes phenomenal!! Sooo super hoppy!

ForumRunner_20130527_210618.jpg

ForumRunner_20130527_210532.jpg

A freshly drinkable dry Irish stout in memory of a good friend that passed away this morning...

My condolences as well. I'm cracking into one of my favorites my last one at that. Thank you AllenH ! I have a hard time every fourth of July as a dear friend of mine was killed in a car accident in 2003.

ForumRunner_20130527_190944.jpg

LoloMT7 said:
My condolences as well. I'm cracking into one of my favorites my last one at that. Thank you AllenH ! I have a hard time every fourth of July as a dear friend of mine was killed in a car accident in 2003.

I hate goodbyes with that beer! I just brought back four from Orlando :)

One of a handfull of myfavorate pumpkin ales. Point -whole hog series.

Still got a pumking in my fridge from last year which I may crack open this summer sometime, as well as basement aging one for next year. Got a shipyard Smashed pumpkin too aging for next year.

point pumpkin.jpg

Coffee while I curse my in laws for calling in a surprise visit. "We haven't seen your new place yet" I was just about to mash in on a wonderful saison. Grumble grumble grumble.

I had a similar but different senario today...

I was mashed in on my Kolsch....MIL called and said her brother whose in canada fishing with my FIL had water in his basement after I was at the inlaws until 11 pumping theirs...

Grumble Grumble Grumble....Just pitched yeast at 8

Latest posts

Back